Astors' Beechwood Mansion
Astors Beechwood Mansion SOLD!
Living history tours are offered at this famous mansion
along with theatrical productions by the Beechwood Theatre
Company. Many weddings are performed here annually.
Located at 580 Bellevue Ave. in Newport, RI.
Babcock - Smith House Museum
mansion was built ca 1734. Today the house holds
furnishings from the Colonial era when it was occupied by the
Babcocks and Victorian items reflecting when it was occupied by
the Smith family. Open to visitors, the historic home
is located at 124 Granite Street in Westerly, RI
Beavertail Lighthouse Museum
overlooking Narragansett Bay, details the history of what is
known as the third oldest lighthouse on the Atlantic seacoast.
Located on the southernmost tip of Jamestown, RI, the lighthouse
site adjoins to Beavertail State Park.
Belcourt Castle Historic Mansion
Located at 657
Bellevue Avenue in Newport, RI.
Breakers, The - Vanderbilt Historic House
Built ca 1893, the
mansion boasts 70 rooms of Italian Renaissance-style palazzo.
Tours are available with the Newport Mansions Tours.
Located at 44 Ochre Point Avenue in Newport, RI.
A living history,
working farm, located on 300 acres overlooking Narragansett Bay,
RI. Built in 1750, the farmhouse saw the coming and going
of the Revolutionary War. Visit at 2325 Boston Neck Road
in Saunderstown, RI.
Chateau-sur-Mer - Webmore Historic Mansion
Completed in 1852,
it was once known as the most palatial residence in Newport.
this National Historic Landmark is operated by the Preservation
Society of Newport County and is open seasonally. Located
at 474 Bellevue Avenue in Newport, RI.
Italianate-style villa was built in 1860 as the summer home of
Edmund Schermerhorn and later acquired in 1911 by Mrs. Emily
Morris Gallatin. The home remained in the Morris family
until 1986 when acquired by the Preservation Society of Newport
County. The historic home is filled with original
Morris-Gallatin furnishings, 19th century American paintings.
Open seasonally, Chepstow is located at 120 Narragansett Avenue
in Newport, RI.
Elms, The - Historical Berwind Mansion
Once the home of
Mr. and Mrs. Edward Julius Berwind of Philadelphia and New York,
the home was designed by architect Horace Trumbauer, who modeled
it after the ca 1750 French chateau d'Asnieres outside Paris,
France. Completed in 1901, the ornate mansion is operated
by the Preservation Society of Newport County and is open
seasonally. Located at 367 Bellevue Avenue in Newport, RI.
to as the Summer Whitehouse, the mansion was built in 1873 as
the summer home of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Location is 1 Lincoln Drive in Fort Adams State Park in Newport,
Fort Adams State Park
coastal fort ever erected in the United States is just across
the Newport Harbor. Visitors to the Fort can tour the
grounds and explore the tunnel system of this grand military
fort. Special events offer military re-enactments and
musical festivals. Take the
Jamestown & Newport Ferry to get there.
Fort Wetherill State Park [History]
During the time of
the Revolutionary War, this site was known as Dumpling Rock and
in 1800, Fort Dumpling was established. In 1898 this fort
was enlarged and renamed in honor of Captain Alexander Wetherill
who was killed in the Spanish American War. The fort was
used again during both WWI and WWII but was not further used as
a military establishment. Today it's ruins can be explored
by visitors. Located on Wetherill Road in Fort Wetherill
State Park, RI.
Hunter House - Historic Home
Hunter House was
built by Jonathon Nichols, Jr., prosperous merchant and colonial
deputy. Purchased by Colonel Joseph Wanton, JR in the
1750s, the house was enlarged and turned into a formal Georgian
mansion. After the Revolutionary war, the house was
acquired by William Hunter, a US Senator. The Preservation
Society of Newport County restored Hunter House to the era of
Colonel Wanton and today the house has exhibits of the finest
arts and crafts of 18th century Newport. Located at 54
Washington Street in Newport, RI.
Isaac Bell Historic House
Built in 1883 for
Isaac Bell, a wealthy cotton broker, the house is a National
Historic Landmark and operated by the Preservation Society of
Newport County. It is currently being restored. Located at
70 Perry Street in Newport, RI.
International Tennis Hall of Fame
Housed inside the
historic Newport Casino, the Tennis Hall of Fame details the
history of tennis from the 12th century through today along with
the history of the Newport Casino. Located at 194 Bellevue
Avenue in Newport, RI.
Jamestown Fire Department Memorial Museum
See and learn
about the history of the Jamestown Fire Department in this
historical site. Located at 50 Narragansett Avenue in
Jamestown Historical Society Museum
Housed in an old
schoolhouse built in 1886, the Jamestown Museum is devoted to
the collection, preservation and exhibition of the heritage of
Jamestown, RI. Located at 92 Narragansett Avenue in RI.
Jamestown Quaker Meetinghouse
Meetinghouse was built in 1786-1787 as a replacement to the
meetinghouse which was destroyed during the Revolutionary War.
The historic meetinghouse stood empty for a century before being
reopened by Philadelphia Quakers for worship again. It is
currently open for worship on Sundays in the summertime.
At other times, call for an appointment for a tour of the inside
of the Quaker Meetinghouse. Located on North Road, east of
Watson Farm in Jamestown, RI.
Built in 1787, the
Jamestown Windmill is a working windmill sitting on Windmill
Hill in the center of the island. Open seasonally and on
Windmill Day. Located on North Road, east of Watson Farm
in Jamestown, RI.
Kingscote Historic House
Built in 1839 for
Southern Planter, George Noble Jones. The house was
purchased by William Henry King in 1864 and remained in the King
family until 1972 when it was left to the Preservation Society
of Newport County. This National Historic Landmark and
filled with original family collections. Located at 253
Bellevue Avenue in Newport, RI.
Marble House - Vanderbilt Historic Summer Home
Built between 1888
and 1892 for Mr. and Mrs. William K. Vanderbilt as a summer
cottage, Marble House was designed by architect Richard Morris
Hunt and was inspired by the Petit Trianon at Versailles.
The home has an unbelievable 500,000 cubic feet of marble, hence
the name "Marble House". Operated by the Preservation
Society of Newport County, the property is located at 596
Bellevue Avenue in Newport, RI.
Middletown Historical Society Museums
Historical Society operates 3 properties.
Paradise School built ca 1875 is a one-room
schoolhouse. The Middletown Historical Society's
headquarters is located here. Featured are exhibits
and displays related to the history of Middletown.
Located adjacent to Paradise Valley Park at the corner of
Paradise and Prospect Avenues in Middletown, RI.
Boyd's Wind Grist Mill built ca 1810 was originally
located in Portsmouth. Open to the public seasonally
with trained docents on hand. Moved to Paradise Park
at the corner of Paradise and Prospect Avenues in
Witherbee School built ca 1892 is a one-room
schoolhouse. It has been fully restored to an
authentic 1900 classroom and is on the National Register of
Historic Places. Open to the public seasonally.
Located at the northeast corner of Valley Road and Green End
Avenue in Middletown, RI.
Museum of Newport Irish History
Visitors to The
Museum of Newport Irish History will learn about Irish
immigration to Newport County from the 1600s to present time and
their impact on the Newport Irish-American community.
Exhibits include maps, historical documents, photos, videos and
artifacts. Located at 648 Lower Thames Street in Newport,
& Shop at Brick Market
Located at 127 Thames Street in Newport, RI, this museum offers
a glimpse into the rich history of Newport, Rhode Island.
Properties owned by the Newport Historical Society museum
include the Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House and the Great Friends
Meeting House and they have an expanding collection of genealogy
Naval War College Museum
Unless you have
military ID, you must make advance reservations to visit this
Military Museum. Call 401-841-4052 for reservations.
Located at the Naval War College at 686 Cushing Road in Newport,
Newport Art Museum
The Newport Art
Museum is devoted to the collection, preservation, exhibit and
interpretation of both historic and contemporary visual arts.
Emphasis is on the rich artistic heritage of Newport and the
state of Rhode Island. Located at 76 Bellevue Avenue in
Newport Historical Mansions
Society of Newport County has restored and operates many of the
beautiful ornate historical mansions of Newport, Rhode island.
Rosecliff Historic Mansion
Designed after the
Grand Trianon in Versailels, Rosecliff was completed in 1902.
Many of Newport's famed lavish parties were held in the mansion.
The house and all of it's furnishings were given to the
Preservation Society of Newport County in 1971. The house
is beautifully restored and has been used in such movies as The
Great Gatsby, Amistad, True Lies and 27 Dresses. Located
at 548 Bellevue Avenue in Newport, RI.
Rose Island Lighthouse
Lighthouse was built on an 18 acre island in 1869 and was used
for over 100 years. After the Pell Newport Bridge was
built, the lighthouse was abandoned. Today, it has been
restored to it's 1912 appearance and has been relit. The
lighthouse is very interestingly maintained by vacationers who
stay on Rose Island a week at a time and are taught to take care
of the light. Located on Rose Island in Narragansett Bay.
Visitors can take the Jamestown Newport Ferry to the island
where they are greeted by tour guides who will educate them
about the history of the Rose Island Lighthouse.
Samuel Whitehorne House Museum
house is a Federal-style mansion along the Newport waterfront.
The house is surrounded by beautiful formal gardens filled with
historic and vintage plants. The Whitehorne House holds a
remarkable collection of 18th century Newport furniture known as
the Doris Duke Collection. Located at 416 Thames Street in
Day Baptist Meeting House
This meeting house
is the oldest surviving Baptist Church building in the United
States. Constructed in 1730, the beautiful church features
oak beams and carved wood paneling. Located adjacent to
the Newport Historical Society at 82 Tour Street in Newport, RI.
Tiverton Four Corners
Corners Art Center]
Four Corners Meeting House]
Corners is a historical village on the National Register of
Historic Places. Visitors to the historic village of
Tiverton Four Corners will find over 300 years of history
brought to life. There are many historic homes and
buildings from both the 18th and 19th centuries. An art
center is located in the Soule-Seabury House, homes are
available for tours, cozy shops abound for the shopper and there
are several festivals throughout the year. The Meeting
House is available for weddings and events. Located in the
Historic District on Main Road in Tiverton, RI.
Tiverton Historical Society Museum on FaceBook
Historical Society, is dedicated to the collection, preservation
and interpretation of the history of Tiverton, RI. Located
at 3908 Main Road in Tiverton, RI.
Synagogue in Newport was completed in 1763 to serve the growing
Jewish community in Newport. Today, it is a National
Historic Site and the Touro Synagogue's holdings include
historical documents detailing the Jewish-American history in
Newport and the state of Rhode Island. This building is
still used as an active house of worship. Located at 85
Tour Street in Newport, RI.
The Watson Farm
dates back to 1789 when Job Watson began cultivating this land.
Today, this working family farm covers 265 acres and uses
traditional farming and cattle raising techniques. The
farm house was built in 1796, is privately owned and not open to
the public. Visitors may take a self-guided walking tour
of the farm. Located at 455 North road in Jamestown, RI.
Built in 1901, the
Westerly Armory holds memorabilia from the area's people,
businesses & culture along with military memorabilia from the
men and women of the Westerly community who have served in the
armed forces. Located at 41 Railroad Avenue in Westerly,
Whitehall Museum House [History]
Once the home to
Bishop George Berkeley, the farmhouse was enlarged in 1729 to
become a country manor house. Today the house is operated
as a museum by the Whitehall Committee of The National Society
of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Rhode Island
and Providence Plantations. Inside the home has been
furnished with furnishings from the 18th century. Open to
the public. Guided tours featured during the season.
Located at 311 Berkeley Avenue in Middletown, RI.
Wilbor House Museum
Operated by the
Little Compton Historical Society, The Wilbor House dates from
1690. Located at 548 West Main Road (Route 77) in Little