Of Special Historic Interest
Genealogy & History at Ancestry
Ohio History Books Online
Ohio State Symbols
Historical Ohio Photos Online
1851-1991 Panoramic Photos
Ashland County Historic Photos
Ashland County Pictures
Athens County Photos
Athens Photos at Library of Congress
Chilicothe in Story and Song
Clinton County Photos & Postcards
Defiance County Historical Postcards
Defiance Co. Photos of Yesterday
Delaware County Historical Images
Erie County Penny Postcards
Fulton County Photos of the Past
Gallia County Photo Album
Cincinnati Memory Project
Guernsey County Photos of Yesteryear
Hancock County Photos
Harrison County Photographs
Highland County Historical
Images, Maps and Videos of Dayton
Jefferson County Old Postcards
Logan County Digital Collection
Logan County Postcards
Madison County Historical Photos
Madison County Photo Album
Meigs County Photo Gallery
Morrow County Historical Photos
Noble County Historical Photo Album
North Canton Historic Photos
Ohio Penny Postcards
Ohio Pix (Historic Photos)
Ottawa County Historic Photos
Paulding County Historic Photos
Perry County Photo Gallery
Perry County Postcards of the Past
Pickerington / Violet Twp Photos
Richland County Historic Places
Ross County Historic Postcards
Digital Shoebox Project
Shelby County Historic Pictures
Stark County Historical Photos
Swanton Tornado of 1920 Photos
Toledo Picture Postcards
Union County Pictures & Postcards
Warren County Historic Photos
Washington County Old Postcards
Wauseon Photos of the Past
Willard, OH Historical Pictures
Williams County Old Photos
Willoughby Historic Photos
Wyandot County Old Photos
Free Ohio Travel Guide
Search Phone Books
History, to be above evasion
or dispute, must stand on documents, not on opinions..... Lord Acton
START YOUR FAMILY TREE!
We'll Start Searching for you!
Manchester Historical Society Museum on Facebook
The Manchester Historical Society is devoted to
the collection and preservation of the history of Manchester,
Ohio. The society currently maintains a museum which is
open for special events and by appointment. Located at 307
Pike Street in Manchester, OH.
The largest known
serpent effigy in the world, Serpent Mound was built by
prehistoric indigenous cultures. The mound has been the
object of much study. The site is listed in National
Geographic's Great Wonders of the Ancient World. There is
a small museum at the site. Located at 3850 State Route 73 in
Allen County Museum
Although the emphasis is on the local history of
Allen County, Ohio, the museum features exhibits of natural
history, science, art and even a
Children's Discovery Center. Located at 620 W. Market Street in
Ashland County Historical Homes
Cleo Redd Fisher Museum
Redd Fisher Museum on Facebook]
Operated by the
Mohican Historical Society, the museum holds special collections
and artifacts related to the local history of Loudonville, Ohio
and the surrounding Mohican area. Built on the property
once owned by Mrs. Fisher, and filled with many collections
donated from her estate, the museum features many antiques. The
Society also provides support with local history and genealogy
research. Located at 203 E. Main Street in Loudonville, OH.
Ashtabula County Museums
Historical Society operates the following museums related to the
history of the county and surrounding area.
Ashtabula Maritime and Surface Transportation Museum
Housed inside the
1871/1898 home of the Ashtabula light keepers and Coast Guard
Chief, the museum has 7 rooms of displays, models and artifacts.
Located at 1071 Walnut Blvd. in Ashtabula, OH.
Blakeslee Log Cabin
Built ca 1810, the
log house is located at 441 Seven Hills Road in Ashtabula, OH.
Jennie Munger Gregory Memorial Museum is an 1823
farmhouse on Lake Erie's shore. The house is furnished
in Victorian style and exhibits the history of Ashtabula
County. Housed in the museum is the home of the
Ashtabula Historical Society. Researchers can use the
research library by appointment. Located at 5682 Lake Road,
in Geneva on the Lake,
Joshua R. Giddings Law Office Museum
The original 1823 law office of Joshua R.
Giddings, member of the Whig Party.
108 North Chestnut Street
Jefferson, OH 44047
Athens County Historical Society and Museum
collection contains over 40,000 historical items related to
the history of the Athens County area and her people.
There is a library of local genealogies and histories at the
site. Located at 65 N. Court St. in Athens, OH.
Murray City, Ohio Train Depot and Coal Mining Museum
Murray City, Ohio Train Depot and Coal Mining Museum on
Built between 1890 and 1900 the Murray City
Train Depot was the way to travel for coal miners and other
visitors to the coal mine camp town of Murray City.
The train depot ahs been lovingly restored and features a
glimpse into the yesteryear of Murray City. Located in
Murray City, OH.
Museum of America
With over 300
bicycles on display, visitors will view antique bicycles and
learn about the history and evolution of bicycles in America.
Located at 7 W. Monroe Street in New Bremen, OH.
Daniel F. Mooney Museum
Built in 1876, the
historical house was home to Major Charles Hipp, a former Civil
War officer. Later occupied by Daniel and Carrie, Mooney,
and bequeathed to the Auglaize County Historical Society by Mrs.
Mooney, the museum features antique furnishings and items
related to the history of Auglaize County and her pioneer
fathers. Located at 223 S. Main Street in St. Mary's OH.
The Wapakoneta Museum
Operated by the
Auglaize County Historical Society, the museum is housed inside
The First Presbyterian Church which was constructed 1861-1862.
The Church is filled with historic artifacts from Wapakoneta and
Auglaize County. Located at 206 West Main Street in
Belmont County Victorian Mansion Museum
Belmont County Victorian Mansion Museum on Facebook
style mansion was built from 1888-1893. The beautiful
mansion is a museum today featuring 26 rooms of historical
elegance and historical items. Located at 532 North
Chestnut Street in Barnesville, OH.
Parker Museum & Historical Society
John P. Parker was
a former slave and when he became a freedman, he settled in
Ripley, Ohio where he founded the Phoenix Foundry. The
John P. Parker Historical Society was founded to recognize,
commemorate and preserve the history and legacy of John P.
Parker and his family. Open seasonally for tours or
by appointment. Call 937-392-4188 for an appointment.
Located at 300 N. Front Street in Ripley, OH.
The Rankin House
Built in 1828
overlooking the Ohio River, the Rankin House was once an
Underground Railroad Station. Today, the house is a museum
and tours are offered. The home still contains many
original Rankin family items and the house itself features
original woodwork and furnishings. Located at 6152 Rankin
Road in Ripley, OH.
Ulysses S. Grant's Boyhood Home
Since 1982, people have been able to visit and
tour the boyhood home of our 18th U.S. President, Ulysses S.
Grant. Located at 219 East Grant Avenue in Georgetown, OH.
Butler County Historical Society and Museum
Heritage of Butler County, Ohio]
the grand old 1861 Benninghofen House, the museum features
period furnishings and artworks. Visitors are able to
view the 19th century lifestyle of prosperous industrialist
John W. Benninghofen. Located at 327 N. Second Street
in Hamilton, OH.
Soldiers, Sailors & Pioneer Monument
County War Veterans Search]
Built to honor
all persons who first settled Butler County and in honor of
the memory of all soldiers and sailors of Butler County, the
monument was built on the site of
Fort Hamilton which was built in 1791. This
beautiful 3 story monument holds inside it's walls -
beautiful marble tablets with name of Butler County pioneers
and veterans of American Wars from the Revolutionary War
through the Spanish American War. Located at 1 South
Monument Avenue in downtown Hamilton, OH.
Algonquin Mill Complex
The Mill Complex
features a collection of historical structures including several
log cabins which have been moved to the location, a one-room
school, a stage coach inn, an old farmhouse and farm museum
along with the 1826 mill and several other buildings. The
Algonquin Mill Fall Festival is held annually at the site.
The Algonquin Mill Complex is located at 234 Autumn Road SW in
Champaign County History Timeline
The Champaign County Historical Society Museum
The museum is
operated by the Champaign County Historical Society and is
focused on the collection, preservation and display of
artifacts, historical documents and other items related to the
rich heritage of Champaign County, Ohio. Located at 809
East Lawn Avenue in Urbana, OH.
||Heritage Center of Clark County
Located inside the
1890 Clark County City Hall and Marketplace, the Clark County
Heritage Center boasts beautiful gallery exhibits, an
archive and research library for researchers, , an art
gallery, meeting facilities and more. A few of the
museum's major exhibits include; The National Road Gallery which
traces the development of America's first super road; The
Opening of Ohio which explores the early settlement of Ohio;
Agriculture and History; and a military exhibit honoring Clark
County War Veterans. Docent guided tours are currently
being offered. Located at 117 South Fountain Avenue in
Fountain Square which is in the middle of downtown Springfield,
Chilo Loch 34 Park
The park features the Chilo Lock 34 Visitor
Center and Museum which as 3 floors of exhibits and interactive
displays focused on the history of the Ohio River, locks and
dams. The park also provides a 1.5 acre wetland attracting
wildlife. Located next to the
Crooked Run Nature Preserve at 521 County Park Road in Chilo,
Promont House Museum
Built in 1865, the
former home of John M. Pattison (Ohio's 43rd Governor) is
operated as a museum by the Greater Milford Area Historical
Society. The Victorian mansion is filled with period
furnishings and features changing exhibits, a
reference library and gift shop. Located at 906 Main
Street in Milford, OH.
Ross-Gowdy House Museum
Built ca 1853,
the Gowdy House is located at 125 George Street in the
Susanna Historic District of New Richmond, OH. Open
for tours seasonally. Located on George Street in the
Susanna Historic District of New Richmond, OH.
Tri-State Warbird Museum
Aircraft on Exhibit]
aviation museum is dedicated to the remembrance of those who
fought for our freedom and honoring those who made the ultimate
sacrifice. The museum features antique aircraft used by
the military in war times along with historic artifacts and
items related to the history of the aircraft on exhibit in the
museum. Located at 4021 Borman Drive in Batavia, OH.
Ulysses S. Grant's Birthplace
This modest home
was the birthplace to the 18th President of the United States
and a Union General Ulysses S. Grant. The home is complete
with period furnishings and memorabilia. Located at U.S.
52 and Rt. 232 in Point Pleasant, OH.
Clinton County History Center
Rombach Place Museum, a genealogy and history research library,
the manuscript and photographic archive and David's Conference
Center, the property is operated by the Clinton County
Historical Society. The Rombach Place Museum is housed in
the former home of General James W. Denver (for whom Denver,
Colorado was named). The Greek Revival styled house was
built in 1835. Today it holds military and political items
collected by General James W. Denver, items related to the
history of Clinton County, the Carl Moon photographic works, and
artworks by Quaker artist and sculptor Eli Harvey. Located
at 149 E. Locust Street in Wilmington, OH.
Roscoe Village is a
living history museum providing visitors with a glimpse into the
past. Featuring costumed docent guides and artisan
demonstrations of early crafts, the village also offers shops
and restaurants with a flavor of the 1800s. Located at 600
N. Whitewoman Street in Coshocton, OH.
African American Museum
Bedford Historical Society maintains 4 historical buildings:
- 1874 Town Hall
- 1832 Hezekiah Dunham House
- 1882 Wheeling and Lake Erie Depot
1892 Old Baptist Church
Cleveland Heights Historical Society [Historic Home Photos]
Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum
Showcasing vintage automobiles and antique
aircraft, the collection is one of the top ten in the
nation. It is directly across from the Western Reserve
Historical Society at 10825 East Boulevard in Cleveland, OH.
Dunham Tavern Museum
Frostville Museum of Nineteenth Century Americana
historical buildings are included in this offering of past
history. The Prechtel House, Jenkin's Cabin, Bigg's
House, Carpenter House, a general store, a barn and the
Barton Road Church. Most of these buildings were moved
to the site for preservation. Located in Olmsted, OH
although the area was once known as Frostville.
Hale Farm & Village
Jonathan Hale Story]
a Virtual Tour]
history museum is focused on the era of the Civil War
Visitors will find themselves in Wheatfield Village, a small
Ohio town caught in the middle of the War Between the States
and experience the impact this major war in our nation's
history had on the people who were left at home.
Skilled artisans are onsite.... spinning, weaving,
glassblowing, candlemaking, basketmaking and these crafts are for sale. Located at 2686 Oak Hill Road
in Bath, OH.
Hay-McKinney Mansion & Bingham-Hanna House
Built in 1911,
the Hay-McKinney Italian Renaissance-style mansion features
30,000 items on exhibit. Tour the beautiful mansion
and discover the lifestyle of the rich and famous along with
how the servants lived. The museum is operated by and
home to the Western Reserve Historical Society.
Located at 10825 East Boulevard in Cleveland, OH.
Lawnfield - James A. Garfield Historic Site
Historic Site was the home to President James A. Garfield.
Purchased in 1876, it was expanded from 9 to 20 rooms and
was the family home at the time of his election to
president. The home has been fully restored and is
operating as a museum featuring many original Garfield items
and most of the rooms in the house are available for
viewing. A carriage house on the property is now a
visitors center and features a video about the life and
times of James Garfield. Located at 8095 Mentor Avenue
in Mentor, OH.
has been called home by many families through the 19th and
20th centuries. Inside you will find period
furnishings, lifestyle of the time period and some history
of the families who have occupied it. Open during
special events and tours by appointment. Located at
3967 Boardman-Canfield Road in Canfield, OH.
Mill Creek Falls History Center & Slavic Village Historical Society
Shaker Historical Society, Museum & Library
Fort Jefferson Monument and Park
Once the location
of a defensive fort built in 1971 to protect army supplies from
Indians, it was abandoned in 1796. Today, the location is
a small park and a monument of faced granite field boulders
stands watch as a reminder of days past. The fort itself
is entirely gone.
of Darke County] [Treaty
Housed in the historical 1852 Garst House
(once an inn serving travelers on the Dayton and Union
Railroad,) the museum has occupied the building since 1946.
Focused on the history of Darke County, OH, the museum features
major exhibits such as Annie Oakley, Lowell Thomas, the Treaty
of Greene Ville (Greenville), a military room, and a prehistoric
exhibit along with many other artifacts and historical items
related to the early history of Greenville and the surrounding
area. Also located on the grounds and nearby are the 1880
birthplace of Lowell Thomas and the reconstructed Anthony Wayne
Peace Council House. Located at 205 N. Broadway in
Fort Defiance Park
Fort Defiance was
built in 1794.The Fort grounds are located at 320 Fort Street in
Gallant Farm Preserve
The site features
an 1930s-1940s farmhouse with a barn and farmhouse museum.
The working farm provides historical demonstrations of
activities on a depression-era farm including an orchard and
crop fields. Located at 2150 Buttermilk Hill Road in
Myers Inn Museum
Walnut Area History]
The Myers Inn is
one of the oldest structures in Sunbury. In 1816, Lawrence
Myers (co-founder of Sunbury) built a one-room house and 4 years
later in 1820, he built a 2-story stagecoach inn. Both of
these historic structures are enclosed inside the large Myers
Inn built in the 1870s by Jeduthan Skeels. Over the years
this building has been used as an apartment building, the
Community Library and today, it has been restored and is now
owned and operated by the Big Walnut Historical Society as a
museum. Housing historical relics and items, the museum is
focused on the history of Sunbury and surrounding area.
Located at 45 South Columbus Street facing Sunbury Square.
Nash House Museum
Built in 1878 for
Thomas and Mina Slattery, and later owned by William Henry Nash,
the house was occupied by members of the Nash family until 1954
when the house was gifted to the Delaware County Historical
Society. The house is filled with Victorian furnishings.
Located at 157 E. William Street in Delaware, OH.
Auglaize Village and Farm Museum
Village Map] [Photos]
features over 20 historical structures located on 120 acres. The
village is operated by the Defiance County Historical Society.
Mansfield Museum is the only structure that is native to the
AuGlaize Village site. Built in 1920, it holds the "Street
of Shops" where visitors can view a printer's shop,, a coopers
shop, a broom factory, a cobbler and others. Located at
12296 Krouse Road in Defiance, OH.
Fort Defiance Park
Fort Defiance was
built in 1794.The Fort grounds are located at 320 Fort Street in
The historic home was built 1843-1844 by
Eleutheros Cooke, Sandusky's first lawyer. Open seasonally
for tours. Located at 1415 Columbus Avenue in Sandusky,
Birthplace Museum features a collection of rare Edisonia,
including early inventions, documents and family mementos.
Thomas Alva Edison was born in Milan, Ohio in 1847. The
Edison Birthplace was opened by his wife Mina and daughter
Madeleine. Located at 9 Edison Drive in Milan, OH.
Follett House Museum
Features 4 floors of Sandusky history.
Located at 404 Wayne Street in Sandusky OH.
Maritime Museum of Sandusky
features interactive exhibits and educational programs related
to boatbuilding, ice harvesting, commercial fishing, shipwrecks,
wetlands, boating, shipping and even the the underground
railroad in Sandusky, Ohio. Located at 125 Meigs Street in
downtown Sandusky, OH.
Merry Go Round Museum
celebrates carousels and the carousel animals and horses.
Located at 301 Jackson Street in Sandusky, OH.
Milan Museum on Facebook
The museum features
7 historical buildings, artifacts and exhibits related to the
rich heritage of Milan, Ohio. Located at 10 Edison Drive
in Milan, OH.
As you enter the
Samuel Maccracken mansion, you will find yourself drifting back
in time to the earlier days of the 19th century. Featured
Erickson Glass exhibit and the Elijah Pierce woodcarvings.
Located at 105 E. Wheeling Street in Lancaster, OH.
educational and artistic display of glass, visitors are taken
through the development and production of industrial glass,
pressed glass, blown glass and art glass. Glass making is
important in the history of Lancaster, which was designated the
Pressed Glass Capital of Ohio in 2003. Located at 124 W.
Main Street in Lancaster, OH.
Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society Museum
Housed inside the
1916 Olde Carnegie Library, the museum is filled with a
collection of artifacts and memorabilia which includes the
original town pump. Other items include antique household
items, clothing, business signs and equipment, school
furnishings, historical photographs and documents. Located
at 15 E Columbus Street in Pickerington, OH.
Built ca 1811, the
home was birthplace to General William Tecumseh Sherman.
Featured exhibits are a parlor set originally owned by the
Ulysses S. Grant family and a recreation of General Sherman's
Civil War field tent which contains original Civil War items
which he used. Located at 137 E. Main Street in Lancaster,
for Franklin County Museums
Fulton County Historical Society
Housed inside the
historic 1868 Romanesque Revival two-story brick building which
once served as Wauseon's first high school, the museum is
devoted to the preservation, collection and dissemination of the
history and heritage of Fulton County, Ohio. The Fulton
County Historical Society operates and maintains the 16 room
museum with permanent and changing exhibits. Located at
229 Monroe Street in Wauseon, OH.
Historic Sauder Village
the Village] [History
of Sauder Village]
Sauder Village is a
living history museum. Costumed staff provide
demonstrations and activities of rural life in the 19th and
early 20th centuries, giving visitors a glimpse into yesteryear.
The village includes many historic structures moved from
throughout NW Ohio to the site. Located at 22611 State
Route 2 in Archbold, OH.
Century Village Museum
Century Village is
operated by the Geauga County Historical Society. The
village has over 20 historical buildings containing over 20,000
artifacts and items related to the history of Geauga County and
the surrounding area. The village features a working farm
and is representative of a Western Reserve Village from 1798 to
the turn of the 19th century. Guided tours are offered.
Located at 14653 East Park Street in Burton, OH.
Afro American Museum and Cultural Center
museum focuses on educating the public about African American
history. Located at 1350 Brush Row Road in Wilberforce,
Byesville Coal Miners and Train Museum
Visitors to the museum will learn about the
heritage of the coal miners who inhabited the Byesville area in
the past. Other exhibits include train memorabilia.
Located at 100 Tolliver Trail in Byesville, OH.
Byesville Historical Society and Museum
Housed inside the
historical bank building, the museum is operated by the
Byesville Historical Society and features antique articles,
photos and documents which chronicle the history of the
Byesville area from the mid 1800s to present day. Located
at 236 East Main Street in Byesville, OH.
Dickens Victorian Village
Christmas holidays, downtown Cambridge is transformed into a
Dickens Victorian Village. Life-size figures are depicted
in Victorian scenes and visitors may walk among them.
Located at 745 Steubenville Avenue in Cambridge, OH.
The Great American Steam Locomotive Museum
Located at 515
Dewey Avenue in Cambridge, OH.
Guernsey County Historical Society
County Historical Society operates a museum in a historic home
built ca 1849. The house is filled with antique
furnishings, historical artifacts and items related to the past
of Guernsey County. Located at 218 N Eighth Street in
Hopalong Cassidy Museum
The Hoppy Museum
features items and historic objects related to the life and
times of William Boyd "Hopalong Cassidy". Located in
Scott's Antique Mall at 127 S. 10th Street in Cambridge, OH.
Kennedy Stone House Museum
The stone house
was built ca 1837. The house has been restored to it's
1840 appearance and is today cared for by docents. Located
inside Salt Fork State Park near Cambridge, OH.
The National Museum of Cambridge Glass
features a glass collection of glassware produced by the
Cambridge Glass Company between 1902 and 1958. Located at
136 South Ninth street in Cambridge, OH.
National Road and Zane Grey Museum
The Museum tells
the story of the building of the National Road and the
settlement of America's Midwest. There is an exhibit about
Zane Grey (famed writer of western fiction). Located at
8850 East Pike in Norwich, OH.
House Research Center
Boasted to be the oldest brick house in Ohio,
Betts House was built in 1804 by William Betts, a brick
maker. With over a dozen children raised inside the
walls of Betts House, the original house was added to often
to accommodate the larger family. Today it is a place
focused on the study of building materials and traditions.
Located at 416 Clark Street in Cincinnati, OH.
Christian Waldschmidt Homestead
Built in 1804 by Christian Waldschmidt, the
house stood through the Civil War and was even used as a
training center and hospital as part of Camp Dennison.
The house was rescued by the Ohio Society of DAR.
Today, the house serves as a museum with an adjoining
property being used as the Camp Dennison Museum.
Located at 7567 Glendale Milford Road in Camp Dennison, OH.
Cincinnati Aviation Heritage Society & Museum
Focus is on the collection, restoration and
display of aviation artifacts related to Ohio and the
Cincinnati Tri State in particular along with aviation
artifacts in general. Located inside the Cincinnati
Municipal Lunken Airport Terminal at 262 Wilmer Avenue
on the second floor in room 26.
Cincinnati Fire Museum
Devoted to the history of firefighting in
Cincinnati, Ohio, the museum has a collection of
firefighting equipment and antique fire engines and pumpers.
Located at 315 West Court Street in Cincinnati, OH.
Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
This complex of Museums includes the
Cincinnati History Museum, the
Duke Energy Children's Museum, the
Museum of Natural History and Science, and the
Cincinnati Historical Society Library.
1301 Western Avenue
The Free Meeting House
Built in 1817,
the Free Meeting House is a red brick building that served
as a meeting place for several Church congregations of the
Mt. Healthy Community with various religious denominations.
Today The Free Meeting House is being preserved by the Mt.
Healthy Historical Society. Located at 1546 McMakin
Avenue in Mt. Healthy, OH.
Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society Museum
preserving the history of law enforcement in the Greater
Cincinnati area of Ohio. Located at 959 W. 8th Street,
Suite 201 in Cincinnati, OH.
Harriet Beecher Stowe House
Heritage Village in Sharonville
Map & History Guide]
days of old in this living history museum which depicts
typical village life in Southwestern Ohio during the 19th
century. Historical homes, out-buildings and equipment
have been moved to this village to be preserved and used in
the telling of the story of Ohio's past. Interpreters
tell visitors about days gone by and demonstrate crafts and
tasks such as spinning, weaving, candle-dipping, soap
making, cooking, gardening and more. Rental available for
weddings and events. Located at 11450 Lebanon Pike in
Mariemont Historic Village
Tour of Exhibits and Archives] [History]
Preservation Foundation (MPF) was founded in 1980. Its
purpose is to collect and preserve historic archives,
protect historic properties in the village; perpetuate the
dream of Mariemontís founder, Mary Emery, as a special place
for family life; and, advance appreciation for Mariemontís
significant archaeological period (Late Fort Ancient).
The Village of Mariemont is located 10 miles east of
Cincinnati, Ohio and has approximately 3100 residents. It is
a national exemplar in town planning and was designed by
eminent Town Planner, John Nolen and twenty-seven of
America's leading architects. It was financed by Mary Emery,
a wealthy Cincinnatian widow and philanthropist whose dream
was to build a "model town" where its residents could enjoy
good housing and clean air, away from the city slums. The
groundbreaking ceremony took place on April 22, 1923.
Mariemont was placed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 1979 and has just been awarded National Landmark
Hancock Historical Museum
Focused on the history of Hancock County from
prehistoric times to present day. Special emphasis is
placed on the gas boom period of the late 19th century.
The museum also houses an archive and research facility
which is available to researchers. Located at 422 W.
Sandusky in Findlay, OH.
Litzenberg Memorial Woods
The park is home to the 1847 McKinnis House.
The Greek Revival style home is furnished in the style of an
1800s rural farmhouse. Costumed interpreters
provide living history programs .Located at 3100 US Route
224 in Findlay, OH.
Dr Bloomfield House & Carriage House Museum
The Dr. Bloomfield House was built ca 1879 by
Dr. John Bloomfieldand has been restored to represent the
Victorian era. The Henry County Historical Society
operates the house as a museum which also features a
carriage house and Victorian gardens on the property.
Located at 229 Clinton Street in Napoleon, OH.
Henry County Historical Society Log Cabin
Log Cabin and History on YouTube
between 1840 and 1860 on the banks of the Maumee River on
County Road Z in Napoleon, the log cabin has been moved to
the Henry County Fairgrounds by the Henry County Historical
Society. Today the cabin contains many historical
household items including a working cider press, pleat maker
and other items. Open during the Henry County Fair and
for special events, the log cabin is located on the Henry
County Fairgrounds at 821 S. Perry Street in Napoleon, OH.
Highland House Museum
House Museum is housed inside a former tavern and stagecoach
stop. The museum features historic artifacts and
antique items related to the history of Highland County
along with documents and books. Located at 151
East Main Street in Hillsboro, OH.
Konneker Education Museum
Housed in the original Old Seceders
Presbyterian Church built 1867, the Greenfield County
Historical Society holds events and functions in the museum
and it may be rented by community residents for meetings.
Hocking County Historical Society and Museum
Hocking County Historical Society and Museum on Facebook
County Historical Society operates a museum complex
featuring 6 buildings: The Schempp House, Carriage House,
Lutz Steam Car, the Historical Center Building, the Print
Shop and the Hocking Valley Railroad Telegraph Office.
The society displays a variety of exhibits related to the
history of Hocking County, Ohio. Located at 64 Culver
Street in Logan, OH.
Hocking Hills State Park
19852 State Route 664 S in Logan, OH.
Mennonite Heritage Center
Visitors to the Amish & Mennonite Heritage
Center will learn about the faith, culture and lifestyle of
the Amish, Mennonite and Hutterite peoples. Located at
5498 County Road 77 in Berlin, OH.
Millersburg Glass Museum
Located on the lower floor of the Holmes
County Cultural Center Campus, the museum is focused on the
history of the Millersburg Glass Plant, its workers and
owner, John Fenton. Located at 484 Wooster Road in
Schrock's Amish Farm and Village
Visitors will learn about the Amish lifestyle
and tour the Amish home. Buggy rides and train rides
around the grounds are also available. Shops offer Amish
crafts and items. Located at 4359 State Route 39 in
Victorian House Museum / Holmes County Cultural Center
Victorian House Museum / Holmes County Cultural Center on
The 28 room Victorian mansion features
historic Victorian furnishings and a large collection of
historical artifacts and antique items related to the
history of Holmes County, Ohio. Located in one of
Ohio's largest Amish settlements at 484 Wooster Road in
Yoder's Amish Home
Visitors get a
glimpse into the lifestyle of the Amish folk of Ohio.
This 116 acre farm is authentically represented with
knowlegeable tour guides who will take you through two
houses and the barn while explaining the Amish faith and
customs. Located at 6050 SR 515 in Millersburg, OH.
Firelands Historical Society and Museum
of The Firelands]
Housed inside the Preston-Wickham House, also
known as The Wickham Mansion, the museum is focused on the
history of "The Firelands". The house itself is of
late Federal and early Greek Revival architecture and is
brimming with historical treasures. Researchers will
find a research center with a fine collection of historical
documents. Located at 4 Case Avenue in Norwalk, OH.
of Lyme Village] [History
of the Firelands]
the Historical Structures]
Village is a collection of historical structures which are
being used to depict life in the Firelands from the arrival
of the first settlers in the early 1800s to the early 1900s.
Structures include: The 1836 John Seymour House, the John
Wright Victorian Mansion, a one room school, general store,
several log homes, the 1846 Detterman Church, a town hall
and more. Located at 5001 State Route 4 in Bellevue,
North Fairfield Museum
North Fairfield Museum on Facebook
Focused on the preservation of the history of
North Fairfield, Huron County & Fairfield Township of Ohio.
Located at 7 North Main Street in North Fairfield, OH.
Built in 1852, this blast furnace has been
reconstructed around the original stack and is typical of
the blast furnaces which operated in the SE area of Ohio a
century ago. A visitors center allows visitors to
learn about the industry of iron ore in the Hanging Rock
Iron Region of Ohio. This state memorial site is
located on Buckeye Furnace road off of State Route 124 in
Lillian E. Jones Museum
Housed inside the former home to the Thomas
Jones family, prominent member of the community and founder
of many businesses. Today, the house has been turned
into a museum featuring historical items, artifacts and
documents from the past of Jackson County, Ohio.
Located at 75 Broadway Street in Jackson, OH.
Welsh-American Heritage Museum
The museum is focused on the preservation of
Welsh heritage and Welsh families who came to America.
Currently only open by appointment. The museum is
housed inside the Old Welsh Congregational Church on East
Main Street in Oak Hill, OH.
Historic Fort Sheldon
Fort Steuben was built in 1786 to protect the
first explorers from the Indians but the original fort was
gone by 1790. Today, a reproduction of Fort Sheldon is
located on the site and open to the public. Visitors
will see what daily life was like in the early days of Ohio.
Located at 120 South Third Street in Steubenville, OH.
Jefferson County Historical Association and Museum
Operated by the Jefferson County Historical
Association, the museum is focused on the history of
Jefferson County and features historical items, documents
and photographs. The Museum Mansion is located at 426
Franklin Avenue in Steubenville, OH.
Meeting House State Memorial
Built in 1814,
the Quaker Meeting House was the first one built west of the
Alleghenies and was used as a meeting house until 1909.
This large brick historical building is located on State
Route 150 in Mt. Pleasant, OH.
County Historical Society and Museum
Operated by the
Knox County Historical Society and focused on the
preservation and interpretation of Knox County, Ohio
history, the museum features permanent collections of
historical artifacts and a research library. Located
at 875 Harcourt Road in Mount Vernon, OH.
Croatian Heritage Museum & Library
Focus is on the collection and preservation
of Croatian history and culture. The museum features
historical artifacts and items related to Croatian heritage.
A research library holds documents and materials for
research. Located at 34900 Lakeshore Blvd. in
Fairport Harbor Marine Museum and
Harbor Lighthouse was built in 1871 to replace the original
1825 lighthouse. A museum is housed inside the
lighthouse today and features historical artifacts and
maritime exhibits related to life on the Great Lakes.
Located at 129 Second Street in Fairport Harbor, OH.
Finnish Heritage Museum
The Finnish Heritage Museum is housed inside
a historic 1922 building which ahs served Fairport Harbor in
many capacities including the Police Station. The
museum is devoted to the preservation of Finnish and
Finnish/North American history. Located at 301 High
Street in Fairport Harbor, OH.
Indian Museum of Lake County
The museum features many historical artifacts
related to the history of Native Americans of Lake County
and the State of Ohio. Many of the antiquities have
been uncovered in archaeological sites and others have been
donated by residents along with crafts. Located at the
corner of Center and River Streets in Willoughby, OH.
Kirtland Temple Historic Center
Temple was built 1831. It was the center of activity
for the community of Kirtland. Tours are offered along
with a video presentation. Located at 7809 Joseph
Street in Kirtland, OH.
Lake County Historical Museum
County Historical Museum is operated by the Lake County
Historical Society and features artifacts and exhibits along
with a library of historic documents related to the history
of Lake County. Located at 415 Riverside Drive in
Schoolhouse & History Center of Willoughby / Eastlake
features a complex of three historic buildings including a
one-room schoolhouse built in 1901, Exhibits include
spinning wheels and looms, a print shop and other historical
items. Located at 5040 Shankland Road in Willoughby,
Perry Historical Museum
Housed inside the
former Perry Town Hall built in 1875, the Perry Historical
Museum is operated by the Perry Historical Society.
Exhibits and displays feature historical artifacts and items
related to the history and heritage of Perry, Ohio.
Located at the intersection of Center Road and Main Street
in Perry, OH.
Lawrence County Museum
The Lawrence County History Museum is housed
inside the 1870 Italian Villa styled house of Colonel George N.
Gray, and operated by the Lawrence County Historical Society.
The museum is focused on the heritage of Lawrence County.
Historical artifacts and objects are displayed and Docent guides
help to weave the story of days gone by in Lawrence County,
Ohio. Located at 506 South Sixth Street in Ironton, OH.
The Alexandria Museum
Housed inside the pre-1860 home of the Peebles
family, the Alexandria Museum features a small collection of
historical items and objects related to the history of
Alexandria, Ohio. Located at 23 West Main Street in
The Greater Buckeye Lake Historical Society Museum
features thousands of items from the early to mid 1900s.
Located at 4729 Walnut Road in Buckeye Lake, OH.
Flint Ridge is
where ancient peoples of Ohio came to get flint for the making
of tools and weapons. There is a museum built around the
restored prehistoric quarry pit where the mining and shaping of
the flint is explained. Located at 15,300 Flint Ridge Road
in Glenford, OH.
Granville Historical Society Museum
Focused on the
history of Granville and the surrounding area, the museum and
research center features historical objects and documents
related to the heritage of Granville, OH. Located at 115
E. Broadway in Granville, OH.
The Hufford House
Museum features historical items and objects from the era of the
window glass making industry from 1903-1929 along with exhibits
about the history of Utica, Ohio and it's people. Located
at 45 North Main Street in Utica, OH.
Licking Valley Heritage Museum and Learning Center
features historic artifacts, antiques, photos and documents
related to the history and heritage of the Licking Valley of
Ohio. Located at 71 Hilltop Drive in Newark, OH.
Heisey Glass Museum
The museum was
established by Heisey Collectors of America to display and
promote the study of the glass products created by the A. H.
Heisey & Company 1896-1957. There is a large collection of
the beautiful glassware made by the Heisey Company.
Located at 169 W. Church Street in Newark, OH.
The Sherwood-Davidson House Museum
Veterans Park at the corner of 6th and Main Street in Newark,
Built in 1907, the
Webb House Museum is filled with antique furnishings and art.
The gardens on the property have many heirloom plants and
flowers. Located at 303 Granville Street in Newark, OH.
Museum & Orr Museum
The history museum is housed in the 1906 Orr
Mansion, which was home to to lumber baron William J. Orr.
Beautifully restored, the mansion is a lovely backdrop for the
historical artifacts on display along with the archives which
preserves a large collection of documents and photos relating to
the local history of Logan County, Ohio. A new
Transportation Museum has been added to the original museum.
Focus of the new museum is on all modes of transportation from
the earliest times and is built in the shape of a railroad
roundhouse. Located at 521
East Columbus Avenue in Bellefontaine, OH.
These castle structures are private family owned
museums filled with historic artifacts and antiques. The
museum are devoted to the preservation and interpretation of
over 200 years of history of Ohio and the Ohio people.
Located in Monroe, OH.
of Lorain, Chronology]
103rd OVI Civil
The museum celebrates the lives and service of
the soldiers of Cuyahoga, Lorain and Medina Counties who served
in the 103rd regiment of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the
Civil War. Located at 5501 E. Lake Road in Sheffield Lake,
The Hickories Museum
Housed inside an
1895 mansion, the Hickories Museum is home to the Lorain County
Historical Society. Visitors to the museum will get a
glimpse into the lifestyle of a wealthy family of Lorain County
in the early 1900s. Located at 509 Washington Avenue in
Moore House Museum
A historic house
operated by the Lorain Historical Society. Located at 309 W.
Fifth Street in Lorain, OH.
Indian Ridge Museum
With focus on the
collection and preservation of the history of Amherst, Ohio, the
museum is operated by Colonel Matthew W. Nahorn and features
exhibits of prehistoric and historic artifacts and objects
related to the history of the area. The complex features
the New Indian Ridge Museum, the historic Shupe Homestead and
Wildlife Preserve. Located in Amherst, OH.
Oberlin Heritage Center
the Oberlin Buildings]
Heritage Center features a complex of historical buildings and
strives to preserve and share the history of Oberlin, Ohio.
Buildings include the
1866 Monroe House, the
1836-1837 Little Red Schoolhouse and the
1884 Jewett House. Begin your tour at the Monroe House
Located at 20 West Vine Street in Oberlin, OH.
The house was
built in 1832 by Mr. Joseph Quigley and is a fine example of
hand hewn sandstone from the local quarry. Part of The
Sandstone Museum Center. Located at the corner of South
Lake Street and Milan Avenue in Amherst, OH.
The Sandstone Museum Center
The living history center features a village
of historical structures which include:
- The Quigley House
- The Octagonal Barn
- Hickory Tree Grange
- Harris / Dute House
- The Blacksmith Shop
- St. George's Chapel
- Amherst Auto Garage
- Pig Barn
- Firelands Archaeological Research Center
- Art Gallery
- Farrier Barn
Museum Center is located at the Corner of Milan Avenue & North
Lake Street in Amherst, OH.
Spirit of 76 Museum
The Spirit of 76 Museum on Facebook
Dedicated to the
memory of Archibald M. Willard, the artist from Wellington who
created the "Spirit of 76", an American inspirational patriotic
painting. The museum features historic objects and
treasures from Wellington and the surrounding areas of Ohio.
Located at 201 North Main street in Wellington, OH.
The Weltzheimer / Johnson House
A 1948 Frank Lloyd Wright house was the first
Usonian home in Ohio. Located on the campus of Oberlin
College at 534 Morgan Street in Oberlin, OH.
Fallen Timbers State Memorial
of Fallen Timbers] [Treaty
of Greene Ville]
The site has a
memorial in honor of Major General Anthony Wayne and several
smaller monuments devoted to soldiers and Native Americans who
died at the historic Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794 - a
decisive battle in the signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville.
Farm State Park
The park is home
to Louis Bromfield's "Big House" and the working farm which is
still operational. Tours are offered of both.
Located at 4050 Bromfield Road in Lucas, OH.
Museum features exhibits of Scouting memorabilia. Operated
by the Erie Shores Council, Boy Scouts of America, the museum is
housed inside the original 1917 building at Camp Miakonda.
Located at Camp Miakonda near the Ohio / Michigan state line at
5600 W. Sylvania Avenue in Toledo, OH.
Museum of the Great Lakes
Operated by The Great Lakes Historical Society,
the museum is focused on the maritime history of the Great
Lakes. Featuring hundreds of artifacts, interactive
exhibits, the Colonel James M. Schoonmaker and the Maritime
Park, the new museum is located at 480 Main Street in Toledo, OH.
An online virtual museum highlighting the last
100 years of Toledo's history.
Toledo Firefighters Museum
Housed in Old Number 18 Fire House built ca 1920,
the museum features many large pieces of antique fire fighting
equipment which include fire pumpers and horse drawn steamers
along with uniforms, helmets and firefighting memorabilia.
Located at 918 Sylvania Avenue in Toledo, OH.
Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway and Museum
The museum features many pieces of historical
railroad equipment. Located at 14745 Saylor Lane in Grand
Museum of Art
The museum features an impressive collection of
more than 30,000 works of art by masters of art such as Bearden,
van Gogh, El Greco, Monet, Picasso, Rembrandt and others.
The campus itself offers seven buildings of beautiful
architecture and lovely gardens which will stimulate the senses
of any visitor. Located at 2445 Monroe Street in Toledo,
Whitehouse Historical Society Museum
Housed inside an 1840 log cabin, the museum is
operated by the Whitehouse Historical Society and features
exhibits of Maumee Valley historical memorabilia. Located
in Whitehouse Village, OH.
Wildwood Manor House
of Manor House & Estate]
A beautiful Georgian Colonial mansion built in
the 1930s with over 30,000 square feet is open to the public for
tours. Located inside Wildwood Preserve Metropark at 5100
W. Central Avenue in Toledo, OH.
House Museum Complex
This beautiful 14 room Federal style mansion
began as a log house in 1827 and evolved into the mansion
visitors will see today in 1836. The home was built by
shipbuilder and early mayor of Maumee - James Wolcott.
More historical buildings have been added to the grounds of the
house including the Ohio Saltbox farmhouse built in 1841 by
Jarvis Gilbert, an 1850 log house, an 1880 railroad station, a
1901 Gothic church and an 1840 Greek Revival townhouse.
Guided tours are offered. Located at 1035 River Road in
Plain City Historical Society and Museum
The Plain City
Historical Society operates a small museum and historical
library at 111 West Main Street in Plain City, OH.
Arms Family Museum
the residence of Olive A. and Wilford P. Arms. The
Arts & Crafts style residence has been preserved and
features original period rooms with handicraft and medieval
architecture and design. Exhibits are focused on the
history of all the different people who have lived in the
Mahoning Valley. Artifacts and galleries explore the
Native Americans, pioneer settlers, Welsh coal miners,
African-American freeman and the Eastern European immigrants
who lived in the Mahoning Valley of Ohio. There is
also an Archival Library on the premises. Located at
648 Wick Avenue in Youngstown, OH.
Loghurst Farm Museum
Loghurst on Facebook
Farmhouse is considered to be the oldest remaining log house
in the Western Reserve region. The house was once a
stop on the Underground Railroad and has been owned by many
farming families over the years. Located at 3967
Boardman-Canfield Road, Canfield, OH.
Also known as
the Judge William Shaw Anderson house, the home was built in
1831 of huge blocks of sandstone locally quarried from Stony
Ridge on South Turner Road in Austintown. The first
residents of this house were the William Strock family.
The house is maintained by the Austintown Historical Society
today and is filled with period furnishings. Open for free
guided tours on a limited basis or by appointment.
Located at 7171 Mahoning Avenue in Austintown, OH.
Devoted to the
collection and preservation of the history and items from
all American wars and skirmishes, the War Vet Museum
preserves the history of the US Army, Navy, Marines, Air
Force, Coast Guard and the American Legion. The museum
is housed inside a historic 1809 house located near The
Green and features 17 rooms containing over 36,000 items.
Located at 23 Main Street in Canfield, OH.
Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor
Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor on
The museum is
managed by the Youngstown State University and is focused on
the steel industry which provided the mainstay for
Youngtown's economy for most of the 20th century. It
is housed inside a building modeled after a steel mill with
smoke stocks. Located at 151 Wood Street in
Housed in the old Marion Post Office,
Heritage Hall is home to the Marion County Historical
Society. Located at 169 E. Church Street in
Built in 1864,
the historic brick mansion holds collections of historical
items such as Indian artifacts, pottery, military firearms
and other antiquities. Located at 504 S. State Street
in Marion, OH.
Warren G. Harding Home
home of Warren G. Harding, 29th president of the US was
built in 1890. Declared a National Historic Landmark,
the house is operated as a museum and is open for tours.
Located at 380 Mount Vernon Avenue in Marion, OH.
Wyandot Popcorn Museum
Popcorn Museum features the largest collection of popcorn
poppers and peanut roasters in the world. Located
inside heritage Hall at 169 E. Church Street in Marion, OH.
Chatham Historical Museum
Operated by the Chatham Historical Society,
the museum is focused on the collection and preservation of
the history of Chatham Township, Ohio. The Chatham
Historical Museum features historical artifacts and items
related to that history. Next door is the Chatham
School Museum. These museums are located at 6332 and
6300 Avon Lake Road in Chatham, OH.
Heritage Farm & Museum
the Brunswick Area Historical Society, Heritage Farm is a
museum devoted to the farming heritage of Brunswick, OH.
The museum is a working farm and features a restored 1860s
farm house with corn crib, granary, barn, milk house and
chicken house. Many events are scheduled annually at
Heritage Farm including Heritage Days and Farmers Market.
Located at 4613 Laurel Road in Brunswick, OH.
The John Smart House
The John Smart
House is a lovely Victorian Queen Anne Style home built
1886-1887. Featured inside are beautiful antique
furnishings, exhibits of vintage clothing and historic
artifacts from early pioneers, Native Americans and the
Civil War. Located at 206 N. Elmwood Street in Medina,
Johnson House Museum
Johnson house was built ca1852. The house has been
preserved and is being renovated. Tours are offered on
Saturdays. Located at 161 High Street in Wadsworth,
Little Wiz Fire Museum
an 1928 building which once served as a small grocery store,
the museum features a collection of early firefighting
equipment. Visitors are given a personal tour and are
educated about the equipment on display. Located at
326 East Smith Road in Medina, OH.
Northern Ohio Railroad Museum
preserves, restores and operates streetcars and railway
equipment from the past. Located near Chippewa Lake at
5515 Buffham Road in Seville, OH.
The museum is
a Western Reserve style house built 1840-1843. Once
the home of Dr. Hill and later Cynthia Work Thompson, the
property today is a museum filled with collections of
antiques and household items. Of note, is a collection
of over 200 antique dolls. Located at 1261 Granger
Road in Medina, OH.
Weymouth Preservation Society Museum
This very new
museum is housed inside the former Achievement Center and
operated by the Weymouth Preservation Society. The
museum features a collection of war artifacts along with
historic artifacts and vintage household items from Weymouth
residents. Located at 3334 Myers Road in Medina
Buffington Island Battlefield Memorial
about the Battle and Photos]
Island is the site where the largest battle of the Civil War
in Ohio took place on July 19, 1863.. A 4-acre site is
being preserved and they are working to preserve the entire
battlefield. Located on State Route 124 in Portland,
Tour Slideshow] [History]
Courthouse, completed in 1823, is the oldest standing
courthouse in the state of Ohio. Saved by DAR and
restored by The Chester-Shade Historical Association, the
courthouse today includes a courtroom, museum center of
folklore and a genealogy center. Located at the
intersection of Routes 7 and 248 at 46450 Ohio 248 in
Meigs County Museum
County Pioneer and Historical Society operates the museum
featuring historical artifacts and materials related to the hisotry and heritage of Meigs County, Ohio. The museum
houses both the Historical Society Library and the Meigs
County Genealogy Society library for researchers.
Located at 144 Butternut Avenue in Pomeroy, OH.
Armstrong Air and Space Museum
The museum shares the story of Neil
Armstrong, all Ohioans who have defied gravity, the Space
Race and current space exploration. Designed to look
like a futuristic moon base, the museum features many space
artifacts, moon rocks, spacecraft and other items.
Located at 500 Apollo Drive in Wapakoneta, OH.
Fort Recovery State Museum
The WPA built this project in 1938 and at
that time it housed the local library and many historical
artifacts from this historical area. Two of the
largest Indian battles in US history was fought at Fort
Recover, OH. in the 1790s. The museum features an
enormous collection of Indian artifacts. Located at 1
Fortsite Street in Fort Recovery, OH.
Maria Stein Center - Shrine of the Holy Relics
1875, the Shrine houses a collection of relics in a
beautiful chapel built in 1892. The relics include a
hand carved altar, stained glass windows from Germany and
beautiful hand-carved woodwork. Located at 2291 St.
Johns Road in Maria Stein, OH.
Mercer County Historical Society and Museum
Located at 130 East Market Street in Celina,
The Hayner Distillery Company Museum
The Hayner Distillery was founded in 1866.
The museum features a collection of Hayner memorabilia.
Located at 301 West Main Street n Troy, OH.
Historic Waco Field is preserving the past and
offering bi-plane rides at times. The museum preserves
antique aircraft and related memorabilia and items.
Located at 1865 South County Road 25A in Troy, OH.
Parry House Museum
The Parry House was originally built in 1858
for Nathan Hollister. By 1889, the house was home to
Dr. John R. Parry. The house as been restored by the
Monroe County Historical Society and is today operated as a
museum. Filled with antiques, the museum gives
visitors a glimpse into what life was like in an
upper-middle class home of the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Also on the property is the Byers/Oak Ridge Schoolhouse
which was moved from Washington Township. Located at
217 Eastern Avenue in Woodsfield, OH.
National Aviation hall of Fame
Located at 1100 Spaatz Street in Dayton, OH.
Aaron Nutt Cottage
The Aaron Nutt Cottage houses the collections
of the Centerville-Washington Township Historical Society
and features a local history research and genealogy room.
It is one of the many houses on the
Walking Tour of Centerville, Ohio. Located at 78 N. Main
Street in Centerville, OH.
America's Packard Museum
The restored Packard Dealership is operated
as a museum featuring the products and philosophies of the
Packard Motor Car company. Located at 420 S. Ludlow
Street in Dayton, OH.
Asahel Wright House Museum
The original portion of the Asahel Wright
House was built in 1806 with a second story addition ca1860.
The house features two rooms of exhibits and is on the
Walking Tour of Centerville, Ohio. Located at 26
North Main Street in Centerville, OH.
Brookville Railroad Depot Museum
The Brookville Railroad Depot was built in
1899 and operated for 75 years. Today it is used as a
museum and is maintained by the Brookville Historical
Society. Located at the intersection of Hay and Cusick
Avenue in Brookville, OH.
Carriage Hill MetroPark
Located at 7800 E. Shull Road in Dayton, OH.
Daniel Gebhart Tavern Museum
The Gebhart Tavern opened for business in 1811.
Known as Hole's Station, the tavern provided a place for
travelers to stop for food and drink when passing through
Miamisburg, OH. The tavern closed in 1840 and was used
as a home by various owners. Today it has been stripped
back to the original log structure, restored and opened as a
museum which is representative of the early taverns which
dotted the early frontier. Located at the corner of Lock
and Old Main Street in Miamisburg, OH.
Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historic Park
There are five National Historic Landmarks and
a National Register Historic District inside this National
Historic Park. Included are the Wright Cycle Company
Building, Hoover Block, Huffman Prairie Flying Field, 1905
Wright Flyer III (the world's first practical airplane),
Hawthorn Hill and the Paul Laurence Dunbar State Memorial.
The sites relay the history and legacy of Wilbur Wright,
Orville Wright and Paul Laurence Dunbar. Visitors should
begin their visit at the Wright Cycle Company Complex
located at 16 South Williams Street or the Huffman Prairie
Flying Field Interpretive Center located at 2380 Memorial
Road in Dayton, OH
Dayton International Peace Museum
A space to make peace. Located at 208
West Monument Avenue in Dayton, OH
This Oakwood Mansion was home to Orville Wright
for 35 years. Visitors to the mansion will get a
glimpse into the mind of of Orville Wright. Tours
start at 1000 Carillon Boulevard in Dayton, OH.
Iams Homestead Museum
The Iams house
was built in 1847 by the Iams family, founder of the Iams
Company. The museum is operated by the
Trotwood-Madison Historical Society and features local
artifacts and items related to the history of the area.
Located at 349 S. Broadway Street in Trotwood, OH.
Valley Military History Museum
The museum is
devoted to the entire military history of the United States
of America and features hundreds of military artifacts and
items. Located in the Historic District of the
Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Building 120 at 120 Ohio
Avenue in Dayton, OH.
National Aviation hall of Fame
Hosted within the National Museum of the United
States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB. Located at 1100 Spaatz Street in Dayton, OH.
The National Museum of the United States Air Force
This museum is all about the US Air Force.
Located on Wright-Patterson AFB at 1100 Spaatz Street near
Built in 1810 and added to until 1850, the
historic Federal style house was originally the home of
Revolutionary War veteran Colonel Robert Patterson and his
family. Today the house is operated as a museum and
gives insight into the daily lives of the Patterson family
as they resided here for over 100 years. The historic
home is furnished with 18th and 19th century antiques and
artifacts. Located at 1815 Brown Street in Dayton, OH.
Paul Laurence Dunbar House
Laurence Dunbar's Life]
Laurence Dunbar Web Site]
The historic red brick home was home to one of
the first African American poets to receive national
acclaim. This National Historic Landmark has been
preserved and is part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage
National Historical Park located at 219 N. Paul Laurence
Dunbar Street in Dayton, OH.
Samuel Spitler House Community Museum
Built in 1894, the Samuel Spitler house is a
Queen Anne style three story home. The beautiful house
has been restored and is filled with period furnishings.
The basement features interesting exhibits related to
Brookville's history. Located at 14 Market Street in
Trotwood Depot Museum
Built in 1912,
the depot is being used as a museum today. Operated by
the Trotwood-Madison Historical Society, the museum is
located on the southeast corner of East Main Street and
Broadway in Trotwood, OH.
Indian Village / Archaeological Park
Sun Watch is
an original site of an 800 year old American Indian village.
Today, the village has been recreated along the banks of the
Miami River to resemble a 13th century Native American
Village. Other features of the site include an
Interpretive Center with historical artifacts, a film and
other items of interest. Located at 2301 W. River Road
in Dayton, OH.
Focused on the
preservation of the history of Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) Kung
Fu. Located at 5715 Brandt Pike in Dayton, OH.
Walton House Museum
Housed inside a 1838 stone cottage, the
Centerville-Washington Township Historical Society features
a variety of exhibits and is part of the
walking tour of downtown Centerville. Located at
89 West Franklin Street in Centerville, OH.
Wright B. Flyer Hangar Museum
Wright B. Flyer Inc. flies and displays
look-alikes of the Wright Brothers first production
airplane, the Wright Model B Flyer. The hangar is a
free museum related to the Wright Brothers aircraft and
features a simulator if you want to try flying the Wright
Brothers Model B airplane. Located on the
Dayton-Wright Brothers Airport in Dayton, OH.
Evelyn True Button House
This Federal style
home was built in 1836 and was the home of Mrs. Evelyn True
Button who was well known as a teacher, author and women's
rights advocate. The home has been restored and preserved
to appear as it did in it's early days. The home is
features period furnishings. Located at 142 East Main
Street in McConnelsville, OH.
Morgan County Historical Society Museum
The Morgan County
Historical Society holds thousands of artifacts and antiques
related to the history of Morgan County, Ohio and it's people.
The society also houses a large genealogy collection of photos,
documents and printed records. Located at 142 East Main
Street in McConnellsville, OH.
Morrow County Historical Society Museum / Pleasant Grove Church
The old Pleasant Grove Church of Christ building
houses the museum collection of the Morrow County Historical
Society. Located on CR 46, off of SR 19 in Mt. Gilead, OH.
Dr. Increase Matthews House
Built in 1805, the Dr. Increase Matthews House is
the oldest building in the area. The house remained in the
Matthews family for over 130 years. Today it is operated
as a museum featuring historical items, artifacts and antiques
related to the early history of the area. Located in the
Putnam Historic District at 304 Woodlawn Avenue in Zanesville,
John & Annie
Glenn Historic Site
In honor of the
first American to orbit the Earth, Located at 72 W Main Street
in New Concord, OH.
The Museum of Ceramics
features a large collection of ceramic wares produced in East
Liverpool, Ohio, also known as America's Crockery City and The
Pottery Capitol of the Nation. Located at 400 East Fifth
Street in East Liverpool, OH.
National Road / Zane Grey Museum
Operated by the
Ohio Historical Society, the museum features an incredible
exhibit about the National Road which was considered the "Main
Street of America" joining the east coast of the United States
to the new western frontier in the early 19th century.
Other exhibits include a tribute to Zanesville's author Zane
Grey and an exhibit focused on the art pottery of Ohio.
Located at 8850 E. Pike in Norwich, OH.
Built in 1856,
Prospect Place is a 29 room mansion built by abolitionist George
Willison Adams. Located at 12150 Main Street in Trinway,
The Stone Academy
Built of locally
quarried sandstone, the Stone Academy was built in 1809.
It has been used for various purposes throughout the years and
today it is home to the Pioneer and Historical Society.
The society features a museum of exhibits, antiques, historical
documents and other items related to the history of Muskingum
County. Located at 115 Jefferson Street in Zanesville, OH.
Baker Glass Museum and Antique Gallery
The Baker Museum houses a massive collection of
glassware and antiques featuring thousands of glass items from
famed glass companies such as Cambridge, Fenton, Heisey,
Westmorland and Degenhart as well as pottery from Weller,
Shawnee, Roseville and McCoy. Located at 805 Cumberland
Historic Downtown Caldwell
Johnny Appleseed Memorial
Created of small rocks and stones contributed by
people throughout the US where Johnny Appleseed was known to
have planted apple seeds, the memorial is located along SR 821
just south of Dexter City, OH near the gravesites of the family
of Johnny Appleseed.
Noble County Jail Museum
The Noble County Jail was built in 1882 and today
houses a museum and visitor's center. Located at 419 West
Street in Caldwell, OH.
Fort Firelands Museum of Flint and Stone
The Museum of Flint and Stone examines the
history of flint and stone tool manufacturing.
Exhibits of arrowheads, flint drills, stone axes and spear
throwers are featured. Located in the recreated Fort
Firelands complex at 5650 East Harbor Road in Marblehead,
Johnson's Island Museum and Visitor Center
Island Pleasure Resort] [The
The museum features exhibits about the
history of Johnson's Island including the Civil War POW
Depot, the Pleasure Resort and the quarry. Located in
the Ohio Veterans Home, I. F. Mack Building at 3416 Columbus
Avenue in Sandusky, OH.
Lake Erie Islands Historical Society Museum
Lake Erie Islands Historical Society & Museum on Facebook
Devoted to the history of the islands of Lake
Erie's Western Basin, the museum features exhibits and
displays of local history. Located at 25 Town Hall
Place in Put-in-Bay, OH.
Liberty Aviation Museum
The museum showcases WWII aircraft.
Located at the Erie-Ottawa Regional Airport 3515 East State
Road in Port Clinton, OH.
Lighthouse is one of the best known landmarks on Lake Erie.
The Keeper's House nearby is a museum. Located inside
Marblehead Lighthouse State Park at 110 Lighthouse Drive in
County Historical Museum
Ottawa County Museum on Facebook
Focus is on
the preservation of Ottawa County history. Located at
126 West Third Street in Port Clinton, OH.
House Museum / Keepers House
Known as the
oldest surviving home in Ottawa County, Ohio, the Keeper's
House was the home of the first three lighthouse keepers for
the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the Great
Lakes. Located at 9999 East Bayshore Road in
John Paulding Historical Society Museum
The museum features
a collection of historical items and artifacts related to the
settling of Paulding County, Ohio. Operated by the John
Paulding Historical Society, the museum is located at 600
Fairgrounds Drive in Paulding, OH.
Murray City Depot and Coal Mining Museum
The Murray City
Depot was built between 1890 and 1900. If is one of only
three original historic train depots still standing in the state
of Ohio. The museum housed inside the depot features
historical artifacts from the depot and railroad along with coal
mining artifacts. Located on Hack Street in Murray City,
Housed inside the
Dr. Edward C. Clarke house built in the 1840s/1850s, the museum
furnishings donated by local Pickaway County families, Native
American artifacts, and antique items related to the history of
Pickaway County, Ohio. Located at 162 West Union Street in
Small Town Museum
and Video Gallery]
Operated by the
Ashville Area Heritage Society, the museum features artifacts
and relics from the past of Ashville, Ohio and the surrounding
area. Located at 34 Long Street in Ashville, OH.
The Ted Lewis
Museum is devoted to the life and music of Ted Lewis.
Located at 133 West Main Street in Circleville, OH.
Pike Heritage Museum
Heritage Museum YouTube Video]
Housed inside the
historical 1859 German Evangelical & Reformed Church, the Pike
Heritage Museum features historic relics and items related to
the past history of Pike County, Ohio. Located at 110 S.
Market Street in Waverly, OH.
Aurora Historical Society Museum
The museum is
operated by the Aurora Historical Society and features exhibits
of artifacts and items related to the history of Aurora, Ohio.
Located at 115 East Pioneer Trail in Aurora, OH.
William R. Kelso
opened his stage tavern in 1837 which also served many years as
the town's post office. Also known as the Union House, or Old
Hotel, the Kelso House Museum is located at 4158 State Route 43
in Brimfield, Ohio.
Lowrie - Beatty Museum
The John Lowrie &
Mary Helen Beatty Museum is housed on the upper floor of the
building. The museum features exhibits of historic items
and artifacts related to the history of Portage County, Ohio.
Built in 1968, the Museum & Library building is located at 6549
N. Chestnut Street in Ravenna, OH.
Preble County Historical Society and Museum
from the Past]
Historical properties operated by the Preble
County Historical Society include the
1860s Sayler Swartsel House, 1830s Philips Swartsel House,
an 1813 Log House filled with pre-1840 artifacts, an 1850s
smokehouse, a turn of the century bank barn, an educational
building and the exhibit hall filled with
exhibits. Located at 7693 Swartsel Road in Eaton, OH.
Putnam County Historical Society and Museum
Housed in the old
Kalida Methodist Church, the museum is operated by the Putnam
County Historical Society and features exhibits related to local
history. Located at 201 East Main Street in Kalida, OH.
Bellville Jefferson Historical Museum
Operated by the Bellville Historical
Society, the museum is devoted to the preservation of the
heritage of Bellville, Ohio. Located at 167 Main
Street in Bellville, OH.
Wax figures of people and scenes from the
Bible are on display. Located at 500 Tingley Avenue in
Butler-Clear Fork Valley Historical
Society & Museum
Open limited hours. Contact at
419-989-1679 for hours of operation. Located at 43 W.
Elm Street in Butler, OH.
This 47 acre former estate garden is open to
the public. Once owned by Charles Kelley King, it can
today be enjoyed by all. Kingwood Hall was built in
1926 for the Charles Kelley King family. Today, the
mansion is open seasonally for guided tours. Located
at 50 North Trimble Road in Mansfield, OH.
Malabar Farm State Park
working farm is located at 4050 Bromfield Road in Lucas, OH.
Mansfield Fire Museum and Education Center
See a reproduction of a turn-of-the-century
fire station and view historic fire fighting equipment and
horse drawn equipment of the past. Located at 1265 W.
4th Street in Mansfield, OH.
The Mansfield Memorial Museum
The Mansfield Memorial Museum was founded in
1889, making it the oldest museum in Richland County.
The museum features historical artifacts from early Native
Americans, Africans, Asians, military and natural history.
Visitors to the museum can get a glimpse into the what the
days of the late 1800s in Mansfield, Ohio were like.
Located at 34 Park Avenue West in Mansfield, OH.
Morton One Room School Museum
schoolhouse has been restored and is being operated as a
museum today. Located at 5028 State Route 96 just west
of Shelby, OH.
Oak Hill is a
Gothic Revival styled house built in 1847 by John Robinson.
Today the house is operated as a museum by the Richland
County Historical Society. Filled with antiques and
Victorian furnishings, the house has been beautifully
restored. Located at 310 Springmill Street in
1896, the State Reformatory operated until 1990 and housed
over 155,000 men. Visitors can explore history and
haunting at the Ohio State Reformatory. Located at 100
Reformatory Road in Mansfield, OH.
an 1850 school house, the museum is devoted to the
collection, preservation, and the exhibition of historical
artifacts and items related to the history of Richland
County, Ohio. Located at 51 Church Street in
The museum features historic items from the
past of Shelby, Ohio. The collections include
photographs, documents and memorabilia. Located in the
Sutter-Roush room at 23 East Main Street in Shelby, OH.
Mansion and Gardens
Adena Mansion was built 1806/1807 for Thomas
Worthington, sixth governor of Ohio and one of the state's
first US Senators. The house has been restored to what
it would have looked like when the Worthington family lived
in it and includes many original furnishings. The new
museum and education center features interactive exhibits
which tell the story of life in Ohio in the early 1800s.
Located at 847 Adena Road in Chillicothe, OH.
Bainbridge Dental Museum & Historical Society
In the 1830s, this historic building was used
as Dr. John Harris' Dental School, the museum is today
considered "The Cradle of Dentistry" and is being preserved.
Located at 209 W. Main Street in Bainbridge, OH.
1907, the Franklin House operates as a museum focused on the
history of women in Ross County, OH. Exhibits include
household items, quilts, coverlets, furniture and other
furnishings and accessories. Located at 80 S. Paint
Street in Chillicothe, OH.
Knoles Log House
Built ca 1820,
this original log house has been moved twice and is filled
with period furnishings. Visitors to the cabin will
gain insight into the "way of life" of early pioneer
families in Chillicothe, OH. It is located on the
grounds of the Ross County Historical Society at 45 W. Fifth
Street in Chillicothe, OH.
Ross County Heritage Center
Dedicated to the
preservation and interpretation of the history of Ohio's
first capital city, Chillicothe, the museum features
historical artifacts, items from the Civil War and WWI,
early Ohio decorative arts, historical art portraits and
historical vehicles. Connected to the
McKell Library which researchers will find helpful.
Located at 45 W. Fifth Street in Chillicothe, OH.
Rutherford B. Hayes
Creek Bend Farm
The property is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places. The park features an
1930s-1950s era farmhouse. The park is located on
State Route 590 in Lindsay, OH. The house, barns,
trails and creek are located at 654 S. Main Street in
Mad River and NKP Railroad Museum
The museum features historical artifacts,
railroad memorabilia, railroad history of the area and
includes household items related to the history of Bellevue,
OH. Located at 233 York Street in Bellevue, OH.
Rutherford B. Hayes Mansion
and Presidential Center
The 31 room
mansion was constructed between 1859 and 1863. The
museum features over 13,000 artifacts related to the life
and times of Rutherford B. Hayes, his family and the history
of Ohio. Located at Spiegel Grove in Fremont, OH.
The 1810 House
The historic farm
home features 8 rooms of 19th and 20th century furnishings and
antiquities. Operated as a museum, tours are offered.
Located at 1926 Waller Street in Portsmouth, OH.
Philip Moore Jr. Stone House
Built in 1797 by
Revolutionary War veteran Philip Moore, Jr., the locally
quarried stone house is one of the few primitive homes that
remains intact in Southern Ohio. Tours and rentals are
offered. Located off State Route 239 in West Portsmouth,
Southern Ohio Museum on Facebook
The art museum
features current and historic works of art including a large
collection of prehistoric Native American objects. Located
at 825 Gallia Street in Portsmouth, OH.
Civil War Museum of Ohio
Civil War museum features artifacts, dioramas, mannequins,
interactive exhibits and many objects related to the Civil War
and Ohio's role in it. Located at 217 S. Washington in
Fostoria Glass Heritage Gallery
The museum for the
historical glass made in the twelve glass plants located in
Fostoria, Ohio during the time period 1887-1920. Located
at 109 N. Main Street in Fostoria, OH.
Seneca County Historical Museum
The Seneca County
Museum is housed inside the Greek Revival Mansion built in 1853
by Rezin Shawhan, Tiffin's first millionaire. Exhibits in
the museum are related to the early history of Seneca County,
Ohio. The museum is operated by the Seneca County
Historical Society. Located at 28 Clay Street in Tiffin,
The museum is
focused on the preservation of the glassware made by the Tiffin
factory's artisans and glass masters over their almost 100 years
of operation. Located at 25 South Washington Street in
William A. Ross Jr. Historical Center
The museum is
operated by the Shelby County Historical Society. and features
historical items, artifacts and documents related to the
heritage of Shelby County. Also at the site, visitors will
find the 1820s Knoles Log House and the Franklin House devoted
to local women's history. Located at 201 N. Main Street in
Wilderness Trail Museum
Loramie Photos] [Museum
The museum is
operated by the Fort Loramie Historical Association and houses
historical artifacts related to the history of the area inside a
red brick two-story boardinghouse/hotel built in 1853.
Collections include Indian artifacts, mementos of the Miami-Erie
Canal era, and household items. Located at 37 N Main
Street in Fort Laramie, OH.
Canton Classic Car Museum
Visitors will find
a collection of 40 rare and unusual classic and special interest
automobiles along with thousands of historical items related to
the history of automobiles. Located at 123 6th Street SW
in Canton, OH.
Ladies National Historic Site
The historic site
is preserved in honor of the lives and accomplishments of the
First Ladies of the U.S. The site features two historic
structures, the home of First Lady Ida Saxton McKinley and an
1895 City Bank building. Visitors will find a library and
museum filled with artifacts. Tours of Ida Saxton
McKinley's home are also offered. Visitors are urged to
park behind the Saxton House on the corner of Market Avenue
South and 3rd Street SW in downtown Canton, OH.
Hoover Historical Center
Housed inside the
boyhood home of William H. Hoover, founder of the Hoover
Company. The Victorian Italianate styled farmhouse is
filled with antiques and items related to the life and times of
William H. Hoover and his vacuum machines. Located inside
Walsh University's Hoover Park at 1875 East Maple Street in
North Canton, OH.
A museum where art
and history comes together. The Massillon Museum features
over 100,000 objects related to the history of Massillon area of
Ohio. Located at 121 Lincoln Way East in Massillon, OH.
Warren, Ohio is
considered to be the birthplace of Packard. The museum's
mission is to preserve and bring recognition to the legacy of
Packard and it's influence on transportation. Located at
1899 Mahoning Avenue NW in Warren, OH.
Canton Heritage Society Museum
Canton History Timeline] [Old
Operated by the
North Canton Heritage Society, the museum id focused on the
preservation, protecting and sharing of the rich history of
North Canton, Ohio. Located at 185 Ream Street NW in North
Pro Football Hall of Fame
of Fame History]
Located at 2121
George Halas Drive NW in Canton, OH.
Spring Hill Historic Home
Built in the
1820s, Spring Hill Farm was settled by Quakers, Thomas and
Charity Rotch. The house became a public museum in 1973.
Located at 1401 Springhill Lane NE in Massillon, OH.
McKinley Presidential Library & Museum
The museum is
dedicated to the collection, preservation and sharing of
materials and records related to the history of Starke County
and the presidential history of William McKinley. Located
at 800 McKinley Monument Drive NW in Canton, OH.
Cuyahoga Valley Historical Museum
The museum is
a branch of the Peninsula Library and Historical Society.
The museum is devoted to the interpretation and promotion of
the history of the Cuyahoga Valley area. Housed inside
the historic Boston Township Hall which was built in 1887,
the museum is located at 1775 Main Street in Peninsula, OH.
The Birthplace of Alcoholics Anonymous, many
hopeless alcoholics including Dr. Bob, made their first
steps toward recovery. Located at 855 Ardmore Avenue
in Akron, OH.
Hale Farm and Village
history museum depicts daily life in the mid-19th century.
Dozens of historic structures, antique gardens and
demonstrations of farming, crafts, trades and cooking will
give visitors a glimpse into the past. Located at 2686
Oak Hill Road in Bath, OH.
Built in 1871, the
Empire Italianate style mansion has 28 rooms filled with
period furnishings and treasures. Located at 60 Fir
Hill, The University of Akron in Akron, OH.
aviation history, the museum features historical aircraft
along with many objects and items related to the history of
aviation. Located at 2260 International Parkway in
North Canton, OH.
Perkins Stone Mansion
Perkins Stone Mansion was built by Colonel Simon Perkins,
son of the found of Akron, General Simon Perkins.
Located at 550 Copley Road in Akron, OH.
Hywet Hall and Gardens
home of F. A. Seiberling, co-founder of the Goodyear Tire &
Rubber Company. The estate is a 65-room Tudor Revival
Manor House. with 70 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds
and formal gardens. Daily tours are offered.
Located at 714 N. Portage Path in Akron, OH.
Twinsburg Historical Society Museum
Built in the
1860s as the Twinsburg Institute and later known as Grange
Hall, the building today houses a museum focused on the
history of Twinsburg, Ohio. Located at 8996 Darrow
Road in Twinsburg, OH.
Housed inside the
1852 brick home built by David Butts, the Butts Museum is
focused on the history of Fowler Township. Located at 3364
Youngstown Kingsville Road in Fowler, OH.
Ernie Hall Aviation Museum
Focus is on the
life of aeronautical pioneer, Ernie Hall, but also the legacy of
other early pioneers of flight. Located at 1059 North
River Road in Warren, OH.
Fowler Town Hall Museum
Built in 1850, the
museum features historic artifacts related to the pioneer past
of Fowler, Ohio. Located at 4562 Wilson Sharpsville Road
in Fowler, OH.
John Stark Edwards House
The John Stark
Edwards was built in 1807. Today the house is operated by
the Trumbull County Historical Society as a historical house
museum. Located at 303 Monroe Street, NW in Warren, OH.
The Sutliff Museum
features an authentic replica of a Victorian room. Located
on the second floor of the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
at 444 Mahoning Avenue, NW in Warren, OH.
Harriet Taylor Upton]
Completed in 1840,
the Upton House was built by General Simon Perkins. In
later years, the house became a temporary center for the
National American Woman Suffrage Association. Today, the
house has been preserved and is being restored. A museum
collection of materials related to Harriet Taylor Upton and the
Suffrage Movement is housed inside the Upton House.
Located at 380 Mahoning Avenue NW in Warren, OH.
The Ward-Thomas House Museum
Victorian Mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places
and features lovely gardens as well. Operated by the Niles
Historical Society as a museum. Located at 503 Brown
Street in Niles, OH.
McKinley Memorial, Public Library and Home
The memorial was
placed in memory of our 25th President, William McKinley and the
museum is devoted to the collection and preservation of the
artifacts and history of President William McKinley. The
McKinley home may be toured as well. The Memorial and
Museum is located at 40 N Main Street and the McKinley
Birthplace Home and Research Center is located at 40 S Main
Street in Niles, OH.
Alpine Hills Historical Museum & Sugarcreek Information
The museum is focused on the Swiss and Amish
heritage of Sugarcreek, Ohio. Located at 106 West Main
Street in downtown Sugarcreek, OH.
Auman Museum of Radio & Television
Filled with antique radios and television
sets and all manner of related items. Located at 215
North Tuscarawas Avenue in Dover, OH.
Baltic Area Historical Society Museum
The museum is a complex of 3 historic
buildings which showcase the history of Baltic Village, once
known as Rowville.Located on State Route 93 in Baltic, OH.
Dennison Railroad Depot Museum on Facebook
The 1873 Pennsylvania Railroad Depot has been
restored and features a museum about the local history of
Dennison, Ohio. Located at 400 Center Street in
The Farm at Walnut Creek
This working historical farm features exotic
animals and historic agricultural methods and implements.
Visitors can take a horse drawn wagon ride and tour the
barns and houses. Located at 4147 County Road 114 in
Fort Laurens State Memorial
was erected in 1778 in preparation for attack on the British
at Detroit. The fort is gone but the outline of it can
still be found and a museum is there as a memorial to the
soldiers who withstood the siege within it's walls.
Located on County Road 102 in Zoar, OH.
Reeves Victorian Home & Carriage House Museum
The beautiful Victorian home was once home to
Jeremiah E. Reeves, a prominent Dover industrialist.
Today the house is owned by the Dover Historical Society and
is operated as a museum. Filled with original antiques
and furnishings, the house appears much as it would have 100
years ago. The Carriage House Museum behind the hone
features a wide variety of historic vehicles. Located
at 325 East Iron Avenue in Dover, OH.
The John S. Yoder Home
Built in 1869, John S. Yoder Home offers
visitors answers to their questions about the Amish
lifestyle. Located at 116 Andreas Drive in Sugarcreek,
through the eyes of the first settlers. Schoenbrunn
was first settled in 1772 by Moravian Missionary, David
Zeisberger. Schoenbrunn Village grew and was the place
were Ohio's first civil code, Christian Church and
schoolhouse were started. Today, the recreated village
and museum gives visitors insight into the early settlement
of Ohio. Located at 1984 E. High Avenue in New
Temperance Tavern Museum
Look Inside the Museum] [History
The former Inn
and stop for passengers on the Ohio and Erie Canal was built
in 1841. Inside the building is the Olde Main Street
Museum and Social Center, creating two museums operated by
the Newcomerstown Historical Society. Located at 213
and 221 West Canal Street in Newscomertown, OH.
Ulrichsville Clay Museum on Facebook
Focused on the
history of Ulrichsville, known as the clay capital of the
world with over 30 clay manufactures. Located at 330
N. Main Street in Ulrichsville, OH.
Focus is on
master carver Earnest "Mooney" Warther. The museum
features exhibits about the life and times of Earnest
Warther and his carvings. Located at 331 Karl Avenue
in Dover, OH.
Zoar Village and Bimeler Museum
Founded in 1817
by German Separatists seeking escape from religious
persecution in their homeland. The Separatists created
one of the most successful communal settlements in American
history. Today, Zoar Village is comprised of about 75
families living in the homes built from 1817 to the present
time. Begin your tour of Historic Zoar Village at the
Visitor's Center located at 198 Main Street in Zoar, OH.
Union County Historical Society Museum
Housed inside an 1891 Queen Ann Styled brick
house which was bequeathed by Lieutenant Colonel Dana Woods,
the museum is operated by the Union County Historical
Society. The lovely home has been restored and
features gas light fixtures, stained glass windows, hand
carved and milled woodworks, and other Victorian
furnishings. Collections of historical artifacts and
items related to the history of Union County, Ohio are on
display in exhibits. The 1830s Weller Log Home has
been added to the property. It has been restored and
is furnished as it would have been in the early nineteenth
century. A research library is adjacent to the Museum.
Located at 246 W. 6th Street in Marysville, OH.
Van Wert County
Central Insurance Companies Fire Museum
Central Insurance Companies Fire Museum on Facebook
The museum features historical fire fighting
equipment dating back to the 1700s including horse drawn and
hand drawn pumpers. Located at 800 South Washington
Street in Van Wert, OH.
Clark Mansion / House of Seven Oaks
Operated by the Van Wert County Historical Society, the
historic house was built in 1895 by John O. Clark.
Today it is filled with period furnishings and local
historic artifacts. Located at 602 N. Washington
Street in Van Wert, OH.
Delphos Canal Museum
Housed inside historical structures which have been
connected, the museum is focused on the history of the Miami
and Erie Canal and displays the Margueritte, a canal boat
which has been pulled from the canal. Operated by the
Delphos Commission. Located at 241 N. Main Street in
Delphos Postal Museum
The Museum of Postal History is devoted education of the
public about the development of America, its technology and
culture through the influences of the U.S. Mail.
Located at 339 N. Main Street in Delphos, OH.
The Alverta Green Museum
Housed in a lovely Victorian house, the
museum features historical artifacts, documents, photographs
and other items related to the heritage of Mason.
Operated by the Mason Historical Society, the
museum also offers a research library for historical and
genealogical research. Located at 207 W. Church Street
in Mason, OH.
Caesar's Creek Pioneer Village
Caesar's Creek Pioneer Village is a complex
of over 15 log cabins and other historic structures creating
a living history museum. Located inside Caesar Creek
State Park at 3999 Pioneer Village Road in Waynesville, OH.
Fort Ancient was built by Native Americans over
2000 years ago. Evidence has been uncovered at the site,
leading experts to believe the site was once a ceremonial
gathering place for Hopewell Indians. There is a Native
American Museum at the site, where one can learn about the
history of prehistoric peoples and Native Americans of Ohio.
Located at 6123 State Route 350 in Oregonia, OH.
A historic mansion in Lebanon, OH. The
19th US Infantry Regiment Civil War re-enactment takes place
at the mansion annually. The mansion is located at 105
Cincinnati Avenue in Lebanon, OH.
The Harding Museum
Operated by the Franklin Area Historical
Society, the Harding Museum features historical artifacts
and objects collected by Major General Forrest Harding, a
founder of the society. Located at 302 Park Avenue in
The Log Post Office Museum
The 1805 structure is one of the oldest
standing post offices in Ohio. The museum holds
historical artifacts of that time period. Located at
the intersection of River Street and Fifth Street in
Museum at the Friends Home
Housed in the 1905 Friends Boarding Home, the
museum looks much as it did when Quakers and school teachers
lived there. The museum sits on top of Quaker Hill and
features 22 rooms of historic exhibits and artifacts focused
on early Quaker life and the local history of Waynesville
and surrounding communities. Located at 115 S. 4th
Street in Waynesville, OH.
Springboro Museum Center
The museum is devoted to the history of
Springboro and operated by the Springboro Historical
Society. Located at 110 S. Main Street in Springboro,
Warren County Historical Society Museum
1913 Harmon Hall, the museum features "The Village Green", a
row of small storefronts with displays of artifacts which
one would see in a typical Warren County community in the
olden days. There are 3 floors which are filled with
historical artifacts, Indian relics and other items of
interest. Located at 105 S. Broadway in Lebanon, OH.
Martius Museum of the Northwest Territory
The Campus Martius Museum was originally built in
1788 as a civilian fortification. Today it features 3
floors of historical museum exhibits focusing on the Northwest
Territory and the first settlement of Marietta. The Rufus
Putnam House is available for tours on the site as well.
The Ohio Company Land Office which is the oldest building in
Ohio has been moved to this site as well. Located at 601
2nd Street in Marietta, OH.
Built in 1855 for
Melvin C. Clarke, the first city solicitor of Marietta, The
Castle is a Gothic Revival styled structure. The beautiful
home has had a few different owners but finally was deeded as an
historical asset for the City of Marietta in 1992. Today,
The Castle offers docent guided tours of the home in which
visitors will learn about the history of the home and Marietta.
Located at 418 Fourth Street in Marietta, OH.
Farmer's Castle Museum Education Center
Operated by the
Belpre Historical Society, the museum features historical
artifacts and items related to the history of Belpre, Ohio
including an exhibit about the Ohio Underground Railroad.
Located at 509 Ridge Street in Belpre, OH.
Fearing House Museum
Built in 1847, the
home offers visitors a glimpse into the lifestyle of middle
class Marietta during the Victorian era. Operated by the
Washington County Historical Society, the Henry Fearing House
Museum is located in historical Harmar Village at 131 Gilman
Avenue in Marietta, OH.
Marietta Soda Museum
Features a vintage
soda fountain, shop and a museum of Coca Cola memorabilia.
Located at 109 Maple Street in Marietta, OH.
Matamoras Area Historical Society Museum
The museum is
housed inside a ca 1895 home and business of a funeral director
and is focused on the preservation of the history of the
Matamoras are of Ohio. Located at 200 Main Street in
Ohio River Museum
Focused on the
huge collection of artifacts and objects of the
Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen, the museum features 3 exhibit
buildings. Visitors will learn about the history of the
Ohio River and the steamboats that travelled it. Located
at601 Front Street in Marietta, OH.
Oliver Tucker Museum
Operated by the
Lower Muskingum Historical Society, the museum is housed inside
the 1835 home built by John Dodge, Esq. Located on Ohio
State Route 60, just one block from State Route 336 in Beverly,
West African Museum
Housing the Ellis
Perry collection of art and artifacts owned by Henry Burke, the
museum features items from Ghana, one of the largest slave
holding countries in Africa along with items related to the
history of the Underground Railroad. Located at 403
Scammel Street in Marietta, OH.
County Historical Society & Museum
The Wayne County
Historical Society operates a complex of historical buildings as
a museum. Historic structures include an 1873 on-room
schoolhouse, a General Mercantile Store, The 1824 Beall House,
the Kister Building and a replica of Fire House Relief Co., No.
4. Historical artifacts, Native American objects, antique
fire fighting equipment and many vintage items are on display.
Located at 546 E. Bowman Street in Wooster, OH.
Williams County Historical Society Museum
The museum is
operated by the Williams County Historical Society and features
historical artifacts and objects related to the early history of
Williams County. Located on the county fairgrounds in
of Fort Meigs]
A War of 1812
Battlefield in Ohio, Fort Meigs was built in 1813 to defend Ohio
and withstood two sieges by combined forces of British, Canadian
and Native Americans. The Fort has been reconstructed and
stands as a resource to educate the public about this time in
American history which happened over 200 years ago.
Located at 29100 W. River Road in Perrysburg, OH.
Little Red Schoolhouse
The Little Red
Schoolhouse was built in 1875 in Huron County. It has been
moved to the Bowling Green State University campus and is today
a living history museum. Located on the BGSU Campus.
The National Construction Equipment Museum
Focus is on the
collection, preservation and display of construction machinery
from the 1800s to present day. The collection currently
features over 90 machines. Located at 16623 Liberty Hi
Road in Bowling Green, OH.
Snook's Dream Cars
of the Car Collection]
Snook's is an
1940s service station where cars from the 1930s, 40s, 50s and
60s are featured on display in period scenes. Located at
13920 County Home Road in Bowling Green, OH.
County Historical Center and Museum
Housed inside the 1869 Wood County Home (Poor
Farm), the museum features over 30 rooms of historical artifacts
and items related to the early history of Wood County.
Includes exhibits about the early Native Americans, the Black
Swamp, the gas boom, the Civil War era and more. Located
at 13660 County Home Road in Bowling Green, OH.
Indian Mill Historic Site
Focused on the
history of the milling process, the museum is housed inside the
1861 Indian Mill. Located in Upper Sandusky, OH.
The Mohawk Museum
The museum is
devoted to the collection and preservation of the history of
Sycamore, Deunquat, Mexico, Berwick, Tymochtee, Smithville and
the Belle Vernon area of Ohio. Located at 101-105 N.
Sycamore Avenue in Sycamore, OH.
The Overland Inn
Overland Inn was
built in 1829 by Colonel Joseph McCutchen. The Wyandot
County Historical Society purchased the property in 1964 and
restored it to the days of the when the structure served as stop
for the stagecoach. Featuring period furnishings, the
structure is one of only two original stagecoach inns still
standing today in the state of Ohio. Located at 283 State
Highway 53 N in McCutchenville, OH.
Wyandot County Museum
Housed inside the 1852 Beery House, the museum
features historical artifacts and documents related to the
history of Wyandot County, Ohio. Located at 170 S. 7th
Street in Upper Sandusky, OH.
Museum Index for Other States
Ohio Census Records