Of Special Historic
Family & Local Histories
This Day in Wisconsin History
Wisconsin Historical Timeline
Wisconsin State Symbols
I love old
1851-1991 Panoramic Photos
Arcadia Historical Photos
Calumet County Old Photos
Clark County, WI Old Photos
Green Lake County Photos
H. H. Bennett Studio
Madison Historic Photos
Menomonie Main Street Photos
Milwaukee Historical Photos
Neenah Historical Photos
Oshkosh Digital Collection
Oshkosh Public Museum Photos
Polk County Archives Photos
Richland County Historical Images
Rusk County Photographs
Sauk County Historical Photos
Scandinavia Historical Photos
St. Croix County Historical Photos
Trempealeau County Historical Photos
Washburn County Historical Photos
Waupaca Historic Photos
Waushara Co. Historic Photos and Postcards
Waushara County Photo Album
Wisconsin Heritage Online Digital Gallery
Wisconsin Historic Photo Gallery
Free Wisconsin Travel Guides
History with its flickering lamp stumbles along
the trail of the past, trying to reconstruct its scenes, to revive its
echoes, and kindle with pale gleams the passion of former days....
START YOUR FAMILY TREE!
We'll Start Searching for you!
Nations of Wisconsin
Wisconsin History Highlights
Madeline Island Historical Museum
Island Ferry to the island from Bayfield to explore the
history of this lovely island.
Chetek Area Calhoun Museum
Operated by the Chetek Area Historical
Society, the museum is devoted to the promotion and
interpretation of the history of the greater Chetek area of
northern Wisconsin. The museum features Native
American exhibits, lumber trade exhibits, history of the
tourist industries and manufacturing industries along with
Chetek's residents involvement in the U. S. Military.
Located at 120 Knapp Street in Chetek, WI.
Pioneer Village Museum
and Map Tour]
A delightful village to ramble through,
containing over 40 buildings including 5 historic log cabins.
Stroll down Pioneer Street and learn what life was like in the
Neville Public Museum of Brown County
Neville's Museum of History, Art and Science.
Elmer's Auto & Toy Museum
hundreds of muscle, antique, and classic cars and trucks as
well as pedal cars and antique toys and dolls, Elmer's Auto
& Toy Museum can be enjoyed by visitors of all ages.
Located at W903 Elmers Road in Fountain City, WI.
Fort Folle Avoine Historical Park [Indian Village]
history on this historic site next to an authentic Woodland
Indian Village, where fur trading posts operated from
1802-1805. Located on County Road U between Danbury and
Grantsburg Area Historical Society and Museum
Housed in a late
1800s Methodist Church, the museum offers exhibits relating to
the history of the area along with a genealogy library which
contains local records. An old 1870 jail house and the
1800 Stenborg House are part of the property.
1897 Clark County Jail Museum
Clark County Jail Museum on Facebook]
Operated by the Clark County Historical
Society, the museum features the jail along with the
beautiful sheriff's residence housed inside the same
building. A large military exhibit is found on the
third floor. Located at 215 E. 5th Street in
Visitors can take a step back in time to the
early 1900s in Greenwood, Wisconsin. Wooden sidewalks
take them past 17 early storefronts in Greenwood.
Exhibits include early artifacts, tools, dairy farm
implements, and photographs. Located at 600 S. Main
Street in Greenwood, WI.
The lovely 1885 Tuft's Mansion still contains
the original plate glass windows. Partially restored,
the mansion is opened for tours seasonally and is available
for rentals. Located at 26 Hewett Street in
Indian Agency House
Built by the United States Government in
1832, the historic Indian Agency House was created for the
Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk Nation (Winnebago Indian).
The house has been furnished with American antiques.
It is owned and operated by The National Society of The
Colonial Dames of America in the State of Wisconsin.
Located on Agency Road just 1 mile east of downtown Portage,
Wisconsin Dells [History]
& Attraction Guide]
A lovely place to
visit. The boat tours are great and the rock formations
and cliffs are incredible. It is easy to imagine Indians
standing lookout on these cliffs in the long ago past. Located
in the City of Wisconsin Dells.
Mount Horeb Area Historical Society Museum
The museum features over 4000 square feet of
historic items, documents and photographs from the
collection of the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society.
Located at 100 South Second Street in Mt. Horeb, WI.
Prairie Historical Museum [Sun Prairie Death List]
Sun Prairie's heritage comes
alive. Walking tours and presentations are offered.
Located at 115 East Main Street in downtown Sun Prairie,
Wisconsin Historical Museum
Explore the rich
history of Wisconsin in this major history museum located at
30 N. Carroll Street, Madison, WI on the square.
Wisconsin Veterans Museum
Learn about the
military history of Wisconsin state. A research center
is on the premises and offers online assistance.
Address: 30 W. Mifflin St., Madison, WI.
County Historical Museum [Famous
People from Beaver Dam]
Dedicated to the preservation of Dodge County
history, the museum relates the early history of Beaver Dam
long with exhibits of what life was like in the Pioneer days.
John Hustis House Museum
Built in 1851 by John Hustis (founder of
Hustisford), the home today is filled with antiques and
artifacts related to the history of the early settlement of
Located at 134 North Ridge Street in Hustisford,
Mayville Limestone School Museum
of this building was started in 1857 and was used as a
public school for 125 years. Today it houses a museum
devoted to the history of this school and Marysville.
Located at the corner of North Main & Buchanan Streets in
22 South Madison Street, Waupun, 53963
Phone: (920) 324-7931
Door County Maritime Museum
Learn about the
nautical history of Door County, WI. Visitors will see
exhibits about ships and lighthouses along with many
exhibits about Pirates in Wisconsin.
Historical Downtown Menomonie
Louis Smith Tainter House
three story 1890 mansion was built of sandstone by Captain
Andrew Tainter as a wedding gift for his son Louis and wife
Effie. Today it houses the Stout Alumni Association
and the Stout University Foundation. Located at
Broadway and Crescent in Menomonie, WI.
J. Rassbach Heritage Museum
Eau Claire County
Chippewa Valley Museum
The museum offers
the story of the Chippewa Valley and it's people through early
artifacts, exhibits and interpretation. Admission
includes a tour of the 1866
Anderson log house and
Sunnyview School. Located in beautiful Carson Park
at Eau Claire, WI.
Wisconsin Forestry Museum
Step back in time to the days of the Wisconsin logging
camps. Climb aboard the
Lumberjack Steam Train, a vintage steam train which will
take you to the museum and blacksmith shop where you will
learn about the labor intensive logging camps. The
train takes you to the site of an old logging camp known as
Camp 5. The museum is brimming with historical
artifacts and lumberjack tools. The train depot is
located 1/4 miles West of Highways 8 & 32 on Highway 8 in
Fennimore Railroad Historical Society Museum
Home to "The Dinky", a 15 gauge steam
locomotive, the museum is modeled to represent a
turn-of-the-century railroad depot. Located at 610
Lincoln Avenue in Fennimore, WI.
The Mining Museum
the importance of mining in the history of Platteville
through exhibits and artifacts. Visitors are offered
an underground tour of the 1845 Bevans Lead Mine. The
museum is open seasonally - Spring through Fall.
Located next door to the Rollo Jamison Museum at 405 E. Main
Street in Plateville, WI.
Rollo Jamison Museum
in this museum began with the collection of arrowheads begun
by Rollo Jamison in 1899. The collection has grown to
include many historical artifacts related to the early
history of Platteville and the surrounding area.
Located at 405 E. Main Street in Platteville, WI.
Hoard Historical Museum
October 2007, the museum features historical information
about the 1832 Black Hawk War, exhibits about dairy farming
and exhibits related to the history of this area of
Wisconsin. Location is 401 Whitewater Avenue at Fort
Kenosha History Center
The campus of
the Kenosha County Historical Society features an 1866 Light
Station and the 1917 Kenosha Water Utility pumping station.
The museum offers historical artifacts and items related to
the early history of the people and businesses in Kenosha,
WI. Located at 220 51st Place in Kenosha, WI.
Badger Mine and Museum
features artifacts related to the history of Shullsburg and
the impact of the mining industry on the area. The tour
includes a real lead mine from the past. Located at
279 W. Estey Street in Shullsburg, WI.
Wisconsin's First Capitol Historic Site
County Highway G in Belmont, WI.
Shullsburg Water Street District
Langlade County Historical Museum
Operated by the Langlade County Historical Society, the
museum is housed inside the 1905 Antigo
Library building, the museum features logging and Indian
artifacts along with agricultural and lumbering implements
and tools. A large collection of photos and scenes of
early Langlade County and Antigo are held by the archives.
Located at 404 Superior Street in Antigo, WI.
Merrill Historical Brickyard School Museum
Manitiwoc County Heritage Center and Museum
Pinecrest Historical Village
Wisconsin Martime Museum
Learn about the
maritime history of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes area.
Exhibits include the USS Cobia, a WWII Submarine.
Visit at 75 Maritime Drive in Manitowoc, WI.
A. P. Woodson House
Home to the research library and archives of
the Marathon County Historical Society along with an educational exhibit area,
the home was built in 1914 and is known today as the Woodson
History Center. Located at 410 McIndoe Street in Wausau, WI.
Yawkey House Museum
The beautiful Classical Revival style
house was built in 1900 as a home for the Cyrus Yawkey
family. Operated by and home to the Marathon County
Historical Society, the lower level is open for tours.
The home is surrounded by formal gardens. Located at
403 McIndoe Street in Wausau, WI. Also see the
Downtown Wausau Walking Tour.
Marinette Co. Historical Society and Logging Museum
promoting the history of the Marinette County area of
Wisconsin. Exhibits include Native American artifacts,
the Evancheck log cabin, logging history, pioneer farm implements, tools and
items for daily life of early inhabitants of Marinette
County. Located on Stephenson Island near
downtown Marinette, WI.
Menominee Indian Tribe Cultural Museum
Visitors will learn about the culture of the
Menominee Indian Tribe through historical artifacts and
Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin Logging Museum
Featuring the largest collection of logging
artifacts in the world, there are seven log buildings to
explore in this reproduction and restoration of a base
logging camp typical of those found in the lake states
between 1860 and 1910. Located just off State Highway
47 on County Highway VV West, just north of Keshena, WI.
This beautiful Greek Revival styled house was
built in 1844 by Benjamin Church. The original
location was in Milwaukee but it was moved to Estabrook Park
in 1938. Tours are offered. Located on Estabrook
Drive inside Estabrook Park in Shorewood, WI.
Milwaukee County Historical Society - Historic Center
a 1913 neoclassical revival style building which was
originally built for the Second Ward Savings Bank, the
museum features historical items and artifacts related to
the history of Milwaukee. Located at 910 N. Old World
3rd Street in Milwaukee, WI.
Milwaukee Historic Homes
features many varied collections among which is the "Streets
of Old Milwaukee", a walk-through replica of a 19th century
street scene in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Also featured
are exhibits related to the history and lives of Wisconsin
Indian tribes. Located at 800 W. Wells Street in
The Pabst Mansion
Wisconsin Black Historical Society & Museum
Devoted to the
preservation of African American history from Ancient Egypt
to Modern Milwaukee. Located at 2620 W. Center Street
in Milwaukee, WI.
Discovery Center - History of cranberry production.
Housed in the
historic Union Cranberry Warehouse, visitors to the center
will learn about the cranberry industry in Wisconsin.
Located at 204 Main Street in Downtown Warrens, WI.
Copper Culture State Park and Museum
Erected in 1837 by Charles A. Grignon, the
stately home was once known as "The Mansion in the Woods".
Today, tours are led by costumed guides through rooms
furnished in period style. The home even offers an
historic apple orchard. Located at 1313 Augustine
Street in Kaukauna, WI.
Hearthstone - Illuminating our heritage
Historic House Museum is Appleton, Wisconsin's first home
lit by hydroelectricity. Located at 625 W. Prospect in
The History Museum at the Castle
exhibit about the life and times of Harry Houdini, the
museum offers records, photographs and documents related to
the history of Outagamie County. Location is 330 E.
College Avenue in Appleton, WI.
take a step back in time in this rural village which is
comprised of a collection of over 20 historical buildings
and structures from the 1840s through the early 1900s.
Historic buildings include the Cedarburg Railroad Depot,
fully furnished homes, barns and more. A research
archives is available for researchers. Operated by
the Ozaukee County Historical Society, the village is
located at 4880 County Hwy I in Saukville, WI.
Port Washington Lighthouse & Light House Museum
Visitors may tour
the restored and renewed 1849 light station and 1860
lighthouse which were used to guide lake traffic for
centuries. Located at 311 Johnson Street in Port
Polk County Museum
County Archives Photos]
County Historical Society on Facebook]
Operated by the Polk County Historical
Society, the Polk County Museum is housed inside the 1899
Polk County Courthouse. The museum features three
floors of galleries full of historical items related to the
history of the Polk County region of Wisconsin.
Located at120 West Main Street in Balsam Lake, WI.
Rural Life Museum
The Rural Life Museum is operated by the Polk
County Historical Society and features an old country
school, general store and railroad depot filled with
historical artifacts of rural pioneer families and the
telegraph station and iron road used for communication with
the world. Located one block west of the
Polk County Museum in
Balsam Lake, WI.
Beth Israel Congregation, Stevens Point
1905, it served as the house of worship for the Jewish
Community of Stevens Point. Today it houses an exhibit
about the Stevens Point Jewish history and religious
practices. The synagogue is located at 1475 Water
Street in Stevens Point, WI.
of historical buildings including the
Plover Methodist Church and the
Franklin / Calkins House. The park is focused on
the history of community life in Plover, WI. Located
between Madison Street and Washington Street in Plover,
Rising Star Mill, Nelsonville
Built in 1868,
the Rising Star Flouring Mill operated in varying capacities
until 1984. Today the mill is operated by the Portage
County Historical Society and hosts music concerts, art
shows and other special events throughout the year.
Available for rental. Located in Nelsonville, WI.
Rosholt Pioneer Museum
The museum is
comprised of a one-room schoolhouse, a granary, a sawmill
and two log cabins which are located on the
Rosholt Fairgrounds. Featuring historical
artifacts and items used by early pioneers of the Portage
County area, the museum is focused on the pioneer household,
farms and logging industry.
Old Town Hall Museum
Town Hall History]
Housed inside the historical Fifield Old Town
Hall, the museum is operated and maintained by the Price
County Historical Society. Built in 1894, the Fifield
Town Hall was used as a government building until 1967.
Used for many town events, the Old Town Hall has seen a lot
of history. Today, the building has been restored and
serves as a museum which is focused on the early history of
Price County. Exhibits include "The Opera House" which
still features the stage, logging artifacts and tools,
railroad memorabilia, Victorian period rooms, and other
historical artifacts relevant to Price County History.
Located at the intersection of Highway 13 and Pine in
Burlington Historical Society Museum
The Burlington Historical Society features a
historical museum with exhibits related to the early history
of Burlington and the surrounding area. The Burlington
Historical Society Museum is located on the corner of
Perkins Blvd. and Jefferson Street. The society also
maintains Pioneer Log Cabin in Wehmhoff Square and the 1840
Richland Museum & Visitor Center
Housed inside the 1909 Train Depot, the
Richland Center Visitor Center provides visitors and
residents with information about travel and events.
The Train Depot served the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul
passenger line until the 1950s and freight train service
until the 1980s. In 1998, the city of Richland Center
acquired the Train Depot. It has been restored and
opened as the Richland Center Visitor Center in 2001.
Located next to the caboose at 397 W. Seminary in Richland
Milton House Historic Museum
Historical Landmark was erected in 1844 and is known as the
oldest poured concrete structure in the U.S. Built of
local grout, the house is hexagonal and has been restored by
the Milton Historical Society. Located at 18 S.
Janesville Street in Milton, WI.
Rusk County Historical Society Museum
County Museum on Facebook]
The Rusk County Historical Society Museum
actually features ten buildings displaying thousands of
historical artifacts and items donated by Rusk County
citizens along with many historical documents and burial
records for cemeteries in the Rusk County area.
Visitors are welcomed in the Henry Golat building where they
will find documents and materials for historical research as
well as a gift shop and the museum guest book. Located
at the Rusk County Fairgrounds in Ladysmith, WI.
Jacob Van Orden Mansion
Orden Mansion History]
The Sauk County Historical Society Museum is
housed inside the historical Van Orden Mansion which was
built for Jacob Van Orden (a Baraboo banker). Today,
the house has been restored and preserved and features
original woodwork, flooring, wall treatments, fireplaces,
and beautiful appointments. Many rooms of the house
contain historical artifacts and memorabilia related to the
Sauk County and it's early inhabitants. Visitors will
also find a local history research library housing thousands
of files, photos, documents and other historical items.
Located at 531 Fourth Avenue in Baraboo, WI.
Sawyer County Historical Society and Museum
Operated by the Sawyer County Historical
Society, the museum is focused on the history of the Sawyer
County area of Wisconsin. The museum is housed inside
the 1928 DNR Ranger Station and features historical
artifacts, photos and items related to Sawyer County
history. Exhibits include Ojibwe Culture, Logging,
homesteading and early pioneers, Victorian lifestyle and
more. Learn about the past of Hayward and Sawyer
County. Located on County Highway B in Hayward, WI.
Doc's Classic Car & Cycle Museum
muscle cars along with classic cars and motorcycles and a
complete 1938 Standard Gas Station. Located at W. 2709
St. Hwy 29 in Bonduel, WI inside Doc's Harley Davidson, Inc.
Arvid E. Miller Memorial Library-Museum for the
Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohican Indians
The museum features a large collection of
both cultural and historical artifacts of the Mohican
Nation, Stockbridge-Munsee Band and is the repository for the public
records of the Tribe. Along with the museum and
research library, there is a shop where Indian arts and
crafts may be purchased. Located at N8510 Moh-He-Con-Nuck Road in Bowler, WI.
County Research Center
Built in 1837, the Mill House was originally
used as a boarding house for the Rochester Lumber Company.
Today, the building houses the Sheboygan county Historical
Research Center which is a private, non-profit archive and
family history center. Located at 518 Water Street in
Sheboygan Falls, WI.
Sheboygan County Historical Museum
This complex of
historical structures includes the 1864 Weinbold Home, an
1890s barn, the 1867 Bodenstab Cheese Factory.
Exhibits includes historical artifacts, an early days
classroom, a circus exhibit, Indian relics and more.
Located at 3110 Erie Avenue in Sheboygan, WI.
New Richmond Heritage Center and Museum
Featuring a collection of historic
buildings in a lovely park setting, visitors will find an
1887 log cabin, 1891 church, a log blacksmith shop, the 1902
Camp 9 School and others. Located at 1100 Heritage
Drive in New Richmond, WI.
The Octagon House Museum
The Museum complex is operated and maintained
by the St. Croix County Historical Society and features The
Octagon House which has been restored with Victorian
furnishings. The house was built in 1854 for Judge
John Shaw Moffat and his wife Nancy Bennet Moffatt and was
occupied by the Moffat-Hughes family for over 100
years. Other buildings include a blacksmith shop, a
general store, and a Carriage House. A Research Center
is located in the upstairs of the Carriage House for those
interested in local or family history. Located at 1004
Third Street in Hudson, WI.
Housed inside the St. Louis County
Heritage Depot, the museum features many local history items
and information about railroading in Minnesota.
Located inside the same building is the St. Louis County
Historical Society which offers many artifacts and
information about the history of St. Louis County.
Located at 506 W. Michigan Street in Duluth, MN.
Taylor County Historical Society Museum - Schoolhouse - Log
Maintained by the Taylor County Historical
Society, the main museum features a dairy display, farm and
household exhibit, and a large exhibit of mounted animals.
Other buildings on the property are a one room schoolhouse
which is furnished with antique school materials and a log
cabin with historical artifacts related to early Taylor
County. Located at 845A East Broadway Street in
Arcadia Area Historical Society Museum and Art Center
Housed inside an 1875 building which has
served as a blacksmith shop and wagon factory, a grocery
store and rented for various purposes for many years, the
society features historical artifacts, documents and items
related to the history of the Arcadia area. The museum
will be moving to a new home soon. Our Lady of
Perpetual Help Church, rectory, convent and school from the
Diocese of LaCrosse has been acquired and is being restored.
Currently located at 401 S. Washington Street in Arcadia,
Beach Corner Arts Studios
The unique art studio of Nancy Horton and Ron
Reimer is housed inside a historical one room schoolhouse
and features a sales gallery for local artisans.
Visitors will find woven hooked and braided rugs, basketry,
paintings, jewelry, rosemaling, pottery and wood turning.
Located at W14234 County Road C in Ettrick, WI.
A. Arnold house was built in 1874. The estate
originally was 400 acres with the beautiful 15 room house
and a New York style barn situated on it. The A. A.
Arnold farmstead is still being restored by The Garden of
Eden Preservation Society. The house is open to the
public at various times throughout the year and may be
rented for weddings and events. Located at 19408
Silver Creek Road in Galesville, WI.
Elk Creek Lutheran Church
services have been held for over 134 years by the Norwegian
congregation of the Elk Creek Lutheran Church of hale but
the current church building was built in 1916 after a fire
destroyed the original. Located at W16316 County Road
OO in Hale, WI.
Historical & Community Arts Center
main building for Gale College, it was built in 1862.Old
Main is a community arts center and is opened for special
events. It may be rented for special occasions.
Located at 12th Street and College Avenue in Galesville.
phone business restores antique phones as a business but
also features a museum of old telephone and parts.
Featured items include a telegraph display, a candlestick
phone display which visitors can actually experience using,
and wood wall phones. Located at 19813 E. Mill Road in
Old St. Mary's Church Museum
Built in 1908, the historical St. Mary's
Catholic Church is a lovely little white church which has
been restored and is being used today for weddings, baptisms
and a meeting place for the Vernon County Historical
Society. Tours are offered by appointment.
Located at 606 W. Broadway Street in Viroqua, WI.
The Sherry-Butt House
Built in 1890, the Federal style house is one
of the oldest homes in Viroqua. Originally, the house
was home to the Lt. Colonel Cyrus M. Butt family. In
1947, the house was purchased by Orbic Sherry and remained
in the family until acquisition by the Vernon County
Historical Society. Today, the home contains many of
the original furnishings and Lt. Colonel's Civil War
artifacts are on display. Open to the public
seasonally and by appointment. Located at 795 N. Main
Street in Viroqua, WI.
The Thoreson House
Built in 1892 by Theodore Thoreson, the house
is being preserved by the Westby Historical Society.
The Society has displays of historical artifacts and antique
furniture along with a library of historical materials.
Located at 101 Black River Avenue in Westby, WI.
Vernon County Historical Museum
Housed in the 1918 Vernon County Normal
School, the museum features exhibits and artifacts which
tell the story of earlier times in Vernon County. The
first floor boasts a genealogy room which includes research
materials for those who are researching their family
history. Located at 410 S. Center Avenue in Viroqua,
County Museum & Historical Society
Focus is on the
history of Vilas County. Historical artifacts and
exhibits related to the pioneer days of the late 1800s in
Northern Wisconsin are featured. Take a walk into the past
of Northwood the way it once was. Located at 2889
Highway 155 in Sayner, WI.
Geneva Lake Museum
Lake Historical Timeline & Map]
Housed inside the 1929 Wisconsin Power &
Light building, the museum features historical artifacts,
and items of daily living which are related to the early
history of Lake Geneva. Visitors will walk the brick
pavement of "Main Street" where they will see turn of the
century architecture, a log cabin with Potawatomi tools and
arrowhead collection, a blacksmith shop, a fire engine house
with an 1890 hose wagon, antique farm implements and tools,
a spring house for cooling milk, a telephone switchboard, a
1920s dental work station, a general store, and an 1890s
school. Learn about the boats and yachts of Geneva
Lake, the Chicago & North Western Railway, the mansions of
Geneva Lake and more fascinating history of this area.
Located at 255 Mill Street in Geneva Lake, WI.
Birchwood Area Log Museum
The museum houses a hand carved replica of an
entire logging camp operation at the turn of the century.
Visitors will view many logging camp artifacts and taped
interviews of early settlers. Located on Main Street
in Birchwood, WI.
Howard Morey Homestead
Built in 1901,
the Morey house is open to visitors seasonally.
Located on Park Avenue in Birchwood, WI.
Museum of Woodcarving
years of wood carving of religious scenes in ponderosa and
sugar pine 2x4s laminated together. It is known as the
largest collection of woodcarvings in the world created by
one man. Located at 536 Highway 63 in Shell Lake, WI.
Railroad Memories Museum
the historical Chicago Northwestern Depot, Visitors will
find a collection of historical documents, photos, railroad
equipment and memorabilia related to the history of
railroading. Located at 424 Front Street in Spooner,
Washburn County Historical Museum - Shell Lake
With focus on
the last 150 years of Washburn County history, the museum
includes the 1888 St. John's Lutheran Church, the former
parsonage, Beaver Brook School and the Sky Watch Hut used
during WWII. Visitors will find historical photos,
artifacts and memorabilia. Located at 102 W. 2nd
Avenue in Shell Lake, WI.
Washburn County Historical Museum-Springbrook
1906 St. Magdalene Catholic Church, the historical building
has been restored and serves as a church museum as well as a
local history museum. Filled with local historical
artifacts, photos, farm and medical equipment and more.
Located at N8582 Andrews Road in Springbrook, WI.
Old Courthouse Museum
The old Washington County courthouse was
erected in 1889 in the Romanesque Revival style and was used
until 1962. Today it is used as a museum by the
Washington County Historical Society for the preservation
and display of the history of Washington County, WI.
Old Jailhouse Museum
Built in 1855,
the house is located on County Highway H, in Farmington, WI.
It is currently being restored.
St. Agnes Convent
Black Point Estate [Photo
1888 Queen Anne Victorian mansion was owned by the beer
baron, Conrad Seipp, whose family occupied it for four
generations. Visitors will receive a 45 minute docent
escorted tour of the mansion bringing history alive.
Located on the shore of Lake Geneva in Wisconsin, tours
arrive daily by boat May through October.
Old World Wisconsin
A place to relive the "Spirit of America's
Take a step
back in time to the late 19th century of Wisconsin when many
immigrants were building a better life in a new place.
Experience living history on historic farms, at the one-room
schoolhouse and see 1870s craftsmen and artisans creating
their old world crafts in this village focused on the early
immigration and settlement of the Germans, Fins, Danes and
African Americans to Wisconsin. Located 1 1/2 miles
south of Eagle on Highway 67 in Waukesha County, WI.
Historical Landmark home of Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fotanne
offers visitors a docent-guided, walking tour of the home
which contains original furnishings of the 1930s and 1940s.
Visitors will hear stories about the lives of the Broadway
legends Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne. Located at S43
W313575 Depot Road in Genesee Depot, WI.
Waukesha County Museum
Operated by the
Waukesha County Historical Society and located in the former
county offices of the 1893 courthouse building, this museum
focuses on regional history and occasionally brings in
featured exhibits on other subjects. Located at 101 W.
Main Street in Waukesha, WI.
Holly History & Genealogy Center
repository for local history documents, books, historical
photographs, family histories and other items related to the
history of the Waupaca area is housed inside the former
public library building. The center is the
headquarters for the Waupaca Historical Society.
Located at 321 South Main Street in Waupaca, WI.
Heritage Historical Village
historical buildings and a garage which has been moved to
this location to create a village. Visitors can browse
a school, church, log cabin, octagon house and a train depot
which are furnished with original and period furnishings.
Located at 900 Montgomery Street in New London, WI.
Buildings in the Heritage Historical Village include:
School - Built in 1857 in the town of Hortonia, it's
original name was Elms School but later became known as
Log Cabin -
Built ca 1850 by the McLaughlin Family, the cabin was
removed from a farm in Lebanon Township.
House - Built in New London prior to 1867, the eight
sided house was originally on N. Shawano Street.
It is furnished today with a collection of antique
Chapel - A beautiful little white church which had it's
first worship services in 1949. Known as "the
little white church on McKinley Street",
Originally the building was Three Pines School in the
town of Liberty before becoming the Evangelical United
Brethren Church on McKinley Street. Furnished as a
non-denominational chapel for worship and personal
meditation, the Village Chapel is available for
from the former Edison/Simmons facility once owned by
Thomas Alva Edison has been added to Heritage Village.
Train Depot is the former passenger train depot from
East Beacon Avenue. Built in 1923, it was used by
passenger trains until 1954 and for freight trains until
1982. Today it has been moved to Heritage Village
and holds displays of railroad artifacts and
Hutchinson House Museum
Built in 1854,
the Hutchinson House is a prime example of a well preserved
New England style home during the mid 1850s and Victorian
era. Originally built by Chester Hutchinson as a farm
house on the corner of West Fulton and Franklin Streets in
Waupaca, the Victorian home today is maintained by the
Waupaca Historical Society as a museum. Visitors to
the museum will find antique furniture and historical
artifacts, many of which were donated by residents of
Waupaca County. At times, visitors will enjoy docent
tour guides and demonstrations of early crafts. Open
seasonally on weekends and by special appointment.
Located inside South Park in Waupaca, WI.
Iola Historic Village
maintained by the Iola Historical Society, the Iola Historic
Village gives visitors a chance to take a step back in time
to an earlier day and simpler times. The village
features three historical structures and two reproductions.
Located at 205 Depot Street in Iola, WI. Buildings
Town Hall - Built in 1919, the structure was moved from
it's original location on Hwy. GG to the Iola Historic
Village. Renovated, the structure looks much as it
did in the early days when it served as the Town Hall,
even including the outhouse which was also brought along
in the move.
School - The one room schoolhouse was built in 1897 and
originally located in Farmington Township. The
school served the school district for 59 years. In
1996, this reproduction was built. The schoolhouse
bell on top of this structure was brought from the Twin
Grove School in Helvetia.
cabin was moved from the Town of Harrison along the
Little Wolf River. It's origins are uncertain.
Inside are historical artifacts and furniture dating
from the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Northern Depot - The train depot was built in 1894 and
served Iola for 64 years. The exterior has been
resotred and railroad tracks laid alongside where you
can now see a Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railroad
Firehouse - The authentic replica of the 1901 brick
firehouse holds historical firefighting equipment
including: a horse drawn 1912 Waterous Pumper, a 1924
Ford Model T hose truck and a 1938 Reo based pumper and
hose truck combo. The original firehouse is still
standing at 175 East State Street.
Iola Historical Society and Museum
Historical Society features a small historical museum and
research center. Located at 210 Depot Street in Iola,
Built in 1907
as a replacement of the original Wisconsin Central Depot in
Waupaca, the historical landmark stands as a reminder of
days gone by. Located on the grounds is a car barn and
a baggage car form the early 1900s trolley line in Waupaca.
Located at 525 Oak Street in Waupaca, WI.
Waushara County Historical Society Museum
Housed in the old Waushara County Jail, the
museum is open on Wednesday afternoons. The museum has
a genealogy department with obits, court cases, photos,
school records, and newspapers. They try to help
everyone searching for ancestry in the county. Located
at 212 S. St. Marie Street in Wautoma, WI.
secretary - Lori McCloud
president - Marvin Wagner
Whistler Mounds Park
The historical site has two rows of conical
Indian mounds with earthen enclosures with a trail leading
around the site. The mounds were mapped by
archaeologists in 1916 and are believed to be constructed by
the Woodland Indians between 650 and 1200 A.D. Located
on Fish Lake at the intersection of N4140 6th Avenue just
east of Hancock, WI..
Wild Rose Pioneer Museum
Operated by the Wild Rose Historical Society,
the museum offers a glimpse of the past heritage of Wild Rose,
Wisconsin. Focused on the early immigrants from Wales,
Norway and England, who built the town. Located on State
Hwy 22 in Wild Rose, WI.
be one of the most extensive aviation attractions in the
world, the museum holds a collection of over 200 historic
airplanes. Adventurous visitors can even take a ride
in a vintage airplane at the Pioneer Airport. Other
attractions include the Eagle hangar filled with WWII
aviation exhibits and the KidVenture Gallery where kids can
get hands on experience with exciting aviation exhibits.
Located at 3000 Poberezny Road in Oshkosh, WI.
Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass
art museum features the world's most representative
collection of antique and contemporary glass paperweights
along with many other types of glass exhibits.
Collections include Germanic drinking vessels dating from
1573, a collection of Victorian-Era glass baskets and a
growing collection of contemporary glass. Located at
165 N. Park Avenue in Neenah, WI.
The Morgan House
Built in 1884
for John Rodgers Morgan, a founder Morgan Brothers (a lumber
company in Oshkosh), the beautiful Queen Anne style home is
being restored by the Winnebago County Historical and
Archaeological Society. The house features original
woodwork, six fireplaces, gas light fixtures and original
wall coverings. Visitors will delight in the authentic
Victorian gardens which surround the home. To schedule
a tour, call 920-232-0260. Located at 234 Church
Avenue in Oshkosh, WI.
Oshkosh Public Museum
Focused on the
preservation of the heritage of Oshkosh and the Lake
Winnebago region of Wisconsin, the Oshkosh Public Museum
features over 10,000 square feet of exhibits, documents,
photographs, and historical artifacts. Founded in
1924, the museum is the second oldest public museum in the
state of Wisconsin. Located at 1331 Algoma Blvd. in
Art Center and Gardens
of the Paine]
mansion was built in 1930 for the Nathan Paine family.
The house was never completed inside and it was halted due
to the Great Depression. The Paines never moved into
the house. In 1946, Nathan and Jessie Paine
established the estate as a museum for the public.
Today, The Paine Art Center and Gardens is focused on the
preservation of the historical house, gardens, art
collections, and exhibitions. Rentals of the estate is
also available for weddings and events. Located at
1410 Algmoa Blvd. in Oshkosh, WI.
The Smith Octagon House Museum
Built in the
1850s soon after the first settlers arrived in Neenah, the
house was occupied by Edward Smith (a prosperous flour mill
owner). The house remained in the Smith family until
1923 when purchased by the Quinn family and converted into
apartment units. Today, the house is maintained by the
Neenah Historical Society as a museum and may be toured.
Call 920-729-0244 for appointment. Located at 347
Smith Street in Neenah, WI.
historical artifacts of Neenah's people are on display in
exhibits which include the Olen Indian Collection.
Learn about the Native Americans, the 19th century European
explorers and early settlers of Neenah. Located at the
City Hall in Neenah, WI.
The Ward House
The Ward house
was built ca1912 and remains virtually unaltered.
Today, the Neenah Historical Society is headquartered in the
house and provides a research library for local history.
Located at 343 Smith Street in Neenah, WI.
South Wood County Historical Museum
Housed in an 1907 Home, the South Wood Co.
Historical Society offers exhibits relating to the history of
the area along with a collection of research materials.
Located at 540 Third Street in Wisconsin Rapids, WI.
Upham Mansion was built in 1880 and was home to
the former governor of Wisconsin, William Henry Upham.
Listed on the National Register of historic Places, it
houses the North Wood County Historical Society. Upham
Mansion is filled with Victorian furnishings some of which
are original. Tours are offered. Located at 212
West 3rd Street in Marshfield, WI.
Museum Index for Other States