Of Special Historic Interest
Family & Local Histories
Friends Historical Library
Pennsylvania Covered Bridges
Pennsylvania Online History Books
Pennsylvania History Timeline
Pennsylvania State Symbols
Old Pennsylvania Photos
1851-1991 Panoramic Photos
Altoona Old Postcards
Berks County Historic Photos
Bullskin Twp. Historic Photos
Cambria County Photo Gallery
Carbon County Historical Photos
Clarion County Photo Gallery
Connellsville Historic Photos
Cumberland County Old Postcards
Derry Area Historic Photographs
DuBois Old Photos
Ellwood City Memories
Emigsville Historic Photos
Erie Historical Photos
Erie Historic Postcards
Fayette County Photos and Postcards
County Historic Pictures
Fulton County Photo Album
Harborcreek Township Historic Photos
Historic Pittsburgh Images
Historical Images of Philadelphia
Historical Photos of Spring City, Royersford & Spring-Ford
Historical Postcards of St. Mary's & Benzinger Twp.
Huntingdon County Old Photos & Postcards
Juniata County Old Photographs
Photos & Maps of North Central PA
Lackawanna County Historic Postcards
Langhorne Historic Photos
Lawrence County Archives Vault
Liverpool, PA Historic Photos
Luzerne County Old Photos
Lycoming County Old Postcards
Lycoming County Photos of Yesterday
Mauch Chunk Historical Photos
McKean County Pictures & Postcards
Meyersdale Old Postcards
Mifflin Nostalgic Photographs
Millerstown Early Pictures
Milton - A
Monroe County Historic Photo Album
Montour County Historic Photos
Northeastern Pennsylvania Photos
Old Chester Pictures
Pennsylvania Old Photos
Perry County Historic Photos
Perry County Photo Gallery
Philadelphia - Brightbill Postcard Collection
Philadelphia - Jennings Photo Collection
Philadelphia Photo Archives
Philadelphia Suburban Homes
Philadelphia - Vintage Postcards
Potter County Photos
Salisbury / Elk Lick Old Photos
Scranton Antique Postcards
Snyder County Historical Images
Summit Hill Historical Photos
Upland Current & Historic Photos
Venango County Photos from Old Newspapers
Warren County Photographs
Washington County Old Postcards
York County Then and Now
Free Pennsylvania Travel Guide
Search Phone Books
Anyone who is going to make anything out of history
will, sooner or later, have to do most of the work himself. He will
have to read, and consider, and reconsider, and then read some
more.... Geoffrey Barraclough
START YOUR FAMILY TREE!
We'll Start Searching for you!
Monument at sunset in Gettysburg National
Adams County Historical Society and Museum
Known "The County's Attic", the
museum is devoted the preservation and display of the history
of Adams County, Pennsylvania. The society also houses a
research library and archives for researchers.
The Appalacian Trail Museum
Trail Museum is housed inside an old mill and features
exhibits of artifacts belonging to hiking pioneers such as
Grandma Gatewood, Gene Espy and Ed Garvey. Located
about two miles from the midpoint of the Appalachian Trail,
inside Pine Grove Furnace State Park at 1120 Pine Grove Road
in Gardners, PA.
Eisenhower Farmstead [History]
The farmhouse was
home to Dwight D. Eisenhower and is located next to Gettysburg
National Military Park and is open for tours. 250
Eisenhower Farm Lane, Gettysburg, PA.
National Military Park [History]
Hear Lincoln's Gettysburg Address
battlefield and monuments dedicated to the soldiers who fought
in the Civil War conflict. The Battle of Gettysburg was
considered a turning point in the fate of the United States.
The site includes a
Visitor Center and Museum devoted to the history of this great battle in U.S.
history. Located at 97 Taneytown Road in Gettysburg, PA.
Bushy Run Battlefield
of Bushy Run Battlefield]
Focused on the
history of Pontiac's War, the historic site features a
Visitor Center and offers battlefield tours. Located
at 1253 Bushy Run Road in Jeannette, PA.
Fort Pitt Blockhouse
Pitt Blockhouse Historical Timeline]
Originally built in 1764 as a defensive
redoubt to serve Fort Pitt, the structure is the only
remaining structure of Fort Pitt. Fort Pitt was a
British Fort used during the French and Indian War.
Today, it is owned and operated by the Fort Pitt Society of
the Daughters of the American Revolution of Allegheny
County, Pennsylvania. The Fort Pitt Blockhouse is open
to the public and features a small museum inside.
Located inside the Point State Park directly across from the
Fort Pitt Museum.
Fort Pitt Museum
Pitt History Timeline]
The Fort Pitt
Museum and Bushy Run Battlefield State historic sites
provide insight in the French and Indian War, Pontiac's War
and frontier history during the colonial period in western
Pennsylvania. Fort Pitt is located at 101 Commonwealth
Place inside Point State Park in Pittsburgh, PA.
Oliver Miller's Homestead [History]
Take a step
back in time to simpler days when you visit the Oliver
Miller Homestead. Self guided tours feature associates
dressed in period attire, craft demonstrations and
information about the history of the Oliver Miller family
and local history. Located at 2299 Corrigan Drive in
Bethel Park, PA.
Heinz History Center
the Senator John Heinz History Center will discover over 250
years of Pittsburgh history. Featuring over 275,000
square feet in six floors of changing exhibits, the museum
is the largest history museum in Pennsylvania.
Included at the site is the
Thomas & Katherine Detre Library & Archives where
researchers will find help and resources for Western
Pennsylvania & Pittsburgh research. Located at 1212
Smallman Street in Pittsburgh, PA.
Soldiers and Sailors National Military Museum and Memorial
the Soldiers & Sailors memorial building, the museum
features historical artifacts, photos and materials related
to the soldiers and sailors in American history along with a
concert hall, an elegant ballroom which is available for
rental, The Gettysburg Room devoted to the Civil War and the
Hall of Valor where tribute is paid to American heroes.
Located at 4141 Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh, PA.
Built ca 1780 it
was originally the home of John & Presley Neville.
Other families occupying the house were the Cowans and the
Wrenshalls. Today, visitors can drift back in time to
see how the wealthiest citizens of Pittsburgh lived in the
late 18th century. Guided tours are offered year round
but visitors are advised to call for days of operation.
Located at 1375 Washington Pike in Bridgeville, PA.
Featuring a large collection of historical
airplanes and helicopters, the museum offers aviation
history to visitors through exhibits, historical aircraft
and an extensive air history library. Located in a
hangar of the Beaver County Airport at 35 Piper Street in
Beaver Falls, PA.
Beaver Area Heritage Museum
County History Online]
the 90-year-old former freight station for the Pittsburgh &
Erie Railroad, this award winning local history museum
features exhibits and artifacts related to the history of
Beaver, Ft. McIntosh and the Beaver Valley of Pennsylvania.
On the grounds of the museum, visitors will find an
1802 log house which depicts the lifestyle of everyday
life of a frontier family during that time in history.
Located at 1 River Road in Beaver, PA.
Built in 1778,
the Fort was used as the headquarters of the largest army to
serve west of the Alleghenies to protect the western
frontier from attacks by the British and Native Americans.
Today, after 4 years of archaeological digging, there are
more than 80,000 artifacts along with the original stone
footers, walls and fireplaces to take visitors back in time
to the Revolutionary War period in what was to become
Beaver, PA. The historical artifacts from Fort McIntosh are
housed inside the
Beaver Area Heritage Museum and
The fort is located at River Road & Insurance Street in
Reverend Thomas E. Hughes of Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian
Church in 1802 as a preparatory school for college,
Greersburg Academy is the oldest standing building in Beaver
County. Today, the building is operated as a museum
and houses many of the Fort McIntosh historical artifacts
and over 3000 Native American artifacts along with the
history of the Underground Railroad in Beaver County. Open
seasonally. Located at 710 Market Street in downtown Darlington, PA.
McCarl Industrial and Agricultural Museum of Beaver County
operated by the Little Beaver Historical Society, the museum
features exhibits and artifacts related to the agricultural
history of Beaver County including farming implements, horse
drawn items and farm machines. The Hamilton Tool Forge
and Foundry are housed in a separate building where visitors
can enjoy demonstrations of blacksmithing, forging and
foundry techiniques of earlier times. Located at 801 &
803 Plumb Street in Darlington, PA.
Monaca Community Hall of Fame
Devoted to the
people who have given themselves to the Monaca community.
Historical photos, documents and artifacts from the Monaca
area of Pennsylvania are also on display. Located at
1098 Pennsylvania Avenue in Monaca, PA.
Village was established in 1824 by The Harmony Society, a
Christian communal group. Today, the site features a
large number of historic structures which have been
restored. Filled with artifacts, the picturesque
village has been declared a National Historic Landmark Site
where visitors can enjoy living history. Olde Economy
Village is open to the public for tours. Begin your
tour at the Visitors Center located at 270 16th Street in
Southside Historical Village
features historical buildings and cabins which have been
restored. The village currently has a log cabin, a one
room schoolhouse, a blacksmith shop, an 1800s barn, a
doctor's office, and a general store. More buildings
are being prepared. Open once a month and for special
events. Check the site for hours of operation.
Located on the Hookstown Grange Fair Grounds at 1198 State
Route 168 in Hookstown, PA.
St. Nicholas Chapel and Museum
Chapel is a replica of the wooden Greek Catholic Churches in
the Carpathian Mountain region of central Europe. A
museum is housed on the lower level featuring
historical documents, photos and items. Located at
5400 Tuscarawas Road in Beaver, PA.
Built in 1829 for
Captain Vicary, a wealthy sea captain, the historic Vicary
Mansion is today home to the Beaver County Historical
Research & Landmarks Foundation. It is being restored
and is open to the public to be toured with costumed
docents. Located at 1235 3rd Avenue in Freedom, PA.
Bedford Historic Guided Walking Tour
This is a great way to learn about the
history of Bedford, Pennsylvania and how the residents lived
in the "olden days". Offered by the Bedford County
Visitors Bureau. Visit their office at 131 South
Juliana Street in Downtown Bedford, PA.
Bloody Run Historical Society Museum
the historic Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad
Depot, the museum is operated by the Bloody Run Historical
Society and features an extensive collection of artifacts
and photos related to the history of Everett, Pennsylvania
along with a century old locomotive and other railroad
items. Located at 49 West 5th Street in Everett, PA.
Fort Bedford Museum
of Fort Bedford]
the site of the original Old Fort Bedford built in 1758, is
a log blockade built in 1958. Visitors to the site
will find a museum, a large scale model of the original Fort
Bedford, Native American artifacts and other historical
items from the Western Pennsylvania frontier. Located
at 110 Fort Bedford Drive in Bedford, PA.
National Museum of the American Coverlet
an historic 1859 Common School building, the museum features
a large collection of antique American woven coverlets
dating from 1771 to 1889. The museum also offers
special events, classes and a shop. Located at 322 S.
Juliana Street in Bedford, PA.
Old Bedford Village
Bedford Village Interactive Map]
Village is a large village comprised of historical
structures and provides a living history experience which
allows visitors to get a glimpse of Bedford, Pennsylvania's
rich heritage. Walk through a village of yesteryear, enjoy
re-enactments provided by costumed persons, colonial craft
demonstrations, exhibits and other seasonal activities while
learning about the past of Bedford. Located at 220
Sawblade Road in Bedford, PA. Open Seasonally and for
Old Log Church
Tour / Photos]
of Burials in the Old Log Church Cemetery]
The Old Log
Church was built in 1806 by German settler John Schell.
The historical building is the oldest Church structure in
Bedford, Pennsylvania and is listed on the National Register
of Historic Places There is an old graveyard on the
site that is of great interest to genealogy researchers.
The Church is open to visitors seasonally and for special
events. Located on Route 30 in Schellsburg, PA.
The 1897 stone mill was a woodworking and
grist mill business owned by Jacob Bahr. The
incredible mill is listed on the National Register of
Historic Places and is being fully restored. Operating
as a museum, the mill is open in the summertime and open by
appointment. Located just off Route 73 one mile west
of the center of Boyertown, PA.
Berks County Heritage Center
The Berks County Heritage Center is a complex
of historical buildings commemorating the cultural history
of Berks County. The Reeser stone house is the site of
the information center where visitors can begin their tour
of the complex. The complex includes Gruber Wagon
Works, the C. Howard Hiester Canal Center, Wertz's Covered
Bridge, Melcher's Grist Mill, the Deppen Cemetery and more.
The Heritage center is host to the annual Heritage Festival
and other annual and seasonal events. Located at 1102
Red Bridge Road in Reading, PA.
Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
Tour at YouTube]
Dedicated to the preservation of the
transportation history of Pennsylvania. Located at 85
South Walnut Street in Boyertown, PA.
(Central Pennsylvania African American
The Central Pennsylvania African American
Museum is focused on the collection and preservation of
historical artifacts, arts, documents, photographs and other
items related to the history and culture of African
Americans in the New World with particular emphasis on Berks
County and surrounding areas. Visitors tot he museum
will learn about the history of the Underground Railroad in
the Old Bethel A.M.E. Church of Reading, PA. The museum is
housed inside the African Methodist Episcopal Church located
at 119 N. Tenth Street in Reading, PA.
Covered Bridge Driving Tour and Photos
Daniel Boone Homestead
Area Map] [History
of Daniel Boone]
Boone Homestead is a state historic site featuring several
preserved historical structures with exhibits related to the
life and times of Daniel Boone. Daniel Boone's parents
were among the first settlers to the area in 1730.
Daniel Boone spent his youth in this area which is near
Reading Pennsylvania before moving to North Carolina.
Visitors will learn about Daniel Boone's youth and what life
was like among the early settlers. Located at 400
Daniel Boone Road in Birdsboro, PA.
Society of Berks County operates the HSBC Museum and History
Center. The Museum and History Center are focused on
the collection, preservation and interpretation of the rich
heritage of Berks County and surrounding area. Located
at 940 Centre Avenue in Reading, PA.
Hopewell Furnace National Historical
Furnace operated from 1771-1883 and was among the many "iron
plantations" which led the way to the growing iron industry
in the United States. Today, visitors may take a
self-guided walking tour into historic buildings. where they
may view exhibits and participate in audio-visual programs
to learn more about this time in US history. Historic
structures include the Ironmaster's House, the Charcoal
Furnace, a water wheel, the Cooling Shed, Bridge House,
Village Barn, Cast House, and a Blacksmith Shop among
others. Located inside French Creek State Park in
Union and Warwick Townships of PA.
Area History & Photos]
an 1892 school building, the museum features local
historical artifacts, documents, antiques and other items
related to the history of Kutztown, Pennsylvania and the
surrounding area. The museum is open for tours during
special events or call 610-683-7697 to arrange an
appointment. Located at the corner of Normal Avenue
and Whiteoak Street in Kutztown, PA.
a Historic Flight]
The museum is
focused on the history of Mid-Atlantic aviation and the
people who made it possible. The museum features a
large collection of historic and antique aircraft.
Rides are offered on some of the historical aircraft.
Located at 11 Museum Drive in Reading, PA.
The Pagoda was
built in 1906 as a luxury resort on Mt. Penn but was never
opened. Since 1911, The Pagoda has been maintained by
the city of Reading, Pennsylvania. Today, it maybe
toured and rental is also available. Located at 98
Duryea Drive in Reading, PA.
Reading Public Museum
features exhibits ranging from natural & local history to
Pennsylvania German folk art, and everything in between.
Focus is on the education and enlightenment of future
generations through the collection, preservation and
interpretation of objects of art, science and civilization.
Located at 500 Museum Road in Reading, PA.
Reading Railroad Museum
Railroad Heritage Museum is operated by the Reading Company
Technical & Historical Society who is dedicated to the
preservation and history of the Reading Railroad. The
museum features vintage railroad cars and locomotives,
historical photos & documents and artifacts related to the
rich heritage of the Reading Railroad. Located at 500
S. Third Street in Hamburg, PA.
Altoona Heritage Discovery Center
Altoona Heritage Discovery Center on Facebook
The center is
currently installing two permanent exhibits related to the
heritage of Altoona. The exhibits are being expanded
and the site is also a venue for local events. Located
in the Altoona Historic District at 1421-1427 Twelfth Avenue
in Altoona, PA.
Housed in the old Bradford county jail, the museum offers a
research center and genealogical library on the 3rd floor.
Closed in the
Horseshoe Curve National Historic Landmark
Opened in 1854,
the Horseshoe Curve, the incredible curve is known as one of
the world's most incredible engineering feats.
Visitors to the site will find a Visitors Center where they
will learn about the engineering marvel and may shop for
railroad souvenirs. Located at 2400 Veterans Memorial
Hwy in Altoona, PA.
Railroaders Memorial Museum
Memorial Museum features 3 floors of exhibits, historical
artifacts and items related to the history of railroaders
and their families. Located at 1300 9th Avenue in
Bradford County Historical Museum
Housed in the old Bradford county jail, the museum features
exhibits of historical artifacts and items in the old jail
cell blocks along with a
research center and genealogical library on the 3rd floor.
Open seasonally. Located at 109 Pine Street in Towanda,
Endless Mountains Heritage Region
organization is devoted to the historic preservation,
heritage development, conservation, tourism and cultural
awareness activities in the 4 county Endless Mountains
Region of Pennsylvania. The Endless Mountains Heritage
Region offices are housed inside the Old Red House, an
historic property located at 2 Jefferson Street in Towanda,
Azilum Historic Site
A small French
settlement was established here in the 1790s. A small
log cabin which has been relocated and reconstructed serves
as the museum about this historic settlement. French
Azilum is located
along the Susquehanna River at 469 Queen's Road in the
Azilum Township of Towanda, PA. See
Directions to the historic site,
LeRoy Heritage Museum
Museum Videos] [LeRoy
& Barclay Mountain History]
Step back to
earlier days in LeRoy. LeRoy Heritage
Museum features the history of coal mining and lumbering on
Barclay Mountain as well as life in LeRoy. It is open
Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Call for
hours. A research library is also located in the building
and is open by appointment.
Located on Mill Street in LeRoy, PA.
P. Bliss Gospel Songwriters Museum
Songs of Philip P. Bliss] [Photo
The museum is
housed in the house where gospel hymn songwriter Philip P.
Bliss once lived. He is known for writing many hymns
in the 1870s including Hallelujah, What a Savior and Almost
Persuaded. Located on Main Street in Rome, PA.
Sayre Historical Society and Museum
Sayre Historical Society Museum on Facebook
the preservation and sharing of the history of the people of
Sayre, Pennsylvania. The museum is housed inside the
former Lehigh Valley Railroad Passenger Station located in
downtown Sayre at 103 South Lehigh
Avenue in Downtown Sayre, PA.
Tioga Point Museum
features history, archaeology and art which is housed in the
century old Spaulding Building. Exhibits include
Native American artifacts, Revolutionary and Civil War
collections and other items related to the history of the
Athens area. Located at 724 S. Main Street in Athens,
Troy Farm Museum
Museum and Historic Village Brochure]
County Agricultural Museum features an extensive collection
of rare farm implements, tools and historical artifacts
reflecting over 200 years of the agricultural heritage of
the Bradford County area. Exhibits include carriages,
hand tools, textiles, the Troy Fair, and The Grange.
The site has expanded with a village of historical buildings
relocated there including a barber shop, carriage house, a
Children's Church, the Gregory Inn, a school house and the
Sugar Shack. Located in the heart of the Endless Mountains
of NE Pennsylvania, 1/2 mile north of the intersection of
Route 6 and Route 14 in Troy, PA. Visitors should
enter Alparon Park Gate #2 and follow the drive across the
parking lot to the museum building.
Wyalusing Valley Museum of History
the Bixby House, a corn crib, a barn and carriage house.
Visitors will find historical artifacts and items of
yesteryear including, war memorabilia, Native American
arrowheads, antique carriages, farm implements and much
Located in at 202 Church Street in Wyalusing across the
street from the Wyalusing Valley High School.
The 1927 Tudor mansion was once home to William
and Martha Mercer. It has been lovingly restored and today
can be rented for special occasions and weddings. Located
at 85 Old Dublin Pike in Doylestown, PA.
Bucks County Civil War Museum & Library
Housed inside the historic
Hall House, the museum features historic artifacts
related to the Civil War period. Visitors to the museum
will get a rare glimpse of what life was like in the 1860s.
Located at 32 N. Broad Street in Doylestown, PA.
Historic Fallsington [Meetinghouse
Visit the village
that time forgot. Once a Quaker community, Fallsington
today has meeting houses, businesses and residential buildings
which have been restored and appear as they did 200 years ago.
The information center is located at 4 Yardley Avenue in
Moravian Pottery and Tile Works
Pottery and Tile Works is a working history museums. Tile
and mosaics are produced in a manner similar to Henry Chapman
Mercer. The Tile Works is housed inside inside one of
Henry Mercer's concrete buildings. Located at 130 Swamp
Road in Doylestown, PA.
Museum & Fonthill Castle Museum
Focused on the history of Bucks County, the
Mercer History Museum holds the Henry Mercer collection of early
tools and everyday items used by early pioneers in Bucks County.
The Mercer Castle was built in 1916 by historian Henry Mercer
for the display of these items and exhibits. The Spruance
Library which is housed inside the Mercer Museum houses over
20,000 books, periodicals and pamphlets, documents and
photographs depicting local history and the life and works of
Henry Chapman Mercer. Fonthill was the home of Henry
Chapman Mercer. It was the first of three Mercer buildings
built in Doylestown. Known as "Castle for the New World",
Fonthill Castle Museum offers guided tours.
Mercer Museum is located at 84 South Pine
Street in Doylestown, PA.
Fonthill Castle Museum is
located at East Court Street and Route 313 in Doylestown, PA.
Operated by the
New Hope Historical Society, the mansion was built in 1784 by
Benjamin Parry, a found of New Hope. The home was occupied
by the Parry family until 1966. Today, it is occupied by
the New Hope Historical Society. Tours are conducted of
the mansion and grounds. Each of the 11 rooms feature a
different time period during the time the Parry family occupied
the mansion. Located at 45 South Main Street in New Hope,
Pearl S. Buck House
The 1825 stone
farmhouse which was home to Pearl S. Buck (author, activist and
humanitarian) is today a museum. Visitors to the house
will learn about the life and times of Pearl S. Buck and
experience collections of Pennsylvania country furniture,
Chinese decorative items and paintings, and works by artists
Redfield and Baum. Located at 520 Dublin Road in Perkasie,
Pennsbury manor is
a recreated country home of William Penn in Bucks County, PA.
Tours of the house are offered. Visitors will learn about
the life and times of William Penn and experience the way of
life during the time of the birth of Pennsylvania. Open
Sunday afternoons and during special events. Located at
400 Pennsbury Memorial Road in Morrisville, PA.
Katharine Drexel Shrine
Drexel was the foundress of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament
in 1891. Located at 1663 Bristol Pike in Bensalem, PA.
Cooper Cabin Pioneer Homestead
Built in 1810 by the Cooper family, the Cooper
log cabin is furnished with family heirlooms, antiques and
memorabilia. There is an herb garden, spinning house and
springhouse on the grounds as well. It is currently closed
for repairs but plans for 2014 activities are being made.
Located at 199 Cooper Road in Cabot, PA.
Built in 1828 by
US Senator, Walter Lowrie, the Shaw House is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places. Featuring original
furnishings, the house has been restored and opened for tours.
The Butler County Historical Society is also headquartered in
the Shaw House Museum and operates a research library.
Located at 123 West Diamond Street in Butler, PA.
The Little Red Schoolhouse
The Little Red
School House was built in 1836 as the first public school in
Butler, Pennsylvania. Used for school classes until 1874, the
historic school house is today used as a living history museum.
Arrangements may be made for group tours. Call 724-283-8116 for
information. Located behind the Butler Junior High School
at 200 East Jefferson Street in Butler, PA.
The Maridon Museum
is focused on Chinese and Japanese art and culture.
Located at 322 North McKean Street in Butler, PA.
County Historical Society Museum
Housed inside the
A. W. Buck Victorian Mansion, the Cambria County Historical
Society features a museum of historical items and documents
related to the heritage of Cambria County. Located at 615
North Center Street in Ebensburg, PA.
Heritage Discovery Center
The Frank & Sylvia
Pasquerilla Heritage Discovery Center features several museums
and attractions. Operated by the Johnstown Area Heritage
Association and offering visitors a look into the past of
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, there is much to see and do at the
Heritage Discovery Center. Learn about the immigrant
experience which is focused on the immigrants who arrived
between 1880 and 1914, settling the many ethnic neighborhoods.
Iron and Steel Gallery features the history of
this important industry in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Visit
Johnstown Children's Museum where children may learn
through hands-on exhibits. All of these are part of the
Heritage Discovery Center located in a 5 story structure at 201
Sixth Avenue in Johnstown, PA.
Johnstown Flood Museum
of the Johnstown Flood]
Tour of Downtown Johnstown]
Map of Johnstown (PDF File)]
Flood Museum is housed inside the former Cambria Library
building which was rebuilt after the Johnstown flood. The
building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Open since 1973, the museum features exhibits and artifacts
telling the story of the flood. Items recovered from the
flood, photos and news reports, along with the Morgue Books
recounting over 2000 people who died, and recovery period items
are on display. Located at 304 Washington Street in
Johnstown Flood National Memorial
Flood Morgue Books]
Flood Memorial commemorates the tragic flood of 1889 which
killed over 2000 people when Lake Conemaugh's South Fork Dam
Portage Station Museum
Built in 1926,
Portage Station served the Pennsylvania Railroad until 1954.
Today the historic structure is used as a museum operated by the
Portage Area Historical Society. Collections of artifacts,
relics and items related to the history of the Portage
area of Pennsylvania are featured. Located at 400 Lee
Street in Portage, PA.
Wagner-Ritter House & Garden
/ Ritter Family History]
house museum offers visitors a rare glimpse into the life of a
steelworking family in Johnstown's Cambria City. The
museum is devoted to the interpretation of the home lives of the
thousands of steel workers who lived, worked and played in the
Cambria City neighborhood of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The
1860s home has been restored including the vintage gardens and
opened to the public. Located at 418 Broad Street in
||The Little Museum at Sterling Run
Brochure (PDF File)]
Housed inside the
former 1930 Lumber Township Country School, the museum is home
to the Cameron County Historical Society which offers historical
artifacts, photos & documents related to the history of Cameron
County, Pennsylvania. Special displays feature Tom Mix and
General Joseph T. McNarney, both natives of Cameron County.
Located on Rt 120 about 9 miles south of Emporium in Sterling
Asa Packer Mansion Museum
Tour this 1861 mansion built in 1861 by
Samuel Sloan, a Philadelphia architect. The beautiful
3 story mansion was once home to Asa Packer, the
philanthropist, railroad magnate and founder of Lehigh
University. Overlooking the Mauch Chunk National Historic
District, the mansion is filled with antiques and items
original to the house and Packer family. Today,
docent-guided visitor tours are offered seasonally. Call
570-325-3229 for current hours. Located behind the
Carbon County Courthouse on Packer Avenue in Jim Thorpe, PA.
Eckley's Miners Village
Eckley is an old coal mining town which was
begun in 1854. Eckley is still there, the mining long
since stopped and the mining operation was sold to the
Anthracite Historical Site Museum.
Eckley Miners' Village
2 Eckley Main Street
Weatherly, PA 18255
Mauch Chunk Museum and Cultural Center
Visitors to the Mauch Chunk Museum and
Cultural Center will discover the story of Mauch Chunk from
the time of geological formation of coal in prehistoric
times to present day. Exhibits and artifacts are
focused on the Lenape Indians, coal mining, the early
settlement of Mauch Chunk, and how the town changed it's
name to Jim Thorpe. The museum features photos,
artifacts and exhibits related to the history of Mauch Chunk
along with tours of the town of Jim Thorpe. Located at
41 West Broadway in Jim Thorpe, PA.
The Old Jail Museum
of the Old Jail]
The Old Jail features guided history
tours seasonally and in October offers
Ghost Tours as the old jail is said to be haunted.
Visitors will see the jail cells, the gallows where seven of
the Molly Maguires were put to death and the dungeon.
Located at 128 W. Broadway in Jim Thorpe, PA.
St. Mark's Tour
St. Mark's has been established as a national
landmark. Featuring beautiful furnishings and stained
glass, the Church offers guided tours. Located at 21
Race Street in Jim Thorpe, PA.
Summit Hill Historical Society Museum
Housed inside the old Summit Hill Depot, the
museum holds a large collection of historical photographs
and items which depict typical mining life in Summit Hill
during the last 200 years. Located at 12 East Ludlow
Street in Summit Hill, PA.
Centre County Library Historical Museum Building
Housed in the historic Miles - Humes home,
the focus is on the history of Centre County, Pennsylvania
with a large collection of genealogies, newspapers, county
histories and local records. The museum features
photos, documents and memorabilia of interest to family and
local historians. Located at 203 North Allegheny
Street in Bellafonte, PA.
Centre Furnace Mansion
Furnace Mansion Residents] [Thompson
Home to and
operated by the Centre County Historical Society, the
mansion was used historically as the residence for the
ironmaster of Centre Furnace. Today, the residence has
been restored and furnished to reflect the time period
1842-1891 when it was occupied by ironmaster Moses Thompson
and his family. The mansion is also available for
rental for special events. Centre Furnace mansion is
located at the Centre Furnace National Historic Site at 1001
East College Avenue in State College, PA.
Columbus Chapel and Boals Mansion Museum
Penns Valley Area Historical Museum
Devoted to the
collection and preservation of the prehistoric, historical
and cultural heritage of the people of the Penns Valley and
Brush Valley regions of Pennsylvania. Visitors will find
historical artifacts along with a research and genealogical
library. Open seasonally. Call 814-349-4811 for
appointment. Located at 244 West Aaron Square in
This lovely old town has many surviving
historical buildings which can be toured.
American Helicopter Museum
Helicopter Museum features a collection of over 35 civilian and
military helicopters, autogiros and convertaplanes.
Visitors are allowed to board many of the helicopters to get a
hands-on experience. Located at 1220 American Blvd. in
historic West Chester, PA.
of the Mill at Anselma]
The Mill at
Anselma is an historic artifact in itself. The mill
features the original Colonial-era power train and industrial
equipment dating form the late 1700s to the mid 1900s, giving
visitors a glimpse into milling of long ago. The historic
mill has been restored and includes a water wheel, the house,
barn, springhouses and a chicken coop from yesteryear.
Check for dates of operation on their web site. The mill
is located at 401 (Conestoga Road) about 1/2 mile west of Rt.
113 in Chester Springs, PA.
Chester County History Center and Museum
The History Center
houses the museum, a library, photo archives and the
Chester County Historical Society. Focused on the
history of the people of Chester County and the Delaware Valley,
the museum holds over 70,000 objects, spanning over 300 years of
Chester County, Pennsylvania history. Located at 225 N.
High Street in West Chester, PA.
Herr's Snack Factory Tours
Visitors can tour the Herr Foods factory which
has been making snacks since 1946. Call 1-800-274-7488 for
reservations. Located at 20 Herr Drive in Nottingham, PA.
Furnace National Historic Site
Hopewell Plantation operated from 1771 to 1883.
This historic is devoted to the history of America's early
industry. The park features 848 acres and historic
structures illustrate the business, technology and lifestyle of
our growing nation. Located at 2 Mark Lane in
Oxford, Historic Downtown
of Oxford] [History
of Oxford, PA]
Oxford, Pennsylvania began as a crossroads in
1754 with the two story log cabin built by John Hayes in what
was known as the time as Londonderry Township. Also known at
times as Hoods Corner, Hoods Crossing and Hoods Tavern, the
settlement became known as Oxford on November 26, 1754 when
Londonderry Township was divided. Visitors to the area,
can explore the historic buildings and homes with a large number
of shopping and eating establishments. There are many
tours offered in Oxford.
Valley Forge is well-known in history as the site
of the 1777-1778 winter encampment of the Continental Army
during the Revolutionary war. Begin your visit at the
Visitor Center located at 1400 North Outer Line Drive in King of
West Chester Railroad
and Train Schedule]
The tourist railroad offers a wide variety of
nostalgic 90 minute trips along the beautiful Chester Creek
Valley in Southeastern, Pennsylvania. Board at 230 E.
Market Street in West Chester, PA.
The Wharton Esherick Studio and Museum
Housed inside the studio/home of the American
Master Woodworker Wharton Esherick, are the beautiful and
interesting creations of this woodworker. The studio /
home is one of his finest creations. Visitors will find a
beautiful massive free-form spiral oak staircase, hand crafted
wood furniture, lamps and other furnishings. Located at
1520 Horseshoe Trail Road in Malvern, PA.
The historic Sutton-Ditz house was built in 1850 by Thomas
Sutton and renovated in 1908 by John Ditz. Operated by the
Clarion County Historical Society today, the house is filled
with historical items and tours are offered. Located at 18
Grant Street in Clarion, PA.
Clearfield County Historical Society & Museum
The Clearfield County Historical Museum is housed inside an
historical mansion built over 135 years ago. Operated by
the Clearfield County Historical Society, visitors to the museum
will find exhibits and publications focused on the history of
Clearfield County. Located at 104 East Pine Street in
Coalport Area Coal Museum
The Coalport Area Coal Museum holds artifacts donated by
families of former coal miners who mined in this area known for
it's mines of bituminous coal. Located inside the Coalport
Community Building at 961 Forrest Street in "Historic Coalport",
Beccaria Township, PA.
Clearfield Community Museum
Housed inside what was once Scoot's Uncle Tom Grice's 1945 gas
station, the museum features a collection of over 70 antique
classic cars from the 1900s to today's specialty cars.
This great place for car buffs is located at 119 North 4th
Street in Clearfield, PA.
Korb House Museum
Korb House Museum on Facebook
Operated by the Curwensville-Pike Township Historical Society,
the museum features a collection of artifacts and documents
related to the history of the Curwensville area housed in the
historic Korb House. Located at 839 State Street in
Barton Street School
The 1874 one room school house houses memorabilia from local
fire companies along with military and local history of Lock
Haven, Pennsylvania. It is operated and maintained by the
Clinton County Historical Society. Schedule a tour through
Clinton County Historical Society.
Central Model Railroad Club
The club is housed inside the historical 1883 Castanea Railroad
Station. Devoted to the purpose of advancement of the interest
in model railroading, the purpose is to bring together persons
interested in operating and collecting model railroad equipment
and related items. Located at 15 Logan Avenue in Lock
Heisey House Museum
Part of the museum is housed inside a brick Federal farmhouse
built ca 1831 by Dr. John Henderson of Huntington County.
The museum features antiques and historical objects related to
the history of the Clinton County and the surrounding area.
An extensive collection of historical objects from the
archaeological digs are also on display in the Boyd Grieb Ice
House. The Heisey Museum is operated by and headquarters
Clinton County Historical Society and is located at 362 East
Water Street in Lock Haven, PA.
Old Bike Barn
features collections of Harley Davidson motorcycles including
the old Indians. Other collections include Moto Guzzi's,
carousels, circus and Mardi Gras memorabilia. Located at
7183 US 11 in Bloomsburg, PA.
Railroad Company and Whistle Stop Fence
Devoted to the
railroad history of the area, they have 14 completely restored
cabooses. Visitors can see railroad history come alive
through exhibits and artifacts. Located at 119 Pine Street
in Catawissa, PA.
Conyngham Valley Historical Society and Museum
Housed in the 1848
IOOF Lodge 308 building, the museum is devoted to the history of
the Conyngham Valley area. Located next to the Union
Cemetery at 470 Main Street in Conyngham, PA.
The Jackson Mansion
Built ca 1878, the Jackson Mansion is continuously restoring the
home to it's 1879 splendor and currently is open for tours.
Operated by the Berwick Historical Society, the historical house
museum is located at 344 N. Market Street in Berwick, PA.
Cumberland County Historical Society Museum
Featuring over 3000 square feet of exhibit space, the museum
tells the history of life in Cumberland County from the days of
Native Americans to the creation of the turnpike and settlement.
Located at 21 N. Pitt Street in Carlisle, PA.
Two Mile House
Built of limestone in 1820, the Federal period house is on the
National Register of Historic Places. The beautiful home
is surrounded by 5 lusciously landscaped property. Open to
the public during the McClain Celtic Festival and by
appointment. Available for rental for special occasions
and events. Call 717-243-3437. Located at 1189
Walnut Bottom Road in Carlisle, PA.
Union County Fire Museum
The Museums is
maintained in part of the old Union Fire Station which was
built in 1888. Two floors of historical artifacts will
enlighten visitors about the history of this organization
which had it's beginnings in 1789 along with some
interesting history of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Located
at 35 West Louther Street in Carlisle, PA.
Map of Historic Sites at Fort Hunter]
Sitting on a bluff overlooking the Susquehanna River, Fort
Hunter Mansion and Park has served as a war fort, a major hub
for frontier commerce and a private estate. Today, it has
been preserved and opened to the public. Guided tours of
the Fort Hunter Mansion will take visitors back in time where
they can get a glimpse into the rich heritage of early
Pennsylvania. There are many other historic structures in
the park including an ice house, a spring house, the 1885
Heckton Church, a dairy, the Tavern House and many others.
Facilities may be rented for weddings and events. Located at
5300 North Front Street in Harrisburg, PA.
Harrisburg Walking Tour Brochure (PDF File)
Everyone knows and loves Hershey's chocolate. The Hershey
Story is a museum devoted to the life and times of Milton S.
Hershey, his chocolate company and the town who is named Hershey
as well. Visitors can have the chance to participate in
Chocolate Lab, a hands on experience. Located at 63
West Chocolate Avenue in Hershey, PA.
John Harris and Simon Cameron Mansion
Built in 1766 by John Harris, this historic mansion has been
declared a National Historic Landmark. Tours of the
mansion are offered and it may be rented for personal or
business events. Behind the mansion, visitors will find
the headquarters of the Historical Society of Dauphin County and
archives & research facilities. Located at 219 South
front Street in Harrisburg, PA.
National Civil War Museum
The National Civil War Museum holds enormous collections of
artifacts, documents, manuscripts, photographs and other items
related to the United States Civil War. Visitors will
experience the raw emotions of the Civil War in America and it's
impact on her people. Located at One Lincoln Circle at
Reservoir Park in Harrisburg, PA.
Pennsylvania National Fire Museum
Housed inside the 1899 Victorian firehouse, Reily Hose Company
No. 10, the museum holds extensive collections of artifacts
related to the history of firefighting. Visitors will
enjoy viewing antique fire engines, and historical artifacts and
tools used in firefighting over the years. A unique
exhibit is the 18th & 19th century stovepipe parade hat
collection. Located at 1820 North Fourth Street in
Pennsylvania State Capitol
The beautiful and historical state capitol of Pennsylvania
offers guided tours to visitors daily where they will explore
the beautiful architecture and enjoy paintings, stained glass
and antique furnishings. A Welcome Center invites visitors
to learn about Pennsylvania government while having fun at the
same time. Located at the intersection of 3rd and State Streets
in Harrisburg, PA.
State Museum of Pennsylvania
Offering visitors a glimpse into all aspects of Pennsylvania
history, the State Museum of Pennsylvania holds large
collections of historical artifacts and items related to the
early events and settlement of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Many exhibits are geared toward children as well and features
many hands-on experiences. Located at 300 North Street in
Brandywine Battlefield Historic Site
[History of the Battle]
The Battle of
Brandywine was one of the largest engagements of the
Revolutionary War. The battle was fought on Sept. 11
1777 between the Continental Army led by George Washington
and the British forces led by General William Howe.
The grounds are open to the public Monday through Friday but
the historic buildings and visitor center are temporarily
closed. Historic structures include Washington's
Headquarters, and the Gilpin House which appears much like
it did in 1777. At times, special events are presented
featuring battle re-enactments and Located at 1491 Baltimore
Pike in Chadds Ford, PA.
Brandywine River Museum of Art
Brandywine River Museum on Facebook
a 19th century mill on the Brandywine River, the museum
holds a collection of American art including a renowned
collection of art created by the Wyeth family. Located
on US Route 1 just past Creek Road in Chadds Ford,
Caleb Pusey House and Landingford Plantation
Built ca 1683,
the historic house is the only building still standing which
has a documented association with William Penn. The
house was built on the 100 acre plantation once known as
Landing Ford. Call 610-874-5665 for tour information.
Located at 15 Race Street in Upland, PA.
Chester Courthouse (Old)
1724 Chester Courthouse on Facebook
Photos of 1724 Chester County Courthouse]
Photos of 1724 Chester County Courthouse]
Built 1724 as
the county courthouse for Chester County, it became the
Delaware County Courthouse when this area of Chester County
was separated and created into Delaware County. The
historical building is still standing and is now open to the
public to tour. Located at 1200 Main Street in
Christian Sanderson Museum
Christian Carmack Sanderson]
The museum is
housed inside the historic country home of Chris Sanderson
which is filled with objects and artifacts related to life
in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania as well as many historic items
from the Revolutionary War, Civil War and both World Wars.
There is much history presented about the Battle of
Brandywine. Located at 1755 Creek Road (Old Route 100)
in Chadds Ford, PA.
Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation
history museum gives visitors to Colonial Pennsylvania
Plantation a glimpse into the daily lives of farmers and
their families in 18th century Pennsylvania. The
plantation is an actual working farm with authentically
restored buildings. Costumed docents provide
demonstrations of crafts and daily activities of this 18th
century time period. Open seasonally... and closed in
winter. Workshops are also offered, allowing visitors
to participate in the activities. Located at 3900
North Sandy Flash Drive.
The Finley House
and operated by the Radnor Historical Society, the Finley
House was started in 1789 with a kitchen and was the core of
the farmhouse of Revolutionary war veteran Captain John
Pugh. The house has had many alterations and additions over
the years and today the house with it's surrounding historic
buildings and structures are being restored. Visitors
are invited to tour the house and grounds located at 113
West Beechtree Lane in Wayne, PA.
Governor Printz Park
The park is
home to the remains of the Printz home and headquarters
of Governor Johan Printz, a Swedish settler who came to the
new world in 1643 and established New Gothenburg and what
later became known as Pennsylvania. Located at the
corner of Taylor Avenue and Second Street in Essington, PA.
The Grange is
an estate that was built over many years by many different
owners but got it's start with Henry Lewis, a Welsh Quaker,
who built his home on 500 acres in 1682 and named it after
his village in Wales. The name Maen Coch means Red
Stone. Today, the Grange comprises close to 10 acres
and is surrounded by Chatham Park and Chatham Village.
Tours are offered seasonally. Located at 143
Myrtle Avenue in Havertown, PA.
Historic Downtown Upland, PA
John Chad's House and Springhouse
on a plantation on the Brandywine River, the historic house
reflects John Chads' Quaker heritage. John Chad
operated a successful ferry and tavern on the Brandywine
River. Chadds Ford was named after John Chad.
The John Chad house is open on summer weekends for tours and
is located at 1719 N. Creek Road in Chadds Ford, PA.
House, being about 260 years old, is known as the oldest
house still standing in Media, Pennsylvania. The
Meeting House across Providence Road is nearly 300 years
old. Minshall House stands much as it did in it's early
beginnings and is filled with period furnishings which
include many valuable antiques. Open seasonally for
tours. Call 610-891-9929 for appointments.
Located at the intersection of Front Street and Providence
Road in Media, PA.
The Morton Morton House
house was built ca 1750 by Morton Morton, a cousin to signer
of the Declaration of Independence, John Morton. The
beautiful house is being restored by the Norwood Historical
Society and is being opened to the public for tours
seasonally. Call 610-586-5800 for tour information.
Located at the junction of Muckinipates and Darby Creeks in
Newlin Grist Mill
Mill and Historic Structures at the Site]
Grist Mill is a water-powered grist mill built in 1704 by
Nathaniel and Mary Newlin on the West Branch of Chester
Creek. The mill ran continuously until 1941 and was
operated by numerous owners. The Mill, several other
historic houses and structures and the 150 acre park which
surrounds it, are being preserved by the Nicholas Newlin
Foundation. Visitors to the park will get a glimpse
into the rural life of the 18th century on Chester Creek.
Located at the intersection of Cheyney Road and Baltimore
Pike in Concord Township, PA.
the Springfield Historical Society, the museum features
historic photos, antique maps, memorabilia, documents and
other items related to the heritage of Springfield,
Pennsylvania. Located at the McLaughlin Education
Center at Springfield High School at 111 W. Leamy Avenue in
Built in 1742,
Square Tavern was run by John West, father to fame artist
Benjamin West. The Square Tavern is open to the public
on Saturdays in July and August. Located on Route 252
and Goshen Road in Newtown Square, PA.
Swedish Log Cabin
Left behind by
Swedish settlers, the cabin is a historical remnant of the
Scandinavian pioneers led by Peter Minuit in 1638. The
settlement was known as New Sweden. Located at 9 Creek
Road in Drexel Hill, PA.
Thomas Massey House
Built in 1696,
the historical home of Thomas and Phebe Massey is one of the
oldest English Quaker homes in Pennsylvania. The home
is beautifully restored and furnished. Open for tours
seasonally. Located on Lawrence Road at Springhouse
Road in Broomall, PA.
William Brinton House
Built in 1704, the William Brinton House is a
historical Quaker home. Known as one of the oldest
restored houses in the United States, the house has been on
the Register of National Historic Landmarks since 1968.
The house is filled with authentic and historic furnishings
and items. Open seasonally for tours. Located at
21 Oakland Road in West Chester, PA.
William Penn Landing Site
William Penn landed at this site in the
Pennsylvania Colony on October 28, 1682. There is a
large granite monument at the site erected in the 1920s.
Located in a small park at Penn and Front Streets in
The Center House Museum
The mansion is home to the Elk County
Historical Society who maintains a museum inside the
Victorian house. The house is filled with period furnishings
and includes a Doctor's Office. Located at 109 Center
Street in Ridgway, PA.
Mt. Zion Historical Park
The historical park is located at the former
site of Elk County's oldest Protestant Church - Mt. Zion.
A memorial to the historic Church is located inside the
park. Located in Weedville, PA.
Museum of Memories
Operated by the Historical Society of St.
Mary's & Benzinger Twp., the museum features two large
floors filled with historical artifacts, documents and other
items related to the history of St. Mary's and Benzinger.
Located at 99 Erie Avenue in St. Mary's, PA.
The Robinson Museum
Operated by the Elk County Historical
Society, the museum features exhibits related to the history
of Elk County along with a book store and genealogy research
room. Located in Ridgway, PA.
Battles Museums of Rural Life
museum features two historic houses located on over 130
acres of farmland, woods and hiking trails. The
historic site and complex strives to interpret the past 180
years of agricultural life in Erie County, Pennsylvania.
Located at 436 Walnut Street in Girard, PA.
Corry Area Historical Society Museum
Featuring over 10,000 historical artifacts,
the museum is devoted to the collection, preservation and
exhibition of items related to the history of the Corry,
Pennsylvania area including historic photos, documents,
maps, books and artifacts. Located on the south end of
Mead Park at 945 Mead Avenue in Corry, PA.
House was built in 1839 by William Kelly, an architect from
Philadelphia. The house features marble floors,
vaulted ceilings, keyhole shapped doorways and other
intricate and unique design. Filled with antique
furniture, artwork, and items related to the Victorian era
along with significant museums collections of household
items and furnishings. Located next to the Museum of
Erie County History and the History Center at 417 State
Street in Erie, Pa.
Erie Land Lighthouse
lighthouse and lantern room features guided tours.
Located in the Lighthouse Park at Two Lighthouse Street in
Erie Maritime Museum
tells the story of the people and events affecting the
people who lived around Lake Erie. When in port, the
Flagship Niagara is the major exhibit. Located at 150
East Front Street in Erie, PA.
Firefighters Historical Museum
History Museum Gallery]
Built in 1903,
the fire station is the second to be built on this site.
Originally known as the Eagle Hose Company, it was changed
in 1904 as Engine Company #4. Today, the station
houses a museum filled with antique firefighting equipment
and other items related to the history of firefighting in
Erie, Pennsylvania. Located at 428 Chestnut Street in
Harborcreek Historical Society
Devoted to the
preservation and display of Harborcreek Township history,
artifacts and memories. An
archives for family and local history research is also
provided. Located in Knowledge Park at 5451 Merwin
Lane in Erie, PA.
Museum of Erie County History
exhibits related to the rich heritage of Erie County,
Pennsylvania, the museum exhibits and galleries to provide
visitors a glimpse into the history of Erie County.
Located at 419 State Street in Erie, PA.
mansion is part of "Millionaires' Row" in the West Sixth
Street Historic District.
Located at 356
West Sixth Street in Erie, PA.
Coal and Coke Heritage Center [Virtual
Focused on the preservation of the history of
the Connelsville Coke Region. Located at Penn State
Fayette - The Eberly Campus in Uniontown, PA.
Necessity National Battlefield.
George C. Marshall Memorial Plaza
A self-guided tour of the life and times
of the Uniontown native (George C. Marshall) who was a
General of the Army during World War II and Secretary of
State afterward. Located at 5 Corners in Uniontown,
Mansion at Linden Hall
1913 by Sarah B. Cochran, the mansion has 35 rooms, 27
fireplaces and 13 baths on 4 floors of approximately 35,000
square feet. This Victorian turn-of-the-century home
features period furnishings of elegance and is open for
tours. Also available for events and weddings.
Located at 432 Linden Hall Road in Dawson, PA.
Mount Vernon Furnace [History
of Bullskin Twp.]
Built in 1801
by Isaac Meason, the furnace was used to cast iron ore which
was mined in the area. Located in Mounts Creek,
Bullskin Twp, Wooddale, PA.
Smock Heritage Museum
Housed in the
old Union Supply Company Store on the top floor, the Smock
Museum offers a collection of artifacts related to life in
the coal patch town of Smock. Located in Smock, PA.
P&LE Passenger Train Station was restored by the
Youghiogheny Opalescent Glass Company. The station if
full of Mission-style furnishings, Tiffany-style lamps and
glass pieces. Glass art may be purchased.
Located at 900 W. Craford Ave in Connellsville, PA.
Focused on the
history of the Greencastle-Antrim are of Pennsylvania, the
museum includes the Irwin House known as Walnut Hill and houses
exhibits and artifacts related to the history of the
Greencastle-Antrim area. Located at 365 South Ridge Avenue
in Greencastle, PA.
Focus is on the
cultural and natural history of the Appalachian frontier of
Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia. Headquartered on Rock
Hill Farm, an historic farmstead listed on the National Register
of Historic Places, the site features two historic house museums
with outbuildings, a research library, two relocated log
structures, a replica Eastern Woodland Indian village, historic
gardens, walking trails, and a pioneer cemetery.
Historical artifacts and items are on display. A Colonial
Fair provides a living history event yearly in September
which includes re-enactments and demonstrations. Located
at 12995 Bain Road in Mercersburg, PA.
Fort Loudon Historical Site
French and Indian fort awaits visitors. Located near the
Appalachian Mountains on Brooklyn Road, west of Chambersburg in
Franklin County, PA.
County Historical Society Museum
An old jail is home
to the historical society, museum and genealogical library.
Located at 175 E. King Street in Chambersburg, PA.
Highway was our nation's first coast-to-coast highway.
Begin your visit at the
Lincoln Highway Experience Museum where you can view an
orientation film and see exhibits, artifacts and other
memorabilia related to travel on the Lincoln Highway in the
early 20th century. Located at 3435 US Route 30 East in
Built by Joseph J.
and Myrtle Oller in 1892, the Oller House is a Queen Anne style
house. The house was occupied by the Oller family for
almost a century and then donated to the Waynesboro Historical
Society by Rello Oller. The house has been restored and
preserved. Portions of the house hold exhibits and a museum
while the upstairs houses a research library and archives.
Available for event rentals. Located at 138 W. Main Street
in Waynesboro, PA.
The Stewart House
Operated by the
Shippensburg Historical Society, the Stewart House is open for
docent-led tours and the society provides a
research library of materials documenting local history.
Located at 52 West King Street in Shippensburg, PA.
Built ca1793, the
Fulton House was a stone tavern and inn known as The Union
Hotel. Many governors and US presidents stayed in The
Union Hotel. Today, the building has been restored and
houses the Fulton County Historical Society Museum.
County Historical Society for appointment. Located at
112-116 Lincoln Way East in McConnellsburg, PA.
Greene County Historical Society Museum
museum is housed inside the 1860s Greene County Poor Farm.
Operated by the Green County Historical Society, the museum
features exhibits, and historical artifacts related to the
history of Greene County, Pennsylvania. Outside, the
original carriage house and barn are still standing and features
an agricultural exhibit. Behind the museum, inside the old
boiler house, you will find the
library and archives for Greene County historical documents
and photos. Visit at 918 Rolling Meadows Road in
Mac Museum Restaurant
Located at 9061 Route 30 in North Huntingdon, PA.
Area Coal Miners Museum
Focus is on the
preservation and interpretation of the coal mining and
railroading history of the Broad Top Mountain and Coal Field.
Visitors to the museum will learn about semi-bituminous coal
mining, railroading and the iron-making industry on Broad Top
Mountain in the south-central area of Pennsylvania.
Located at 105 Church Street in Robertsdale, PA.
Devoted to the
exhibition and demonstration of the traditions of the family
farms which dotted the landscape of Huntingdon County,
Pennsylvania, the museum is located on the Huntingdon County
Hartslog Heritage Museum
Day Heritage Festival on Facebook]
Housed inside the
1906 Alexandria Memorial Public Library building, the museum
holds historical artifacts related to the history of the
Hartslog Valley and town. Open on a limited basis and by
appointment. Call 814-207-1410 for appointment or times.
Located on Main Street in Alexandria, PA.
The museum complex
at Isett Acres features a collection of over 40,000 items
including historical artifacts, antiques and memorabilia from
the 19th and 20th centuries. Located at Stone Creek Ridge
Road in Huntingdon, PA.
The Victorian House Museum on Facebook
Built by William
McMurtrie in 1854, the McMurtrie mansion is now home to the
Huntingdon County Historical Society and is known as The
Victorian House Museum. The society also operates a
research library at this location. Located at 106 Fourth
Street in Huntingdon, PA.
Rockhill Trolley Museum
Step back in time
to the days of electric trolleys. The museum tells the
story and features a collection of antique trolleys.
Visitors may take a ride through the scenic countryside on an
historic trolley. Located at 430 Meadow Street in Rockhill
Focus is on the
history of the American automobile. The collections
include antique autos, license plates, radiator emblems, lights
and other memorabilia and related vintage items. Located
at 12031 William Penn Highway in Huntingdon, PA.
Indiana County Historical Museum
Visitors to the Indiana County Historical Museum
will learn about the history of Indiana County, Pennsylvania
from Native American history through early settlement, farming
and mining. Located at 621 Wayne Avenue in Indiana, PA.
Jimmy Stewart Museum
Devoted to the life and times of Jimmy Stewart
and his family, the museum is located on the third floor of the
Indiana Public Library at 835 Philadelphia Street in Indiana,
The University Museum brings history and the arts
of the region together for the education and enjoyment of
visitors. Located in Sutton Hall, Room 111 at 1011 South
Drive in Indiana, PA.
Coolspring Power Museum
Focus of the Coolspring Power Museum is on the
collection, preservation and interpretation of historically and
mechanically interesting early stationary internal combustion
engines. Visitors will learn about the evolution of the
internal combustion engine. The museum houses over 250
stationary engines. Located at 179 Coolspring Road in
County History Center
Jefferson County History Center on Facebook
County History Center is housed in the Nathan Greene Edelblute
Building which has been preserved by the Jefferson County
Historical Society. The History Center features 8
galleries of exhibits, a research library, a gift shop and staff
offices. Exhibits includes historic photos, documents,
books and artifacts related to the history of Jefferson County
from prehistoric times to present day. Located at 172-176
Main Street in Brookville, PA.
Taylor Memorial Museum
Operated by the
Brockway Area Historical Society, the museum holds a collection
of historic artifacts from the glass industry, lumbering
industry, and the mining and farming communities. The
museum also features a genealogical research area for those
doing family history research in the area. Located at 765
Park Street in Brockway, PA.
Tuscarora Academy Museum
Housed in a historic building which is the only
surviving building of the Tuscarora Academy, the museum is
operated by the Tuscarora County Historical Society who displays
historic artifacts and exhibits related to the history of
Juniata County, Pennsylvania. Located at 472 Academy Road
in Mifflintown, PA.
Steamtown National Historic Site
The National Park
is in the historic Scranton railroad of the former Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western Railroad yard. A large collection
of standard-gauge steam locomotives and frieght and passenger
cars is on display. Visitors can ride a steam train and
experience this era of transportation. The park entrance
is located near 4 Lackawanna Avenue in Scranton, PA.
Lawrence County Historical Society and Museum
The Lawrence County
Historical Society operates a museum of historic artifacts,
antiques and items related to the rich heritage of Lawrence
County, Pennsylvania. The museum is housed inside the
former home to tin plate magnate, George Greer. The
beautiful turn-of-the-century mansion is furnished with period
antiques. Located at 408 North Jefferson Street in New
Historic Annville Train Station
the Friends of Old Annville and open on occasions and can be
rented for events. Call 717-867-4326 for information.
Located at 155 North Moyer Street in Annville, PA.
of Annville] [Friends
of Old Annville Video]
Annville is being restored by the friends of
Old Annville and has been placed on the National Register of
Historic Places. The Annville Historic District
features over 260 buildings in the are of Queen and Main
Streets. Step back in time as you stroll the Annville
of days gone by and visit the
Quittie Creek Nature Park on Quittapahilla Creek where
you can find historic lime kilns and an old mill site.
Located on Main and Queen Streets in Annville, PA.
Museum is operated by the Lebanon County Historical Society
and features three floors of exhibits and items related to
the history of the area and the Pennsylvania German Culture.
Also at the site, visitors will find the Hauck Research
Archives where researchers will find a repository for
Lebanon County history and genealogy materials.
Located at 924 Cumberland Street in Lebanon, PA.
Union Canal Tunnel Park
Known as the oldest existing transportation
tunnel in the United States, the Union Canal was once the
primary link between Harrisburg, Reading and the Port of
Philadelphia. Visitors today, can take a boat ride through
the Canal Tunnel. The Park is located at 25th and
Union Canal Drive in Lebanon, PA.
Cement Industry Museum
The museum located in Saylor Park, features the
Schoefer vertical kilns built ca 1892. Exhibits trace the
history of the cement industry in Portland, PA. Located
Saylor Park at 245 N. Second Street in Coplay, PA.
Bethlehem Museum & Sites
Devoted to the interpretation of the Historic
Bethlehem Site and the Moravian community located there, the
site features many historical buildings and homes including the
1741 Gemeinhaus, a 1752 Apothecary and herb garden, the
1744/1752 Single Sisters' House and the 1758/81765 Nain-Schober
House. Don't miss the Moravian Museum at 66 W. Church
Street in Bethlehem, PA. Begin your visit with a
Pass Into History. The Ticket allows you to explore
all of the historic sites. The Visitor Center is located
at 505 Main Street in Bethlehem, PA.
Heritage Center and Museum
Focused on the
history of the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania, the museum
contains historic artifacts, documents, photos, and memorabilia
related to the early history of the area. Located at 432
W. Walnut Street in Allentown, PA.
Liberty Bell Museum
Housed in the
historic Zion's Reformed United Church of Christ, is an exact
replica of the Liberty Bell along with Allentown's very own
"liberty bell that was cast in 1769 along with a mural telling
the story of the hiding of the bells. The museum features
exhibits of Revolutionary War and Colonial American items.
Located at 622 W. Hamilton Street in Allentown, PA.
Lock Ridge Park Furnace Museum
the Lock Ridge Iron Furnace, visitors will learn how iron was
made over a century ago. - Located at Lock Ridge Park on
Franklin Street in Alburtis, PA.
Housed inside an
18th century stone farmhouse, visitors can learn about the
cultural heritage of the Lenape (Delaware) and other
Northeastern Woodland Indians. The museum features a large
collection of Indian artifacts and a shop filled with lovely
Native American artistry. Celebrate with them during their
multicultural festival called Artifest in June and the Native
American festival in August. Located at
2825 Fish Hatchery Road in Allentown, PA.
Troxel-Steckel House and Farm Museum
German style stone farmhouse built 1755-56
and featuring a barn full of antique farm implements.
Located at 4229 Reliance Street in the village of Egypt in
Blooming Grove Historical Society Museum
Housed inside an historic Dunkard Meeting House,
the museum may be toured by appointment. Call 570-323-2385
or 570-435-2997. Located at 297 Dunkard Church Road in
Cogan Station, PA.
Little League Museum
The Peter J.
McGovern Museum serves to educate the public about the history,
service, goals and initiatives of Little League Baseball and
Softball. Visit the World of Little League at 525 Route 15
(Montgomery Pike) in South Williamsport, PA.
Muncy Historical Society and Museum of History
Historical Society has allowed the public to join in the
archaeology digs at the Muncy Canal Heritage Park.
Historical artifacts are displayed in the museum. A
research library is housed at the Society. Location is 40
North Main Street in Muncy, PA.
Jersey Shore Historical Society / Samuel Moss House on Facebook
Operated by the
Jersey Shore Historical Society, the Samuel Moss House was built
c. 1846 and serves as a museum historical artifacts an
memorabilia related to Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania. Located
at 200 South Main Street in Jersey Shore, PA.
Operated by the
Lycoming Historical Society, the museum will take visitors on a
walk through time where they will learn about the people who
lived and played in Lycoming County and the surrounding area of
Pennsylvania. Focus is on the collection, preservation and
interpretation of the history and heritage of North Central
Pennsylvania including the Native Americans and the early
settlers who pioneered here.. Located at 858 West Fourth
Street in Williamsport, PA.
Eldred World War II Museum
The museum focuses
on the history and interpretation of the events of WWII.
Located at 201 Main Street in Eldred, PA.
McKean County Historical Society Old Jail Museum
Housed in the Old
Jail behind the McKean County Courthouse, it is Smethport's
oldest public building. It was erected ca 1872 and is
claimed to be haunted by the spirit of a convicted murderer.
Exhibits are focused on the history and genealogy of the early
people of McKean County, PA.
Penn-Brad Oil Museum
Learn about the first million
dollar oil boom and see an authentic wooden oil derrick.
Located at 901 South Avenue in Bradford, PA..
McCoy House Museum
Built in 1841, the
McCoy House was the birthplace of Major General Frank Ross
McCoy, Soldier-Statesman. The house holds memorabilia and
items from the Victorian Period. It is operated by the
Mifflin County Historical Society. Located at 17 North
Main Street in Lewistown, PA.
Antoine Dutot Museum and Gallery
of Delaware Water Gap]
Housed in an historic 1850s school house, the
museum holds local artifacts and an art gallery.
Located at 24 Main Street ub Delaware Water Gap, PA.
one room schoolhouse was built in the 1870s and remained in
operation until 1953. Group tours are available on
request. Contact the Monroe County Historical
Association at 570-421-7703. Located in Hamilton
Cresco Station Museum
The Cresco Railroad Station was first used in
1851 as a freight station and through the 1950s as a
passenger station. The present building was built in
the mid 1880s. Today, the station has been restored
and features exhibits related to the history of the area
including Civil War artifacts, items and materials from
Barrett Township and railroad memorabilia. Located on
Pennsylvania 390 in Barrett, PA.
Driebe Freight Station
County Historical Association collection of art, is housed
in this 1882 freight station of the NY, Susquehanna and
Western Railroad. Located next to McMichael's Park at
537 Ann Street in Stroudsburg, PA.
Valley Living Historical Farm
history farm is on the National Register of Historic Places
and features many historic buildings and gives insight into
the life on a small Pennsylvania farm in the 1800s.
Located at 347 Quiet Valley Road in Stroudsburg, PA..
Stroud Mansion Museum
County Historic Photo Album]
A 12 room mansion
built in 1795 by Jacob Stroud, the founder of Stroudsburg.
Jacob built the home for his son John Stroud. The home
remained in the Stroud family for almost 100 years.
Today the home is a museum operated by the Monroe County
Historical Association. It features 4 floors of
exhibits, documents and artifacts related to the history of
Monroe County and the Stroud family. The Elizabeth D.
Walters Library is also housed in the house and offers
genealogical and historical holdings to help researchers.
Located at 900 Main Street in Stroudsburg, PA.
Wills Mansion & Bicentennial Museum
Built in the 1920s as a summer home for Annie
Wills, the mansion has had many owners but in 1989, the
mansion served as the Coolbaugh Township headquarters before
becoming the Bicentennial Museum. Today, the museum
holds local historic artifacts and items related to the
history of the area. Located at 5590 Municipal Drive
in Tobyhanna, PA.
Montgomery County Historical Society and Museum
features an exhibit gallery, and research library devoted to the
preservation of artifacts, documents and historical photographs
related to the history of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
Located at 1654 DeKalb Street in Norristown, PA.
Spring-Ford Area Historical Society Museum
Housed in the old
William Lewin Plantation House, the museum is operated by the
Spring-Ford Area Historical Society and features tours of the
house and barn. Located at 526 Main Street in Royersford,
The Montgomery House
County History] [Photo
Montgomery House was built in the late 18th century and is today
operated by the Montour County Historical Society as a museum
containing historical artifacts and items related to the history
of the local Montour County area of Pennsylvania. Located
at 1 Bloom Street in Danville, PA.
Jacob Nicholas House
This colonial landmark was once home to Jacob
Nicholas, a wood turner and later owner/captain of a Durham
boat. Owned by the city of Easton, the house is cared from
by the Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society.
The house is open for special events and by appointment.
Located at 5th and Ferry Streets in Easton, PA.
Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania Cultural Center
American Education Flyer]
Housed in the
1753 Bachmann Publik House, visitors to the Cultural Center
will be led by costumed docents on a guided tours of the
artifacts on display. A library holds books, photos and
documents from the Lenape Nation archives for research purposes.
Located on the second floor of the house at 2nd and Northampton
Streets in Easton, PA.
The Mixsell House
This historic house served as the headquarters to
the NCHGS for 80 years before moving to the Signal Museum.
Today, the historical home holds the Research Library and
Reading Room. Located at 4th and Ferry Streets in Easton,
Moravian Historical Society & Museum
Focus is on the
history of the Moravian Church with exhibits and Moravian
artifacts, books, photographs and more. Visitors will
learn about the lifestyle of the Moravian culture and faith.
Located at 214 E. Center Street in Nazareth, PA.
Devoted to the
history of the Northampton County area of Pennsylvania, the
museum is operated by the Northampton County Historical and
Genealogical Society. Featuring interactive exhibits, both
self-guided and docent-guided tours are offered to visitors.
The museum is also home to the Jane S. Moyer Library which holds
documents, manuscripts and materials for those who wish to
research their family history or the local history of the area.
Located at 342 Northampton Street in Easton, PA.
Fort Augusta and Hunter House Museum
Fort Augusta dates back tot he days of the French
and Indian War and the American Revolution. Colonel Samuel
Hunter, the County Lieutenant of Northumberland County, who
resided in the Fort, continued to reside there after the fort
was no longer used as a military installation. Samuel
Hunter's grandson built a house on the property in 1852.
Today, the house and remnants of the fort are home to the
Northumberland County Historical Society. The society
features a museum in the historic Hunter House which includes
items recovered form the archaeological digs from Fort Augusta
and the 1743 Moravian Blacksmith Shop as well as an extensive
exhibit of Native American artifacts. Located at 1150
North Front Street in Sunbury, PA.
Joseph Priestly House
Docent-guided tours of the historic home are
offered and visitors will learn about the property and view
exhibits about the life and times of Joseph Priestly who is well
known for his discovery of Oxygen in 1774. Located at 472
Priestly Avenue in Northumberland, PA.
Little Buffalo State Park
There are four
historical sites inside Little Buffalo State Park which is
located at 1579 State Park Road in Newport, PA.
Shoaff's Mill was
guilt in 1849 and is still operational. Educational
demonstrations of this water wheel operated mill making
cornmeal, cracking corn and grinding apples are performed
Bridge was built in 1890. It has been relocated from
it's original location spanning Little Buffalo Creek about
one mile west of it's present location.
The Blue Ball
Tavern. Opened in 1811, the tavern was an inn for
travelers and important stop for messengers during the War
of 1812. The tavern closed in 1841 and a farmhouse was
built ca 1865 on the original foundation of the tavern.
A museum and library is being operated in this building.
Sherman's Valley Railroad was created in 1890 to move
timber. In use for 44 years, today the old rail beds
are used as hiking trails.
The Liberty Bell
American Swedish Historical Museum
Founded in 1926, the American Swedish
Historical Museum is the oldest Swedish museum in the USA.
Visitors can learn about the history, art, architecture,
music and culture of Swedish-Americans and their impact on
today's America. Located in Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Park in South Philadelphia.
Franklin Museum] [Franklin's Life & History]
Franklin Court is the site of the the house
that was called home by Benjamin Franklin who died there in
1790. Today, though the house is gone, a steel
structure outlining the house which once stood there keeps
guard and features the
Benjamin Franklin Museum. Visitors will learn
about the life, times and work of Benjamin Franklin.
The entrance to the courtyard is located on Market Street
between 3rd and 4th Streets.
The Franklin Institute
Institute had it's beginnings in 1824 to honor Benjamin
Franklin and to advance the usefulness of his inventions.
110 years later, the Franklin Institute Science Museum was
opened to the public as one of the first hands-on science
museums in the United States. Today, the museum is one
of the finest in the country and provides education in
science and technology. Located at 222 North 20th
Street in Philadelphia, PA.
Historical Society operates and maintains the museum which
features historical artifacts, antiques and items related to
the historic German Townships known today as Germantown, Mt.
Airy and Chestnut Hill in NW Philadelphia. The society
also holds a library and archives for research purposes.
Located at 5501 Germantown Avenue in Philadelphia, PA.
Independence National Historical Park
Historical Site of the birth of a nation is has so many
things to do and see. Visitors will learn about how
our great nation began. See the places where the
history of American independence took place. It is
best to begin your visit at the Independence Visitor Center
at 525 Market Street. Visitors can park at the
underground parking garage located on the east side of 6th
Street between Arch and Market Streets in Philadelphia, PA.
National Constitution Center
[Virtual Tour] [Interactive U.S. Constitution]
Discover the history of America from the
time of the our Constitution to present day. Learn how
is. Located at 525 Arch Street in Independence Mall in
Museum - University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology &
The museum was
founded in 1887 and is known as one of the world's greatest
archaeology and anthropology research museums.
Featuring over 1 million objects, the museum is devoted to
illustrating the human story. Exhibits and artifacts
related to the heritage and culture of peoples from around
the world. Located at 3260 South Street in
State Museum of Pennsylvania
The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, it is one of the earliest and
best preserved historic house in the city of Philadelphia.
The 1730 Georgian mansion is located on three acres and
includes a kitchen wing, privy, icehouse, barn and the
Colonial Revival garden. Originally built by James
Logan, the Secretary to William Penn (founder of
Pennsylvania), the home was occupied by the Logan family for
3 generations. It has been preserved and today is
featured through tours, educational programs and special
events. Located at 4601 N. 18th Street in
Pocono Indian Museum
Focused on the
history of the Delaware Indian, the museum features exhibits
of ancient artifacts, weapons and tools used by the Indians
for thousands of years. Visitors will learn about the
peaceful Delaware Indians who were virtually eliminated by
the white man in only a period of 100 years. Located
on route 209 in Bushkill, PA.
Schocopee School House
This little red
school house is over 150 years old. Open on weekends,
holidays and during special events. Located at Water
and Mill Streets, Apple Valley in Milford, PA.
Pennsylvania Lumber Museum
Focusing on the
history of the lumber industry in the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania, the museum features historic logging equipment, a
1912 Shay-geared logging locomotive, and a restored CCC Cabin.
An annual Bark Peelers Convention is held each year with
demonstrations of the sawmill, bark peeling, and other
handcrafts. Located at 5660 US Route 6 West in Galeton,
Orwigburg Historical Society and Museum
Focused on the collection and preservation of the history,
culture and architecture of Orwigsburg and Southern Schuylkill
County, the museum is located at 109 E. Mifflin Street in
Tunnel Coal Mine and Steam Train
Visitors to the
Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine may experience an authentic anthracite
coal mine and ride a narrow gauge steam train of yesteryear.
Located at 2001 Walnut Street in Ashland, PA.
Snyder County Historical Society Museum
The Snyder County
Historical Museum is operated by the Snyder County Historical
Society and features historic artifacts and items related to the
history of Snyder County, Pennsylvania. The museum is
housed inside an 1834 Church. Located at 30 Market Street
in Middleburg, PA.
Cambria City Walking Tour
A virtual tour of Cambria City, focuses on the
historic places and highlights this place of settlement for
of thousands of immigrants between 1853 and 1910.
Frank and Sylvia Pasquerilla Heritage Discovery Center
and Migration History to Johnstown]
Discover life through the eyes of early
immigrants to Johnstown, PA in this unique museum.
Located at 201 Sixth Avenue in Johnstown, PA.
Johnstown Walking Tour
Highlights of historical Johnstown are
Shade-Central City Heritage Days
A tradition started by the Shade-Central City
Historical Society in 1994 to celebrate the heritage of
Shade Township and Central City Borough. It is
continued by the Shade-Central City Heritage Days
Somerset Historical Center
The center is actually a complex of historic
structures which include a
Visitor's Center, the
Adam Miller Farmstead Log House, smokehouse, barn,
Maple Sugar Camp,
Walter's Mill Covered Bridge, and others.
10649 Somerset Pike
Somerset, PA 15501
The Springs Museum features artifacts and items
through exhbiits which depict the home, shop, farm and
trades of the early settlers of the Casselman Valley.
Located at 1711 Springs Road in Springs, PA.
Wagner - Ritter House and Garden
The house was home to 3 generations of
steelworking families in the mills of Johnstown's Cambria
City. Located at 418 Broad Street in the Cambria City
of Johnstown, PA.
Windber Coal Heritage Center
Devoted to the history of the everyday lives of
miners and their families, this interactive museum gives
visitors an in-depth look into the everyday life of the
average coalminer, the evolution of coal mining technology
and the impact of Pennsylvania bituminous coal mining on the
industrial revolution. The museum features lots of
information about the Berwind-White Coal Mining Company.
Located on the corner of 15th and Graham Avenue in Windber,
[Celestia - A 19th Century Religious Community]
Tour Guide (PDF)]
Founded in the 1850s, this religious community
founded by millennialists was abandoned in the 1880s.
Located 1.5 miles west of Laporte on State Route 42.
Sullivan County Historical Society and Museum
Focus of the
Sullivan County Historical Museum is the collection,
preservation and display of historical artifacts and items
related to the history of Sullivan County, Pennsylvania.
Featuring a complex of buildings, historical structures
include The 1850s
Baldwin House, and a historic barn.
Located at 458 Meylert Street in Laporte, PA.
Old Mill Village Museum
Old Mill Village
is a collection of historical structures which have been moved
to one place to create a historical village. Antiques and
historical artifacts are on display and local artisans provide
demonstrations of early arts, crafts and skills once practiced
by early pioneers in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania.
This living history museum is located one mile south of New
Milford, PA on Route 848.
Susquehanna County Historical Society
The society holds
historical documents and items related to the history of
Susquehanna County. Located at 18 Monument Square in
Susquehanna Depot Historical Society and Museum
Operated by the Susquehanna Depot Historical
Society, the museum features local history of the communities in
the northeast corner of Susquehanna County. Located in the
Shops Plaza in Susquehanna Depot Borough.
Dale / Engle / Walker House
The 1793 farmhouse is built of limestone and is
situated on an active 137-acre farm. Visitors will learn
about local history, the underground railroad and slavery.
Open for tours seasonally. Located off Route 192 at the
site of Dale's Ridge Trail in Lewisburg, PA.
Packwood House Museum
Housed in one of the oldest structures in
Lewisburg, the Packwood House was originally built as a 2 story
log cabin between 1796 and 1799. Originally a tavern and
inn serving the travelers on the Susquehanna River, the historic
building evolved into a 3 story hotel known as the American
House with the original log building hiding under clapboard.
The museum features collections of glass, ceramics, paintings,
Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Oriental art and antique
furnishings. Located at 15 N Water Street in Lewisburg,
Charleroi Historic District
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the majority
of buildings in Charleroi were created between 1890 and 1920
with a few before and after. There are nearly 1800
buildings and residences in the district. The Goaziou
Print Shop will be opened in the near future becoming the
first of many mini museums which will be opened in the Charleroi
Historical District. Located at 807 Fallowfield Avenue.
Call for tours: 724-483-2030.
The LeMoyne House
has been recognized as Pennsylvania's first national Historic
Landmark of the Underground Railroad. Built in 1812, by
Dr. John Julius LeMoyne, the house is over 200 years old and was
once used as a stop on the Underground Railroad. Today,
the house is a museum filled with historic artifacts and
dedicated to Dr Lemoyne's memory. Open for tours, the
house is located at 49 East Maiden Street in downtown
Clinton E. Wilder Museum
The museum features exhibits of Native American
artifacts including the Seneca exhibit. The museum is
operated by the
County Historical Society who holds
historical documents and photographs. Visitors may
tour with docent guides or take self tours. Historical
artifacts and antique items are on display including the Joe
DeFrees firearms collection. Located at 51 Erie Avenue in
810 Main Street Museum
The museum is housed inside the former
Delaware & Hudson Canal Company office built in 1860.
The Wayne County Historical Society operates the museum which
features artifacts, photos, items and documents related to the
history of Wayne County, Pennsylvania. Located at 810 Main
Street in Honesdale, PA.
Bethel one-room schoolhouse was built prior to 1872 for
Berlin Township schoolchildren. Fully restored in 1998,
the Wayne County Historical Society organizes public events at
the school and opens the schoolhouse to the public in summer and
fall allowing visitors to visualize what it was like to attend a
one-room schoolhouse in the "olden days".
Calder House Museum
The Calder House is home to the Equinunk
Historical Society how operates a museum featuring exhibits of
American Indian artifacts, textiles, farm implements, household
items along with a collection of research materials.
Located at the intersection of Rt. 191 and Pine Mill Road in
Honesdale Fire Museum
The Honesdale Fire Museum features an 1874 Silsby
steamer no. 483 which is still fully operable along with a 1936
Seagrave triple combination pumper. Displays feature
photographs, helmets, speaking trumpets and other fire
memorabilia. Located inside the Protection Engine Company
No. 3 station at the corner of Park and Main in Honesdale, PA.
J. B. Parks Farm Museum
Visitors to the museum will learn what life was
like on a farm in Wayne County 1870s-1930s. Only open
during the Wayne County Fair and by appointment. Located
on the Wayne County Fair Grounds on Route 191, just one mile
north of Honesdale, PA.
Valley Heritage Museum
Alle-Kiski Valley Historical Society / Heritage Museum on
Housed inside a
beautiful 1931 art deco building, the museum is devoted to the
unique history of the area where glass, steel and aluminum
industries were king. The museum educates visitors about
the A-K river valley towns that grew up in this time.
Special collections include the Tarentum Glass collection, and
an aluminum collection from the world's first aluminum
production plant. Located at 224 East 7th Avenue in
Compass Inn Museum
Compass Inn Museum on Facebook
of Compass Inn]
Originally, a 1799
stagecoach stop, the inn is fully restored and completely
furnished with period pieces. Visitors will take a step
back in time as they are led by docent guides in costume through
the hotel and the reconstructed outbuildings wihch include a
blacksmith shop, cookhouse and barn. Located at 1382 route
30 East in Laughlintown, PA.
Tours of the
historic Fulton House are offered by the Derry Area
Historical Society. Fulton House is located just off of
Route 982 in New Derry, PA.
Vandergrift Museum & Historical Society
Vandergrift Museum is operated by the Vandergrift Historical
Society who's mission is to preserve the history of Vandergrift,
Pennsylvania. Located at 184 Sherman Avenue in
West Overton Village / West Overton Museums
This early 1800s German Mennonite village grew
up around the coke mining industry of the area. Now on the
register of historical places, the museum offers exhibits
related to the history of the area, the coal and coke process
and is the birthplace of Henry Clay Frick. Guided tours of
the Abraham Overholt homestead are part of the museum features.
Located at West Overton on PA 819 between Mount Pleasant and
Wyoming County Historical Society, Museum and Genealogical
Housed inside the
historic Old Harrison Street Primary Building, the Wyoming
County Historical Society Museum and Genealogy Library is
devoted to the collection and preservation of the history of
Wyoming County and the heritage of it's people.
Collections include historical artifacts, memorabilia,
documents, photographs and other items. Located at the
corner of Harrison and Bridge Street in Tunkhannock, PA.
Agricultural & Industrial Museum
Farming and industry has played an important
role in the growth of York County, Pennsylvania. The
museum holds farm implements and machinery, wagon, steam
engines, a 3 story gristmill, a 1930s telephone exchange and
many artifacts related to local industry and manufacturing.
Modes of transportation are also included in the exhibit,
Air, Land & Water: Transporting People & Products
visitors will see a Conestoga wagon, a 1937 Aeronca K
airplane and automobiles manufactured in York. Located
at 217 West Princess Street in York, PA.
Built in 1875, the house was
home to the Horace Bonham family for a century. Today
the house is open for tours. Visitors will learn about
life in an upper-middle class family in the late 19th and
early 20th centuries. Located at 152 E. Market Street
in York, PA.
Center Square Museum
The museum features exhibits of historical
artifacts and memorabilia related to the heritage and
history of Red Lion and the surrounding area. Located
at 10 E. Broadway in Red Lion, PA.
Colonial Complex - Gates House and Plough Tavern
Tavern was built in 1741, serving as a hotel / tavern /
restaurant. The Gates House was built ca 1751 and was
occupied by General Gates in 1778. Also part of the
Colonial Complex is the Bobb Log House with its replication
of family life in the 1830s. Located in downtown York
at 157 West Market Street.
Historic Wrightsville Museum
an 1871 house which was once home to John and Mary Redman,
the house features exhibits about the history of
Wrightsville, Pennsylvania along with information about the
different bridges located in the township. Located at
309 Locust Street in Wrightsville, PA.
Ma & Pa Tran Station Museum
Maryland and Pennsylvania Rail Road Station is operated by
the Red Lion Historical Society as a growing museum.
Call 717-244-2122 for hours. Located in Red Lion, PA.
Police Heritage Museum
The museum features artifacts and historical records of
police officers, their departments and the techniques and
equipment used to combat crime and preserve peace in their
communities. Located at 54 West Market Street in York, PA.
Warehime Myers Mansion
1911-1914, the mansion is much as it was back in those early
years and is open for tours. Located at 305 Baltimore
Street in Hanover, PA.
York County Fire Museum
This museum is
housed inside the historical Royal Fire House and features a
collection of fire-fighting artifacts including horse drawn
fire carriages, vintage fire trucks, firemen uniforms,
historical photos and more. Visitors will find over
200 years of fire-fighting history contained within the
walls of this historical firehouse. Located at 757 W.
Market Street in York, PA.
York County Historical Society and Museum
Society Museum is operated by the York County Heritage Trust
and is housed in a former 1921 auto dealership. The
Historical Society Museum features exhibits of artifacts and
items related to the history of York County, Pennsylvania as
well as a research library with an extensive collection of
documents and photographs for those conducting family
research. Located at 250 East Market Street in York,
Museum Index for Other States