Of Special Historic Interest
Genealogy and History at Ancestry.com
Oregon Disasters and Tragedies
History Books Online
Oregon Historical Documents
Oregon History Project
Oregon State Symbols
Portland Historical Timeline
1851-1991 Panoramic Photos
Place Called Oregon - Photos
Baker Heritage Virtual Exhibit
Coos County 1909-1914 Photos
Gilliam County Historical Photos
Josephine County Early Photos
Junction City Photos
Linn County Historic Photos
Malheur County Historical Photos
Morrow County Old Photos
Multnomah County Old Postcards
Oregon City Photos
Historic Photograph Collections
Oregon Historical Photos
Talent and Southern Oregon
Tillamook County Historical Photos
Washington County Heritage Online
Western Historical Photos
Wheeler County Old Photos
Free Oregon Travel Guides
Search Phone Books
History, to be above evasion
or dispute, must stand on documents, not on opinions..... Lord Acton
START YOUR FAMILY TREE!
We'll Start Searching for you!
Adler House Museum
Italianate house was once occupied by Baker City philanthropist
Leo Adler. Today, guided tours are offered in this home
with original furnishings. Located at 2305 Main Street in
Baker City, OR.
Baker Heritage Museum
Housed inside the
1920 Natatorium, the museum features displays of the rich
history of Baker County and the surrounding region.
Exhibits include mining, timber, ranching, agriculture, Chinese
culture and items from early Baker Citiy life. Formerly
the Oregon Trail Regional Museum, it is located at 2480 Grove
Street in Baker City, Oregon.
Trail Interpretive Center
Flagstaff Hill, from the Interpretive Center, you can view
almost 7 miles of the Oregon trail ruts which still remain
today. From the top of Flagstaff Hill, travelers of the
Oregon Trail could see the distant Oregon land to which they
were making their way. Dioramas, an amphitheater and
living history programs, explain and interpret what it was
like to travel the Oregon Trail to a new homeland.
Sumpter Municipal Museum & Public Library
The museum is
housed in an 1899 Mercantile building. Collections are
focused on the history Sumpter, Oregon and maintains an
archives of Sumpter photographs. Located at 245 S. Mill
Street in Sumpter, OR.
Benton County Historical Museum
Housed in the old
United Brethren College, the history museum contains over
65,000 items depicting the heritage of Benton County, Oregon
along with a large collection of historical photos and
documents. Located at 1101 Main Street in Philomath, OR.
End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center
Operations of the
End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center have ceased as of
1846, the house was home to Dr. John McLoughlin (early
pioneer who established Fort Vancouver in 1825). Dr.
McLouglin lived in the home until his death in 1857.
The house has been a museum since 1910. Visitors
delight in the authentic furnishings, artifacts and early
photos as they are transported back in time to the days of
the "American West". Located at 713 Center Street in
Oregon City, OR.
Milwaukie Historical Museum
The former George
Wise family farmhouse was built in 1865 on Lake Road. This
historic house has been moved and restored by the Milwaukie
Historical Society. Guided tours by appointment.
Call 503-654-2292. Located at 3737 SE Adams Street in
Museum of the Oregon Territory
The museum which
overlooks beautiful Willamette Falls, features exhibits of woven
baskets and artifacts from local tribal communities, the Kaegi
Pharmacy, Oregon City's mills, the Willamette meteorite and
other items and artifacts related to the local history of Oregon
City, Oregon. Visitors will get a spectacular view of the
Willamette Falls from the top floor of the museum and
researchers may want to visit the
research library. Located at
211 Tumwater Drive in Oregon City, OR.
Phillip foster was
one of Oregon's earliest pioneers. His farm and home in
Eagle Creek, Oregon played an important role in the history of
Barlow Road. Phillip Foster helped fund, build and operate
the Barlow Road between 1848 and 1865 guiding thousands of
covered wagons into the Willamette Valley. Today, visitors
are allowed to explore the house, store, barn and outbuildings
where costumed docent guides will share the history of the farm
and area. Located at 29912 SE Highway 211 in Eagle Creek,
Stevens Crawford Heritage House
This 1908 four-square
house was once home to Harley C. Stevens who was one of the
founders of Oregon City. The 3 story home features 15
furnished rooms filled with period furnishings. Located at
603 Sixth Street in Oregon City, OR.
Astoria Downtown Historic District
of Downtown] [History
The Astoria Downtown Historic District is an area
of 38 blocks between 5th and 17th Streets to the west and east
and Exchange Street and River to the south and north.
Shopping, Dining and special events make it a happening place
Clatsop County Heritage Museum
Housed inside the old Astoria City Hall
building, the museum holds the Clatsop County Historical
Society's Archive and it is the local history museum.
Museum exhibits feature artifacts and historical items from
the Chinook and Clatsop Indians, logging and fishing
industries and collections of tools, equipment and
photographs. The Archive features a research library
where visitors are welcome. Located at 714 Exchange
Street in Astoria, OR.
Columbia River Maritime Museum
Devoted to the Pacific Northwest's maritime
history, it has been designated as the "Official" state maritime
museum of Oregon. Featuring 6 galleries, the Great Hall
and the Lightship Columbia, the museum is a great place for
visitors to learn about the maritime history of Oregon.
Located at 1792 Marine Drive in Astoria, OR.
Flavel House Museum
Completed in 1885, this Queen Anne style
house was home to Captain George Flavel (a noted bar pilot
and one of Astoria's most influential citizens) and his
family. This lovely home was occupied by Flavel
descendants until 1934. The home has been restored to
accurately portray the elegance of the Victorian period and
the history of the Flavel family. A carriage house
which is located on the property houses a Visitor Center,
museum store, exhibit hall and the administrative offices of
the Clatsop County Historical Society. Located at the
corner of 8th Street and Duane Street in Astoria, OR.
Fort Clatsop National Monument
This National Historic Site is the place where
the Corps of Discovery camped for the winter of 1805/1806.
A Visitor Center features a replica of Fort Clatsop with an
exhibit hall and gift shop. Films are shown to educate
visitors about the history of Fort Clatsop. Located on
Fort Clatsop Road inside
Lewis and Clark National Historical Park.
Stevens State Park
of Fort Stevens]
History Event Schedule]
to Fort Stevens State Park]
Constructed near the end of the US Civil War,
Fort Stevens was in use during the Civil War and WWII. The
site is being restored and interpreted by Oregon State Parks.
Guided Tours are available during the summer months. There
are many living history events scheduled throughout the year
with many of them being Civil War re-enactments. The Fort
Stevens State Park Military Museum is open 7 days a week during
the summer hours of the State Park. For location, see:
Directions to Fort Stevens State Park
Historical Society Museum and Butterfield Cottage [Online Tour]
The Seaside Museum is operated by the Seaside
Historical Society and strives to collect, preserve and
interpret materials relevant to the history of Seaside, Oregon
and the surrounding area. The museum is housed inside the
former Butterfield Cottage which was once part of "Seaside"
Oregon's first seashore resort. Butterfield Cottage was
built in 1893 on the sea shore but has been moved to the present
location to house the museum. Located at 570 Necanicum
Drive in Seaside, Oregon.
Uppertown Firefighters Museum
Housed inside the former North Pacific Brewery
built in 1896, the museum features antique firefighting
equipment and memorabilia from Clatsop County dating back to
1877. Featured are a horse drawn ladder wagon and a 1912
American LaFrance Fire fire truck. Located on the corner
of 30th Street and Marine Drive in Astoria, OR.
Caples House Museum
The Caples House
was built in 187 for Dr. Charles Green Caples, The house
was willed in 1959 to the OSSDAR for use as a museum.
Today, the Caples House Museum Complex occupies an entire city
block in the historic locality of Columbia City, Oregon where
visitors can learn about the history of the area and tour the
beautiful home and grounds. Available for event rental as
well. Located at 1925 First Street in Columbia City, OR..
Historic Court House Museum / Columbia County Museum
The St. Helens
Courthouse was built in 1906 and holds a historical museum
devoted to the history of St. Helens and Columbia County as well
as a research library filled with historical documents and
photographs. Located at 230 Strand Street in St. Helens,
Vernonia Pioneer Museum
Visitors to the
museum will find historical artifacts, Native American items,
logging information, photographs, tools and other items related
to the life of early settlers in the Nehalem Valley and Columbia
County, Oregon. Located at 511 East Bridge Street in
Bandon"s Historical Museum
Operated by the Bandon Historical Society and
housed inside the old City Hall building, the primary focus of
the museum is on the history and heritage of Bandon, Oregon.
Located on the corner of Fillmore Avenue and Highway 101 in
Historical and Maritime Museum
Operated by the Coos County Historical Society,
the primary theme is "Tidewater Highways" and focus is
on the history and heritage of Coos County, Oregon. Located at 1220
Sherman Avenue in North Bend, OR near Simpson Park and the
Visitor Information Center.
A. R. Bowman Memorial Museum
Home to the Crook
County Genealogical Society, the Bowman Museum is focused on the
heritage and local history of Crook County, Oregon.
Featuring area tours, historical and genealogical research
assistance, and historical artifacts, the museum is open to the
public. Located at 246 North Main Street in Pineville, OR.
The museum provides exhibits of petro glyphs,
Native American artifacts, CCC exhibits, and the history of of
fishing and mining by early settlers of the area. Located
at 34470 Agness-Illahe Road in Agness, OR.
Cape Blanco Lighthouse
The Bureau of Land
Management offers lighthouse tours seasonally. Visitors
may climb the spiral stairway to the top of the Cape Blanco
Lights Station. Enjoy the spectacular view of the Oregon
coastline and see the lens of the lighthouse. Built in
1870, the lighthouse holds the distinction of being the oldest
continually operating lighthouse in Oregon. Located on Cape
Blanco Road just south of Sixes, OR.
Housed inside the
historic 1857 Blake House, the museum is devoted to sharing the
story of the Chetco River and her people. The Blake House
is considered to be the oldest dwelling in the Chetco Valley and
once served as a stagecoach stop and trading post. Located
at 158461 Museum Road in Harbor, OR.
The primary focus
of the Curry Historical Museum is on the history of Curry
County, Oregon but also the impact of neighboring counties and
the State of Oregon as they relate to Curry County.
Operated by the Curry Historical Society, the museum is located
at 29419 Ellensburg in Gold Beach, OR.
Built in 1898, the
Victorian farmhouse built for early pioneer ranchers Patrick and
Jane Hughes. The house has been restored and visitors may tour
the historic house built on the dairy ranch. Located at
91814 Cape Blanco Road in Sixes, OR.
Port Orford Lifeboat Station
The Museum and
Interpretive Center tells the story of the need for Lifeboat
Stations on the Oregon Coast to provide rescue missions and
watch for distress signals along the coastline. Located at
Port Orford Heads State Park.
Deschutes Historical Museum
The museum features relics and historical items
related to the history of Deschutes County and the people who
have called it home. From Native Americans to the loggers,
railroad barons and pioneer settlers. visitors can learn about
all of them. A research library is on the premises as
well. Located at 129 NW Idaho Avenue in Bend, OR.
High Desert Museum
The museum is dedicated to the understanding of
the High Desert's wildlife, culture, art and natural resources.
Living history exhibits centered around the Robbins homestead,
depict what it was like to travel the Oregon Trail and settle a
homestead in the 19th century. Located at 59800 S. Highway
97 in Bend, OR.
Douglas County Museum of History and Natural History
The Douglas County
Museum features a wide variety of historical artifacts and
exhibits but also boasts the largest collection of Oregon
natural history. The museum is devoted to the history of
not only Douglas County but the great state of Oregon.
Located at 123 Museum Drive in Roseburg, OR.
Floed Lane House
Built about 1860,
the historic house has been headquarters of the Douglas County
Historical Society since 1959. The house holds many
historic artifacts related to the history of Douglas County,
Oregon. Built about 1860, the house was Located at 544 S.
E. Douglas Avenue in Roseburg, OR.
Umpqua River Lighthouse
The US Coast Guard
station built in 1939 is home to the museum of the Umpqua River
Lighthouse. Tours of the lighthouse are given daily from
May through October. The museum features hundreds of
documents, photographs and historical artifacts related to the
history of the Umpqua River Lighthouse. Located at 1020
Lighthouse Road in Winchester Bay, OR.
Gilliam County Historical Museum
The Gilliam County
Historical Society operates a complex of museums devoted to the
history of Gilliam County, Oregon. Featuring historic
artifacts and documents, the Depot Museum Complex is located on
Highway 19 at Burns Park in Condon, OR.
Historical Buildings in Gilliam County, OR
Housed inside the
1910 Prairie City Depot, the DeWitt Museum The train depot has
been beautifully restored and the museum collections
reflect what life was like in Grant County, Oregon at the turn
of the century along with railroad artifacts and photographs.
Located inside Depot Park at Main and Bridge Street in Prairie
County Historical Museum
Focus is on the
history of the pioneers who first to came to the Grant County
area of Oregon. Exhibits related to the Native Americans,
the miners early pioneer settlers and the Chinese who all played
a part in making Grant County what it is today. Located at
101 South Canyon City Boulevard in Canyon City, OR.
Kam Wah Chung State Heritage Site
The museum is
housed inside an 1870s building in the town of John Day.
The building served as a medical clinic, general store,
community center and religious center for the Chinese community
in Oregon. Today, the site features a museum and an
interpretive center. Located at 519 W. Main Street in John
Harney County Historical Museum
County Historical Museum on Facebook]
The museum features
exhibits and artifacts related to the history of the Harney
County region of Oregon along with an archaeological exhibit, an
exhibit about the pioneer rancher and cattle baron Pete French,
and the Edward Hines Lumber Company display. Located in
the high desert of Eastern Oregon at 18 West D Street in Burns,
Hood River County
Hood River County History Museum
historical artifacts collected by the Hood River County
Historical Society and The Pioneer Society who began the
collection in 1907, the museum is open to the public. An
archives of historical documents are open to researchers.
Located at 300 E. Port Marina Drive in Hood River, OR.
Butte Creek Mill and Country Store
Butte Creek Mill
is the only grist mill in Oregon still grinding flour.
Visitors can purchase products which are ground in the historic
mill the same way it was ground in 1872. Located at 420
Royal Avenue N. in Eagle Point, OR.
Crater Lake National Park
Eagle Point Museum
features historical artifacts and exhibits related to the
history of Eagle Point, OR. The mill has been in
operation since 1872 and still offers flours, baking mixes
and other culinary delights. Located next to
Butte Creek Mill
at 301 N. Royal Avenue in Eagle Point, OR 94524.
Gold Hill House of Mystery (The Oregon Vortex)
The Oregon Vortex is a strange place where the
improbable is the commonplace and everyday physical facts are
reversed. It is an area of naturally occurring visual and
perceptual phenomena which will amaze visitors. The Gold
Hill House was built in 1904 by the Old Grey Eagle Mining
Company as an assay office and tool shed. Closed down in
1911, the house slid off it's foundation a few years later and
today is known as the House of Mystery. Located at 4303 Sardine
Creek Left Fork Road in Gold Hill, OR.
[History & Photos]
The community of Jacksonville has been
designated at a National Historic Landmark Community.
The picturesque old west town features over 90 original
buildings dating back to the 1850s! Many have been
authentically restored and the result is a national treasure
E. W. Smith and Bill Edmondson Museum
Housed inside the Dr. E. W. Smith home, the
museum highlights the lives of E. W. Smith, photographer and
Bill Edmondson who was known for wood carving. Located at
432 Pine Street in Butte Falls, OR.
Museum at Warm Springs
The museum is
focused on the history and culture of the Confederated Tribes
of Warm Springs. Located in Warm Springs, OR.
Applegate Trail Interpretive Center
Trail Interpretive Center offers visitors a glimpse into the
past through the stories of pioneer settlers. Learn about
the discovery of gold, the impact of the stageline and the
building of the railroad. Located at 500 Sunny Valley Loop
in Sunny Valley, OR.
Schmidt House Museum
The Schmidt house was
built in 1901 for Claus Schmidt. The house remains
virtually unchanged. Today, the house is operated by the
Josephine County Historical Society and features many original
furnishings. Exhibits inside the house tell the story of
the Schmidt family as well as the growth of the community in
Grants Pass. Located at 512 SW Fifth Street in Grants
Klamath County Museum [Research]
The Klamath County Museum in downtown Klamath
Falls serves as a leading historical museum for the Upper
Klamath Basin. In addition to exhibits, the museum housed in a
1935 National Guard armory contains hundreds of volumes of local
records, including military discharges, tax records, court
records and more. Located at 1451 Main Street in Klamath
Rock Valley Historical Homestead Museum
This historic museum was put together by the
Fort Rock Valley Historical Society. Several historical
buildings comprise the Homestead Village. Included are
St. Rose's Church, the Mekenmair Cabin, Webster Cabin, Dr.
Thom's Office, the Bodenhiemer House, the Belletable House,
Sunset School, the Fort Stratton House, a wind mill and even a
Bohemia Gold Mining Museum
Focus is on the mining history of the Bohemia
Mining District. Collections of photographs, tools, ore
samples and other artifacts related to the area's gold mining
history. Located at 737 East Main Street in Cottage Grove,
Cottage Grove Museum
The museum is focused on the history of Cottage
Grove, Oregon and surrounding area. Located at the corner
of Birch and H Street in Cottage Grove, OR.
Creswell Historical Museum
Housed inside the former Methodist-Episcopal
Church built in 1889, the Creswell Museum features exhibits
related to the history and heritage of Creswell, Oregon.
The museum is operated by the Creswell Area Historical Society.
Located at Fifth and Oregon Avenue in Creswell, OR.
Historic Old Town Florence [Virtual
This lovely Oregon seacoast town is right on
the waterfront and offers antique ships, wine tasting,
restaurants, art galleries and more in an historic setting.
Located off Highway 101 in Florence, OR.
Junction City Historical Walking Tour
Lane County Historical Museum
Created to preserve, display and interpret
the rich history of Lane County, the museum features
historical artifacts and library materials focused on Lane
County's heritage. Located at 740 W. 13th Avenue in
The Lee House Museum
The former home to Dr. Norman L. Lee was built in
1872 and is today used as a museum by the Junction City
Historical Society. Historical artifacts and exhibits tell
the story of the early days in Lane County. Located at
Holly & 6th Avenue in Junction City, OR.
Oakridge Pioneer Museum
Visitors Guide] PDF File
The Oakridge Museum features historical artifacts
and other items related to the history of Oakridge, Oregon.
Located at 76433 Pine Street in Oakridge, OR.
The Pitney House Museum
Housed inside the 1871 home of Mary Pitney, is a
collection of Danish historical artifacts from Junction City's
first settlers. Junction City's first jailhouse has been
moved to the property next to the house as well. Located
at Holly & 4th Street in Junction City, OR.
McMurphey Johnson House
Built in 1888, the Shelton McMurphey Johnson
House is open to the public for tours. Located at 303
Willamette Street in Eugene, OR.
Siuslaw Pioneer Museum
artifacts, historical photos and documents related to the
history of Florence and the Lower Siuslaw Region.
Location is 278 Maple Street in Florence, OR.
Springfield Museum on Facebook
Housed in the
1911 Oregon Power Company transformer station, the museum
features exhibits and collections devoted to the Springfield
area history. Located at 590 Main Street in downtown
University of Oregon Museum of Natural and
Take a step back
into the past, learn about the present and contemplate the
future in the Museum of Natural and Cultural History.
Visitors will experience 15,000 years of Northwest Cultural
history and 200 million years of geology through displays
and exhibits. The museum holds one of Oregon's most
significant collections of Native American artifacts as well
as many items discovered by geologist Dr. Thomas Condon.
Located at 1680 E. 15th Avenue in Eugene, OR.
Morse Historical Park
The park is
preserving the Wayne Morse Family Farm. Located at 595
Crest Drive in Eugene, OR.
North Lincoln County Historical Museum
Highlights of Lincoln County]
Housed in the 1941
Taft-Nelscott-Delake Fire Hall, the museum is operated by the
North Lincoln County Pioneer and Historical Assn. The
museum features exhibits related to the history of the North
Lincoln County area . The facility includes a research
library. Located at 4907 SW Highway 101 in Lincoln City,
Oregon Coast History Center
Dedicated to preserving the history of the
Central Oregon Coast, you will find the Log Cabin Museum and
Burrows House. Inside the Burrows House, along with
the museum, you will find a
545 SW 9th St.,
Newport, Oregon 97365.
Pacific Maritime & Heritage Center
Newport's historic Bayfront at 333 SE Bay Blvd in Newport, OR.
Housed in the
former 1887 S. E. Young Company building, the museum features
exhibits related to the history of Albany, Oregon and the
surrounding area. A research library is also located on
the premises. Located at 136 Lyon Street S. in Albany, OR.
Canyon Life Museum
Focused on the
history of the North Santiam Canyon, the Canyon Life Museum
features exhibits and artifacts related tot he people who have
called the Canyon home. Exhibits include logging, mining,
mill, farming and Railroad items. Located at 143 Wall
Street in Mill City, OR.
Harrisburg Area Museum
Housed in a
Victorian home filled with items and memorabilia from days gone
by The Harrisburg Area Museum is focused on the history of
Harrisburg, Oregon. Located at 490 Smith Street in
Linn County Historical Museum
Linn County Historical Museum on Facebook
The Linn County
Historical Museum is housed inside the Brownsville railroad
depot. Historical artifacts, photographs and documents
related to the history of Linn County are held in the
collection. Located at 101 Park Avenue in Brownsville, OR.
House on Facebook]
by Walter and Thomas Monteith who travelled the Oregon Trail in
1847, the house is listed on the National Register of Historic
Places. This 1849 house is reputed to be the most
authentically restored home from the pioneer era in the state of
Oregon. Today the Monteith House is operated by the
Monteith Historical Society who offers tours to visitors.
Located at 518 Second Avenue, SW in Albany, OR.
The Moyer House
Built in 1881 by
John Moyer, this beautiful Italianate Villa style home is a
museum and can be toured. Located at 101 Park Avenue in
Scio Historical Society Depot Museum on Facebook
Housed inside the
old West Scio Train Depot, the museum features historical items,
documents and records related to the history fo Scio and the
surrounding communities including Crabtree, Shelburn, Jordan,
and Thomas. Located at 39004 NE First in Scio, OR.
Visitors will find
Shedd family history and memorabilia related to the Shedd
community, the Civil War and The Oregon Trail. Located at
29990 First St. E in Shedd, OR.
Four Rivers Cultural Center and Museum
The museum is
focused on the early settlement of the SW Idaho and Eastern
Oregon area. Early settlers included Northern Paiutes,
Hispanics, Basques, Japanese Americans and Euro-Americans.
Located at 676 SW 5th Avenue in Ontario, OR.
Marion County Historical Society and Museum
The museum and
education center are housed in the former Thomas Kay Woolen
Mill Retail Store. The primary focus is on the
heritage of the Marion County area of Oregon. A
research library is features holdings of historical
documents, maps, city directories, books and photographs.
Located at 260 12th Street SE in Salem, OR.
Willamette Heritage Museum at the Mill
Heritage Center at the Mill is a unification between the former
Mission Mill Museum and the Marion County Historical Society.
The complex features the 1841 Jason Lee house, the 1841
Methodist Parsonage, the 1847 John Boon Home, 1858 Pleasant
Grove Church and the 1896 Thomas Kay Woolen Mill. Visitors
will enjoy living history activities, exhibits and events.
A research library and archives has been established at the
Willamette Heritage Center as well. Located at 1313 Mill
Street SE in Salem, OR.
Old Aurora Colony Museum
Focus of the museum
is on the history and crafts of the Colony families. The
buildings and artifacts have been passed down for generations.
Hands-on activities and craft demonstrations give visitors the
opportunity to experience farm life in the late 1800s.
Located at 15018 Second Street NE in Aurora, OR.
Morrow County Museum
County Agriculture Museum]
The Morrow County
Museum features an extensive collection of historical artifacts
related to the history of Morrow County, Oregon including
pioneer, homesteading and agricultural items. Exhibits
about the rural history in the Northwest are on display.
The collection includes historical photographs, Native American
objects and rural history. Located in Heppner, OR.
Crown Point and Vista House
Tour and Photographs]
was built on Crown Point in 1916 at the same time as Highway
30 (The Columbia River Gorge Highway). Vista House was
built to be a place for visitors to stop for refreshment and
enjoy the Columbia Gorge. Today, the historic site
houses a museum, gift shop and interpretive display of
historic and geologic points of interest in the Columbia
Gresham Historical Museum
Focused on the
preservation of the history of Gresham and the surrounding
area, it is operated by the Gresham Historical Society.
Located in historic downtown Gresham, OR at 410 North Main.
Harlow House Museum
Built in 1900
on Harlow Farm by Fred E. Harlow, son of Captain John
Harlow, Troutdale's founder, the home was occupied by
several pioneer families of Troutdale including the Harlow
and Evans families. Today it is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places and houses a museum. The
grounds are part of the Troutdale City Park System.
Located at 726 E. Historic Columbia River Highway.
enjoy the breathtaking site of the Multnomah Falls.
Known as the second tallest year-round waterfall in the
United States, it drops 620 feet from Larch Mountain.
It is located just 20 minutes east of Troutdale and is found
along the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Highway.
Rail Depot Museum
Built in 1907, the
Union Pacific Railroad Depot is part of Troutdale's Depot Park
and operated as a museum. Located at 473 E. Historic
Columbia River Highway in Troutdale, OR.
Troutdale Historical Society Barn Museum
The Barn Museum was
constructed by the members of the Troutdale Historical Society
and features historical artifacts, photos, and antique farm
equipment. Located at 732 E. Historic Columbia River
Highway in Troutdale, OR.
Operated by the
Polk County Historical Society, the Brunk House was built in
1861. The 2 story farm home is filled with period
furnishings and antiques. Outside, visitors will find a
historic garden and outbuildings. Located at 5745 Highway
22 in Salem, OR.
Independence Heritage Museum
Housed in the
former 1888 Baptist Church Exhibits include a covered wagon,
old schoolroom, tools, photos, Native American items and
other historical artifacts related to the history of
Independence and the surrounding area. Located at 112
S. 3rd Street in Independence, OR.
Jensen Arctic Museum
Focused on the
arctic culture, the museum features exhibits of art, tools,
apparel and information about indigenous arctic people.
Located at Western Oregon University at 590 W. Church Street in
Polk County Museum
The Polk County
Museum features exhibits and historical artifacts related to the
heritage and history of Polk County, Oregon. Located on
the Polk County Fairgrounds at 520 S. Pacific Highway West in
Sherman County Historical Museum
15,000 artifacts used in Native American families, Oregon Trail
migration, rural households, churches, schools, agriculture,
ranching and military units, the museum is devoted to the
collection, preservation and exhibition of items related to the
history of the Sherman County are of Oregon. Located at
200 Dewey Street in Moro, Oregon.
History Timeline of Tillamook County
Garibaldi Museum of Maritime History
Captain Robert Gray]
Museum was chartered to preserve the maritime history of the
Pacific Northwest. Focus is on Captain Gray and his
historical vessels, the Lady Washington and the Columbia
Rediviva and their role in the trade with Native Americans of
the Pacific Northwest. Located at 112 Garibaldi Avenue in
Tillamook County Pioneer Museum
The museum holds over
35,000 historical objects plus 10,000 photographs related to the
history and heritage of the north coast of Oregon. Focus
is on the preservation and interpretation of the cultural
heritage of North Oregon's coast. The museum has a
library collection of over 3000 volumes and many of the
materials are devoted to genealogy. Located at 2106 Second
Street in Tillamook, OR.
Family Genealogy] [Milton - Freewater History]
in 1892 by William Samuel Frazier, the house was occupied by
members of the Frazier family for almost a century.
Sitting on 6 acres, the house was willed to the Milton-Freewater
Area Foundation by descendants of the family and holds a
collection of antique furnishings and historical household items
most which are original to the home. Other buildings on
the property include a 1918 barn, a carriage house and others
which are an integral part of a turn-of-the-century working
farm. The house and grounds are available for rental.
Located at 1403 Chestnut Street in Milton-Freewater, OR.
Heritage Station Museum
Operated by the
Umatilla County Historical Society, the museum features
exhibits related to the history of Umatilla County, Oregon
with artifacts and items used by Indian tribes, explorers,
trappers and early pioneers. Located at 108 SW Frazier
in downtown Pendleton, OR.
museum is focused on the history of Union County, Oregon and
features exhibits about the Homestead Act of 1862, Cowboys,
agriculture, timber and holds historical artifacts and objects
relevant to the county's past. Located at 333 South Main
Street in Union, OR.
Columbia Gorge Discovery Center
Located at 5000
Discovery Drive in The Dalles, OR.
Dufur Historical Museum & Threshing Bee
The Dufur Historical Society operates a small
museum focused on the history of Dufur, Oregon. The
Threshing Bee is a wheat harvest done using old time machinery
and draft horses as they would have done at the turn of the 20th
century. The society holds an annual Threshing Bee and
other events to benefit the museum and society. Located at 93 N. Main
Street in Dufur, OR.
Dalles Museum and Anderson Homestead
Dalles Museum on Facebook]
Housed inside the historic Fort Dalles Surgeon's
Quarters which is the only remaining structure of the Fort.
The museum features pioneer and military artifacts, antique
wagons and other items related to the history to the military
fort which was built during the 1800s. A tour of the
Anderson Homestead is included with your paid admission to the
Fort Dalles Museum. The Swedish log homestead was built in
1895. Located at 500 West 15th Street in The Dalles,
The Museum at Warm Springs
and Events] [History]
The museum holds one of the most exquisite collections of
Plateau Native American artifacts in North America. On
summer weekends, the Tribal Members perform demonstrations of
their arts, history and culture for visitors. The Museum
at Warm Springs strives to preserve the traditions and artifacts
of this nation's indigenous peoples. Located at 2189
Highway 26 in Warm Springs, OR.
Seufert Visitor Center at The Dalles Dam
Located on Highway 197 in The Dalles, OR.
Wasco County Historical Museum
/ Columbia Gorge Discovery Center
Focus is on the
natural and cultural treasures of the Columbia Gorge and Wasco
County. Collections include American Indian baskets and
artifacts, a photo archives, local genealogical files and
exhibits related to the volcanic upheaval and raging floods
which created the Gorge. Located at 5000 Discovery Drive
in The Dalles, OR.
Wasco County Historical Society and the Rorick House
The Moody / Rorick
House was built in 1850 and is home to the Wasco County
Historical Society who maintains the home and strives to
collect, preserve and disseminate the history of Wasco County,
Oregon. Located at 300 West 13th Street in The Dalles, OR.
Washington County Museum
County Heritage Online]
Focused on the history of Washington County, the museum features
exhibits and historical artifacts related to the rich heritage
of the Washington County area of Oregon. Located at 120 E.
Main Street in Hillsboro, OR. The Museum also operates
The Robert L. Benson Research Library and Archives at
Portland Community College - Rock Creek Campus at 17667 NW
Springville Road in Portland, OR.
Hoover - Minthorn Museum House
Known as the first residence erected in what
is now Newburg, Oregon, this Italianate style house was
built by Jesse Edwards in 1881 and was home to Herbert
Hoover between 1885 and 1889. Today the house is owned
and operated by The National Society of The Colonial Dames
of America in the State of Oregon. Furnishings inside
the home range from President Hoover's bedroom set he used
as a boy to historical items and antiques found in the
Newberg area. Located at 115 S. River Street in
Yamhill County Historical Museum
The museum is operated by the
Yamhill County Historical Society and features two
The Poling Memorial Church was built in 1892 and
served as the Evangelical Church of Lafayette until 1870.
Today it holds historical artifacts and antiques related to
the history of Yamhill County, Oregon.
Miller Log Cabin Museum was built in memory of the
John G. Baker family and other early pioneers of Yamhill
County. The cabin houses the
Ruth Stoller Research Library downstairs which is filled
with genealogical materials. Upstairs, visitors will
find quilts, Native American items, and antique furnishings.
The museum is
located at 605 Market Street in Lafayette, OR.
Yamhill Valley Heritage Center
The Museum complex features a saw mill,
blacksmith shop, and a large exhibit of antique farm vehicles.
Located on Highway 18 at Durham Lane just south of McMinnville,
Museum Index for Other States
Oregon Census Records