Of Special Historic Interest
Family & Local Histories
NJ Historical Documents
New Jersey History Timeline
New Jersey Chronological History
New Jersey State Symbols
Historic New Jersey
1851-1991 Panoramic Photos
Beach Haven Then & Now
East Greenwich Old Photos
Egg Harbor City
Gloucester County Photographs
Highland Park Historic Photos
Long Beach Island Photo Gallery
Mercer County Vintage Postcards
Monmouth County Old Postcards
NJ Archives Historical Photos
New Jersey Churchscape
New Jersey Digital Highway
New Jersey Historic
Rutgers University Photos
Township of Hamilton Old Photos
Trenton, NJ Historical Photos
NJ Traveler Info
Free New Jersey Travel Guide
Search Phone Books
The researches of many
eminent antiquarians have already thrown much darkness on the subject;
and it is possible, if they continue their labors, that we shall soon
know nothing at all..... Artemus Ward
We investigate the past not
to deduce practical political lessons, but to find out what really
happened..... T. F. Tout
START YOUR FAMILY TREE!
We'll Start Searching for you!
Atlantic County Museums
Absecon Light House
New Jersey's tallest lighthouse was first lit in
1857 and today is open to the public where visitors may climb to
the top and view the Atlantic skyline. The site includes a
replica of the Light keeper's house, a museum and gift shop.
Located at Pacific & Rhode Island Avenues in Atlantic City, NJ.
American Heritage Museum of Southern New Jersey
Featuring the collection of Ralph E. Hunter, Sr.,
the museum provides exhibits of items related to the history and
culture of the African American people of Southern New Jersey
while providing a gallery for local African American artists.
Located at 661 Jackson Road in Newtonville, NJ.
Atlantic County Historical Society Library & Museum
Devoted to the history of Atlantic County,
the museum has an extensive collection of household items,
decorative arts, maritime exhibits and other historical
artifacts related to the history of Atlantic County.
The library holds historical documents, photos, maps and
family Bibles to help the researcher. Located at 907
Shore Road in Somers Point, NJ.
Atlantic City Historical Museum
Exhibits and Photos]
Garden Pier which was opened in 1913, the museum preserves
and displays the history of the seaside resort town of
Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Batsto Village Historic Site and Museum
[History] [Batsto Mansion]
Begin your tour at
the Batsto Village Visitors Center, where you can get a
brochure, information and tickets for the Batsto Mansion tour.
The museum is located inside the visitors center. There
is a Library and Archives for researchers but it is by
appointment only. Historic structures at the site
include the iron furnace, gristmill, sawmill, glass works,
cottages, ice house and others. Located in Wharton State
Forest at 4110 Nesco Road, Hammonton, NJ.
Brigantine History Museum
Operated by the
Brigantine Historical Society, the museum is focused on the past
heritage of Brigantine through exhibits of artifacts and
photographs of days gone by. Located at 3607 Brigantine
James Kirk Maritime Museum
features maritime history, tools and ship models by local
artisan Tom Adams. Located inside the Linwood Library at
301 Davis Avenue in Linwood, NJ.
features historical household items and artifacts from the past.
Located at 16 Poplar Avenue in Linwood, NJ.
Longport Historical Society and Museum
Focus is on the
history of Longport. Located at 2301 Atlantic Avenue in
Northfield Museum and Casto House
The historic house
features historical artifacts and antique items related to the
history of Northfield, formerly known as Bakersville.
Located in Birch Grove Park in Northfield, NJ.
The 1790 2 room
farmhouse is located at 8 Virginia Avenue in Northfield, NJ.
features displays of memorabilia and historical items related to
the heritage of Egg Harbor City along with a collection of
genealogical research materials. Located at 533 London
Avenue in Egg Harbor City, NJ.
Somers Point Historical Museum
Housed inside the
1886 Baptist Church, the museum is focused on the collection and
preservation of historical pictures and records of Somers Point.
Located at 745 Shore Road in Somers Point, NJ.
Township of Hamilton Historical Society Museum
Located at 49 Mill
Street in Mays Landing, NJ.
Bergen County Museums
Society of African Missions (SMA)
The museum is
devoted to the arts of Africa including sub-Saharan sculpture
and painting, costumes, religion and folklore. Located at
23 Bliss Avenue in Tenafly, NJ.
Hall of fame of New Jersey
Dedicated to the
preservation of New Jersey's aviation and space heritage, the
museum features 2 centuries of history. Visitors will find
exhibits of historic aircraft, air and space artifacts, photos,
fine art and a hall of fame devoted to the men and women who
have had outstanding aeronautical achievements. Located at
400 Fred Wehran Drive in Teterboro, NJ.
Campbell - Christie House
The Campbell -
Christie House was originally constructed in Milford, NJ ca
1774 by Jacob Campbell. Moved to River Edge in 1977,
it is owned by the Bergen County Historical Society and is
open for special events.
Fort Lee Historic Park
The 33-acre cliff
top park overlooks a reconstructed Revolutionary War encampment.
A Visitors Center features exhibits, a gift shop and an
auditorium showing history films about the fort. Enter
Fort Lee Historic Park on Hudson Terrace immediately south of
the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, NJ.
Fort Lee Museum
Housed inside the
1922 Judge Moore House, the museum is operated by the Fort Lee
Historical Society. Located at 1588 Palisade Avenue Avenue
in Fort Lee, NJ.
Forge and Farm
The ca 1719 Dutch
Colonial homestead is today, a living history museum which
demonstrates what simple farming life was like in the 1700s and
1800s. Located at 4-02 River Road in Fair Lawn, NJ.
The Hermitage is a
National Historic Historic Landmark and house museum. The
stone house was visited by General George Washington during the
Revolutionary War. Guided tours of the Hermitage are
featured. Exhibits of regional history are housed in the
musuem. Located at 335 North Franklin Turnpike in Ho-Ho-Kus,
Hopper-Goetschius House Museum
Built in 1739,
this pre-Revolutionary Dutch house was built by the Hopper
family and it is the oldest house still standing in Upper Saddle
River. The house was built on a large acreage of farm land
which was farmed by the Hopper family for many years. In
1814, the house became the property of Rev. Stephen Goetschius
of the Old Stone Church and remained in the Goetschius family
for over 1 1/2 centuries. In 1985 the house was given to
the Borough of Upper Saddle River. Today the house is
operated by the Upper River Historical Society as a museum and
is located among several other historical buildings in the same
area. Located at the corner of Lake Street and East Saddle
River Road in Upper Saddle River, NJ.
The Kearney House
House is a historic house that is also known as Cornwallis
Headquarters. Open seasonally for tours. Located in
Palisades Interstate Park at the north end of the Alpine Picnic
Area in Alpine, NJ.
The Little Red Schoolhouse
schoolhouse has been restored and is being operated as a museum
by the Lyndhurst Historical Society. Located at 400 River
Road in Lyndhurst, NJ.
The Mahwah Museum
is focused on the preservation, interpretation and display of
the history of the Mahwah community. Operated by the
Mahwah Museum Society, the museum holds artifacts, photos,
historical documents and records related to the history of
Mahwah, New Jersey. Exhibits include the Les Paul exhibit,
Civil War battles in NJ, the Lee Vold Gallery, a model
locomotive and an archives of Mahwah history. The Mahwah
Museum and Cooper Railroad are located on the SW corner of
Miller Road and Franklin Turnpike in Mahwah, New Jersey.
Maywood Train Station has been restored and houses a collection
of railroad memorabilia and local history items. Located
at 269 Maywood Avenue in Maywood, NJ.
Housed inside an
early 19th century farmhouse, the museum features exhibits of
historical items related to the past of the Meadowlands area.
Located at 91 Crane Avenue in Rutherford, NJ.
Revolutionary War Battleground site is operated by the Bergen
County Historical Society. Structures located on the
historic site include the
Steuben House, the
Campbell-Cristie House, the
Demarest House Museum, the 1899 swing bridge and a barn.
Historical artifacts and items related to the history of Bergen
County are on display. Located at 1205 Main Street in
River Edge, NJ.
The New Jersey
for repairs. The museum is home to the USS Ling, a WWII
submarine. Located at 78 River Street in Hackensack, NJ.
The Pascack Historical Society Museum
features artifacts and exhibits related to the history of life
in the Pascack Valley from the Lenape Indian days to the
present. Located at 19 Ridge Avenue in Park Ridge, NJ.
Housed inside the
1872 building which served as one of the first public schools in
Ridgewood, NJ, the museum is operated by the Ridgewood
Historical Society and is focused on the preservation of the old
Schoolhouse building along with the collection, interpretation
and exhibition of artifacts related to the history and culture
of the Ridgewood area and the people who lived there. Many
of these artifacts were donated by pioneer families of the area
and some date back to the Revolutionary War era. Across
from the Schoolhouse Museum is the old Paramus Reformed Church
and the Valleau Cemetery. Located at 650 E. Glen Avenue in
Ridgewood, New Jersey.
Museum is housed inside the Westwood Train Station.
Featuring exhibits of historical artifacts and items related to
the history of Westwood, the museum is located at Broadway &
Westwood Avenue in Westwood, NJ.
Wortendyke Barn Museum
The Dutch barn was
built ca 1770. The barn has been restored and is being
operated as a museum. Exhibits include antique farming
implements and tools, agricultural history and the history of
the Wortendyke family farm. Located at 13 Pascack Road in
Park Ridge, NJ.
Burlington County Museums
The museum features exhibits of vintage aircraft
and engines, a memorial library, a uniform area and an aviation
gallery. Located at 68 Stacy Haines Road in Lumberton, NJ.
American Indian Heritage Museum
Featuring the history of the Powhatan Renape
Nation, the museum provides exhibits of American Indian artwork
and American Indian history, culture and traditions.
Historical artifacts include tools, musical instruments,
clothing, weapons and decorative arts. Large dioramas
depict village life of many tribes. Located on the
Rancocas Indian Reservation on Rancocas Road.
Army Reserve Mobilization Museum
The museum is also known as the Fort Dix Military
Museum and educates visitors about the history of the U.S. Army
Reserve. Located on the Fort Dix side of Joint Base
McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst at 6501 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Burlington County Historical Society Museum Complex
The museum complex features 3 historic houses
including the Bard-How House, the James Fenimore Cooper House
and the Captain James Lawrence House. The Aline Wolcott
Museum features exhibits of local history. Located at 457
High Street in Burlington City, NJ.
Burlington County Prison Museum
The Burlington County Prison was completed in
1811 and was used until 1965. The outside of the prison
has changed very little and the interior still has original cell
doors and fixtures. Located at the corner of High Street &
Grant Street in Mt. Holly, NJ.
Historical Society of Moorestown
Housed inside the Smith-Cadbury Mansion, the
museum is focused on the collection and preservation of the
history of Moorestown Township. Located at 12 High Street
in Moorestown, NJ.
The Jack Allen Memorial Early Country Living Museum
The mission of the museum is to preserve and
exhibit farm and early country living artifacts. Located on
Landing Street in Southampton, NJ.
North Pemberton Railroad Station Museum and Rail Trail
The North Pemberton Railroad Station was built in
1892. Today, the historic train station is operated as
a museum of regional history and Welcome Center for the
Pinelands and Pemberton area of New Jersey. Located at 3
Fort Dix Road in Pemberton, NJ.
The Old Schoolhouse
Considered to be the oldest schoolhouse in
New Jersey on its original site, the one-room school was
built in 1759 and used as a school for over 100 years.
Special docent guided school tours are provided so students
can experience 18th century school life. Open by
appointment only. Located at 35 Brainerd St. in Mount
The former home of Alice Stokes Paul (women's
suffrage movement), offers guided tours where visitors will
learn about the life of Alice Stokes Paul through photographs,
documents and suffragist memorabilia. Located at 128
Hooton Road in Mt. Laurel, NJ.
Focus is on the history of the John A. Robeling's
Sons Company steel mill and the village of Roebling.
Located at 100 Second Avenue in Roebling, NJ.
Peachfield Plantation was established in 1674
by John Skene. The farmhouse was built by Quaker Henry
Burr in 1725. His descendants owned Peachfield
Plantation until 1896. The house was destroyed by fire
in 1928 but was restored on its original foundation and
walls between 1932 and 1945. The home is operated and
maintained by the National Society of The Colonial Dames of
America in The State of New Jersey and is open to the public
by appointment. Located at 180 Burrs Road in
Camden County Museums
Barclay Farmstead Museum
The historical farmstead was built in 1816 by a
Quaker farmer, Joseph Thorn. Operated as a living history
farm, visitors will get a glimpse into the lifestyle of the past
in South Jersey. Located at 209 Barclay Lane in Cherry
Battleship, New Jersey
offered a complete tour of the Battleship USS New Jersey.
The Battleship is located at 100 Clinton Street in Camden, NJ.
The Parking Garage is located at 1-99 South Delaware Avenue in
The Camden County Museum & Research Library
Operated by the Camden County Historical Society,
the museum features historical items, histories and
documentation of the memories of Camden County. Located at
1900 Park Boulevard in Camden, NJ.
Camden Shipyard and Maritime Museum on Facebook
Features the local maritime history including
boat and ship builders and the natural history of the Delaware
River. Located at 1910 S. Broadway in Camden, NJ.
Built in 1824 by Edward Zane Collings, the house
has remained in the Collings and Knight families until the
middle of the 20th century. Today, the house is filled
with antique furnishings and open for tours. Located at
the corner of Knight Park at 500 Collings Avenue in
Greenfield Hall was built in 1841 by John Gill
IV. The red brick Georgian mansion is today the home of
the Historical Society of Haddonfield. The house appears
much as it did in 1841 and features several rooms with period
furnishings. Other rooms hold the society's collections of
historic artifacts and items related to the history of the
Haddonfield area of New Jersey. A
research library is also located at the site which is inside
the Samuel Mickle House. Located at 343 Kings Highway E.
in Haddonfield, NJ.
Griffith Morgan House
Dating back to 1715, the Grifith Morgan house is
the oldest stone house in Camden county. The house has
been restored to the look of the 1770s. All three stories
hold reproductions and authentic artifacts related to life along
the Delaware during the 1700s. The house is open for
special events and features docents in period dress with
historic demonstrations of Colonial skills. Located at 243
Griffith Morgan Lane in Pennsauken Township, NJ.
Indian King Tavern Museum
the Tavern] [The
Tavern's mysterious cellar] [Archaeology]
Built in 1750, Indian King Tavern is on of the
most historic buildings in New Jersey and in fact is the very
first State Historic Site in New Jersey, attaining that status
in 1903. The Indian King Tavern remained open until 1873
during the temperance movement. Today, the tavern is
operated as a museum where visitors are allowed to tour some of
the refurbished tavern rooms. Located at 233 Kings Highway
East in Haddonfield, NJ.
Magnolia Historical Train Station Museum and Library
The historical train station is filled with the
records and files of the Historical Society including
photographs, historical documents, maps, business records and
other materials available for research. Rotating exhibits
of artifacts and objects of the past are exhibited.
Located at 215 West Atlantic Avenue in Magnolia, NJ.
The Peter Mott House
The Peter Mott House is the oldest known house in
Lawnside. Built in 1845, the house was home to Peter Mott,
an African American preacher and a stop on the Underground
Railroad. The house has been preserved by the Lawnside
Historical Society and is operated as a museum. Located at
26 Kings Court in Lawnside, NJ.
The Walt Whitman House
Built in 1848, the Greek-Revival style house was
home to Walt Whitman, "the Good Gray Poet". Today, the
house has been restored and visitors from around the world come
to visit the last home of the great poet, Walt Whitman.
Cape May County Museums
Cape May County Historical Museum
May County History & Early Settlers]
Housed inside the historic Holmes house built
ca 1830, the museum includes exhibits of furnishings,
costumes, tools, art, and household items dating from the
17th to 20th centuries. A military room, doctor's
room, maritime exhibits and the vintage barn which contains
antique carriages, coaches and wagons round out the
collections. There is a genealogy library located in
an annex of the John Holmes House. Located at 504
Route 9 North in Cape May, NJ.
Cape May Lighthouse
Experience a trip to the top of a lighthouse.
The site also features a Visitors Center and Museum Shop at the
base of the lighthouse. Located at 215 Lighthouse Avenue
in Cape May Point State Park.
Cape May Maritime Museum
This museum in the planning stages is focused on
the maritime history of Cape May, New Jersey. Plans for
the reconstruction of the 1876 Life Saving Station at the Old
Steamboat Landing Site are underway.
Contact the museum if you have questions or would like to
The Colonial House was originally a tavern and
family house of the Revolutionary War Patriot Memucan Hughes.
Built ca 1775, today it is operated by the Greater Cape May
Historical Society as The Colonial House Museum. Located
at 653 1/2 Washington Street in Cape May, NJ.
Dennis Township Museum and History Center
Housed in an old 1874 Dennisville school house,
the museum is focused on depicting the life and history of the
local area surrounding Dennisville. Located at 681
Petersburg Road in Dennisville, NJ.
Emlen Physick Estate
Completed in 1879 and home to Emlen Physick, this
is Cape May's only Victorian house museum, attributed to
renowned architect Frank Furness. Guided tours are offered
and visitors may purchase a combination
trolley / Physick Estate Tours. Located at 1048
George F. Boyer Historical Museum
Operated by the Wildwood Historical Society, the
museum is focused on the local history of Wildwood Located
at 3907 Pacific Avenue in Wildwood, NJ.
Hereford Inlet Lighthouse Web Site
The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is still a working
lighthouse as well as a museum. Open to the public for
guided and self guided tours, visitors will learn about the
history of Hereford and learn about the life of a lighthouse
keeper in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Located
in the Village of Anglesea at 111 North Central Avenue in North
Historic Cold Spring Village
step back in time to the Early American village of Cold
Springs. A living history museum featuring 22 acres of
shady lanes, gardens and a farm where historical plants and
crops are grown make a leisurely setting. There are 26
restored historic buildings on the grounds and docent tour
guides will educate and entertain visitors with tales,
lifestyles and crafts of yesteryear. Located at 720
Route 9 South in Cape May, NJ.
Station Wildwood Aviation Museum
The museum is
housed inside historic Hangar #1 at the Cape May Airport.
A collection of vintage aircraft, engines and other exhibits
related to aviation history are on display. Located at 500
Forrestal Road in Cape May Airport, NJ.
Ocean City Historical Museum
The focus is on
the history of Ocean City. Featuring historical heirlooms
and memorabilia of Ocean City, visitors will learn about early
life in Ocean City, explore a shipwreck filled with treasures
from the Far East and learn of the famous boardwalk, sandy
beaches, marshes and wildlife. Located at 1735 Simpson
Avenue in the Cultural Arts Center in Ocean City, NJ.
The Sam Azeez
Museum of Woodbine Heritage
celebrates the history of the Russian Jewish settlers who came
to Woodbine and developed the area as an agricultural colony.
Located at 610 Washington Avenue in Woodbine, NJ.
Sea Isle City
features historical artifacts and items related to the history
of Sea Isle City. Located at 4800 Central Avenue in Sea
Isle City, NJ.
Stone Harbor Museum
The museum is
focused in the history of Stone Harbor and features exhibits of
over 50,000 historic artifacts and items related that to that
heritage. Located at 235 93rd Street in Stone Harbor, NJ.
WWII Lookout Tower Museum & Memorial
Now open to the public, visitors may climb
this restored tower and learn about the role Cape May played in
homeland defense during World War II. See the Wall of
Honor dedicated to local veterans. Located across Sunset
Blvd at Sunset Beach in Cape May, NJ.
Cumberland County Museums
Bridgeton Hall of Fame All Sports Museum
individuals and teams of all sports in this region of New
Jersey. Exhibits of photos, equipment, scrapbooks and
other memorabilia are on display. A large trophy room
displays, medals, cups and trophies of John Borican, Olympic
all-around black athlete. The museum houses many artifacts
from famous professional athletes. Located in the Burt
Avenue Recreation Center in Bridgeton, NJ.
The Cumberland County Prehistorical Museum
features historical artifacts related to the Indians of New
Jersey and their culture. Located at 1461 Bridgeton Road
in Greenwich, NJ.
Delaware Bay Museum
Visitors to the
Delaware Bay Museum will find themselves transported to the
1920s in the heyday of the oyster industry. Located in
Bayshore Center at Bivalve at 2800 High Street in Port Norris,
East Point Lighthouse
Built in 1849, at
the mouth of the Maruice River, the Maruice River Historical
Society has been in charge of restoring the old light. The
lighthouse is open to the public for tours seasonally.
Located at 10 Lighthouse Road in Heislerville, NJ.
The Edward Compton House
The Edward Compton
House is the headquarters of the Mauricetown Historical Society.
Built in 1864, the home has been restored and holds a research
library along with exhibits of photos, maps, documents and other
artifacts related to the lives of the area watermen and their
families. Located at 1229 Front Street in Maruicetown, NJ.
The Gibbon House History Museum
The 18th century
mansion was built by Nicholas Gibbon and has been restored and
is furnished with period furnishings. The Barn Museum
contains implements used for gardening and agriculture in the
19th century. Located at 960 Ye Greate Street in
Historical Houses of Cumberland County
The John DuBois Maritime Museum
The museum houses a
large collection of Southern New Jersey maritime related objects
from the past. Located at 949 Ye Greate Street in
Army Airfield Museum
The museum preserves
U.S. Military aviation history. Programs and tours focus
on education about Millville's vital role in aviation history
and the history of the P-47 Thunderbolt. Located at the
Millville Airport at 1 Leddon Street in Millville.
The Nail Mill Museum
The museum features
a collection of artifacts from the early days of the American
Revolution. Currently closed for renovations.
Located at 1 Mayor Aitken Drive in Bridgeton City Park.
Sweden Colonial Farmstead Museum
Living History Center
The future of this
living history farmstead is undetermined at this time.
Palace of Depression on Facebook
Palace Depression was built by a destitute man in a Vineland,
NJ swamp of old auto parts, rocks, logs, mud and whatever he
could find in the swamp area. There is but a small part
of it still standing but archaeologists are going to excavate
and possibly reconstruct the home of George Daynor.
Seabrook Educational and Cultural Center
history of Seabrook Brothers and Sons and the establishment
of Seabrook Farms and Seabrook Village. Located inside
the Upper Deerfield Township Municipal Building on Highway
77 in Seabrook, NJ.
Vineland Hisotrical and Antiquarian Society Museum
features exhibits of artifacts and records related to the
history of Vineland. The large collection is housed in the
society's museum located at 108 S. Seventh Street in Vineland,
Arts and Cultural Center
Visitors to the
Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center will witness glass art created
in the Glass Studio and tour the Museum of American Glass which
features a fine collection of American produced glass.
Located at 1000 Village Drive in Millville, NJ.
Essex County Museums
The Charles Shultz House
The historic house
known as The Evergreens, was built in 1896 by Charles S. Shultz,
President of the Hoboken Bank for Savings. The 3 story
Victorian house was in the family for three generations until it
was donated to the Montclair Historical Society by Molly Shultz.
The house features eclectic furnishings and is in a virtually
untouched state of preservation. Located at 30 N. Mountain
Avenue in Montclair, NJ.
Grover Cleveland Birthplace
Cleveland, the 22nd and 24th president of the United States, was
born in this small house March 18, 1837. The historic
house is filled with historic artifacts and political
memorabilia devoted to the life and times of President
Cleveland. Open to the public, the house is located at 207
Bloomfield Avenue in Caldwell, NJ.
Israel Crane House and Historic YWCA
The Israel Crane
house was built in 1796. The Federal-style mansion was
home to three generations of the Crane family. In 1920,
the YWCA of Montclair-North Essex acquired it to use as offices,
dormitories and a social center for African American women.
Today, it is being preserved by the Montclair Historical Society
and tours are offered. Located at 110 Orange Road in
Milburn-Short Hills Historical Society Museum
Housed inside the
Hobart Avenue-side building at the Short Hills Train Station,
the museum hold items and exhibits related to the history,
architecture and genealogy of the towns of Short Hills and
Milburn. Located at Station Plaza in Short Hills, NJ.
The Museum of the Historical Society of Bloomfield
Historical Society features a collection of antique furniture,
clothing, household items, tools, and historical documents.
Located on the 3rd floor of the Children's Library at 90 Broad
Street in Bloomfield, NJ.
The Newark Museum
galleries of art and natural science, the Ballantine House,
the Newark Fire Museum and even
includes a planetarium and mini zoo. Located at 49
Washington Street Downtown in the Newark Arts District.
New Jersey Historical Society Museum
features collections of historic artifacts, paintings, ceramics,
glass, tools and other objects of historical significance along
with a library and archives. Located at 52 Park Place in
The Nutley Historical Society Museum
Historical Society is devoted to the preservation of the history
and culture of the community of Nutley. Located at 65 Church
Street in Nutley, NJ.
Thomas Edison National Historical Park
& Culture] [Photo
The site features
Thomas Edison's Queen Anne style mansion home and laboratory.
Visitors will learn about the life and inventions of America's
greatest inventor. Located at 211 Main Street in West
Gloucester County Museums
Heritage Glass Museum
Focused on the preservation and promotion of the
legacy of South Jersey's glass making history. Located at
25 E. High Street in Glassboro, NJ.
Hunter-Lawrence-Jessup House Museum
Operated by the Gloucester County Historical
society, the 18th century house was at different times, home
to tea burner, Reverend Andrew Hunter, James Lawrence and John
S. Jessup. Located at 58 N. Broad Street in Woodbury,
NJ. The society also operates the Gloucester County
Historical Library which specializes in genealogy materials
and research. The Library is at 17 Hunter Street,
South Jersey Museum of American History
Dedicated to the preservation of South jersey's
history and the exhibition of it in connection with American
history. Exhibits are related to Native American history,
Colonial history, the Pine Barrens, political history, and rural
history. Located at 123 E. High Street in Glassboro, NJ.
Hudson County Museums
Afro-American Historical Society Museum
features exhibits related to African-American culture.
Located on the second floor of the Greenville Public Library at 1841 Kennedy Boulevard
in Jersey City, NJ 07305.
Chief John T. Brennan Fire Museum
The Bayonne Hook
and Ladder Co. #1 was located in this firehouse form 1870
until 1928. Today it is a museum housing firefighting
memorabilia and the oldest hand drawn hose carriage in New
Jersey. 10 West 47th Street, Bayonne, NJ.
Hoboken Historical Museum
of Hoboken] [Hoboken
House Tour] [Hoboken
Dedicated to the
preservation and promotion of public interest in the rich
history of Hoboken, NJ, the museum is located at 1301 Hudson
Street in Hoboken, NJ.
Jersey City Museum
City History Timeline]
The museum is
focused on American visual art and in particular the historic
and contemporary art of the region around Hudson County.
Located in the historic Van Vorst district of Jersey City at
350 Montgomery Street.
Housed inside the
Kearny Public Library, the museum features displays of local
photos, vintage clothing, war memorabilia and high school
yearbooks. Located at 318 Kearny Avenue in Kearny, NJ.
Liberty State Park
Liberty State Park
is where the ferry boats depart as they transport visitors to
Ellis Island, the museum of immigration and the Statue of
Liberty. Located at 200 Morris Pesin Drive in Jersey City,
Hunterdon County Museums
Black River Railroad
Califon Historical Society Station Museum
Housed inside the
historic 1875 train station, the museum is home to the Califon
Historical Society and the town museum. Located at 25
Academy Street in Califon, NJ.
The Samuel Fleming
house was built in 1756 by Samuel Fleming, a tavern keeper.
The town of Flemington is named after Samuel Fleming. The
historic house is operated as a museum with docents giving
guided tours of the home and the beautiful terraced garden.
Located at 5 Bonnell Street in Flemington, NJ.
Holcombe-Jimison Farmstead Museum
Housed inside a
restored three story bank barn, the museum is focused on the
preservation of Hunterdon County's agricultural heritage.
Additional outbuildings on the property are a blacksmith shop, a
carriage shed, a print shop, the post office and general store.
Located at 1605 Daniel Bray Highway just north of Lambertville,
Living History Farm
The farm property
has been a rural farm since the 1730s. Today, the living
history farm exists as an example of farming in New Jersey
during the 1890-1910 time period. Located at 70 Wooden's
Lane in Lambertville, NJ.
The James Wilson Marshall House
The James Wilson
Marshall house was built in 1816 by Philip Marshall, a member of
one of the oldest families in New Jersey. Today, the house
is home to the Lambertville Historical Society and features
period furnishings along with historic items related to the
heritage of Lambertville. Located at 60 Bridge House in
Mills Complex features eleven historic buildings which include
the Grist Mill, a sawmill, linseed mill, the John Prall Manor
House, and the 1850s River House among others. Guided
tours are available. This historical industrial village
serves today as a cultural and historical center. Located
at 33 Risler Street in Stockton, NJ.
The Readington Museums
Museums provide an educational living history experience to
visitors and while preserving and promoting an understand and
appreciation of Readington's history and culture.
Structures include the
Cold Brook School,
Eversole-Hall House and
Taylor's Mill. Located at 114 Dreahook Road in
collection of more than 40,000 artifacts and 12 buildings, the
Red Mill Museum Village brings to life a history of rural
America. Visitors will explore the Mill, the Bunker Hill
Schoolhouse, a replica log cabin, a springhouse, and various
other outbuildings. Located at 56 Main Street in Clinton,
Solitude Heritage Museum
Housed inside an
1760 building built by the Union Iron Works, the museum features
a collection of relics and artifacts related to the iron works
and High Bridge. Operated by the Union Forge Heritage
Association, the museum is located at 117 Van Syckles Road in
Township of Lebanon Museum
The museum is
housed inside one room schoolhouse built in 1825. The
schoolhouse was used for over 100 years. Today, the first
floor is a recreation of a 19th century schoolroom with all the
furnishings. The second floor features exhibits related to
the history of Lebanon Township and the Lenape Indian history.
Located at 57 Musconetcong River Road in Lebanon, NJ.
Mercer County Museums
The Bainbridge House
Bainbridge house was built in 1766 by Job
Stockton, a prosperous tanner and cousin to Richard Stockton, a
signer of the Declaration of Independence. Known as one of
the oldest structures in Princeton, the house is occupied by the
Princeton Historical Society who provides exhibits related to
the local history of Princeton along with a research library.
Located at 158 Nassau Street in Princton, NJ.
The Benjamin Temple house was built ca1750 by
Benjamin Temple, early settler of the Ewing-Hopewell area.
The house is being preserved by the Ewing Township Historic
Preservation Society. Exhibits of historic artifacts and
documents from the past of Ewing Township are on display along
with a research library. Located in Drake Farm Park at 27
Federal City Road in Ewing, NJ.
Civil War Round Table and Museum, Inc.
The site features the Civil War and Native
American Museum housed inside the Pepper House, a two story,
seven room tenant house. Exhibits of Civil War relics,
uniforms, weapons and other items along with Native American
period related items are on display. Located at 2202 Kuser
Road in Hamilton, NJ.
Clarke House Museum
The museum is housed inside a Revolutionary War
period home and features a large collection of period firearms
from the American Revolution along with other Revolutionary War
artifacts. Located at the Princeton Battlefield at 500
Mercer Road in Princeton, NJ.
Built in 1835 by Charles Smith Olden, the
beautiful historic house has been the official residence of the
Governor of New Jersey since 1981. Public tours are
offered. Located at 354 Stockton Street in Princeton, NJ.
The museum features period furnished rooms and
displays of historic artifacts and items related to the history
of the Hopewell Valley of New Jersey. Located at East
Broad Street in Hopewell, NJ.
The John Abbot House
Operated by the Historical Society of Hamilton
Township, the John Abbot House was built in 1730 by John Abbott
and John Abbot II. The house has some American Revolution
history and has been preserved. Inside the house is a
collection of vintage physician's tools. Located at 2200
Kuser Road in Hamilton's Veterans Park.
Kuser Farm Mansion
Built in 1892, the Queen Anne-style home was
previously the summer home of Fred Kuser of the prominent Kuser
family whose business interests included Fox Film Corporation,
Lenox Company and the Mercer Motor Car Company. Today, the
house is a museum featuring period furnished rooms and offering
guided tours and educational programs. Located at 390
Newkirk Avenue in Hamilton, NJ.
Morven Museum & Garden
Morven mansion was built in the 1750s and has
been home to a signer of the Declaration of Independence and to
fine New Jersey governors. The last time the Governor's
Mansion was inhabited by a governor was in 1982. Since
that time, the Morven mansion has been restored and
archaeological research was conducted. Today, tours of
Morven mansion and the lovely gardens are offered telling the
story of the people who have lived at Morven through portraits,
furnishings and artifacts. Located at 55 Stockton Street
in Princeton, NJ.
The New Jersey Statehouse
The New Jersey
State House is the capitol building for the state of New Jersey.
Originally built in 1792, the stately and beautiful building has
been remodeled and added to over the years. Guided tours
of the State House are offered to the public. Lasting
about one house, a typical tour include the Senate and General
Assembly chamber galleries, a conference room, the rotunda and
the Governor's Reception Office. Located at 125 West State
Street in Trenton, NJ.
New Jersey State Museum
1895, the museum features extensive collections and exhibits
of archaeology, cultural history, fine art and natural
history. The main building and planetarium are closed
for renovations. Located at 205 W. State Street in
New Jersey State Police Museum and Leaning Center
Visitors to the New Jersey State Police Museum
and Learning Center will learn about the history of the New
Jersey law enforcement agency which was founded in 1921 along
with the history of the state itself. Located at the New
Jersey State Police Headquarters on at 1020 River Road
(Route 175) between Interstate 95 and West Upper Ferry Road in
West Trenton, NJ.
Old Barracks Museum
Historical Landmark was built in 1758. It has seem the
passing of many wars including the French and Indian War and
the American Revolution. Established as a museum in
1903, it has been fully restored twice and today serves as
an educational center for Colonial and American history.
Interpretive tours are featured along with a museum full of
artifacts and early weapons. Located on Barrack Street
in Trenton, NJ.
Trenton City Museum at the Ellarslie Mansion
The Trenton City Museum is housed in the historic
Ellarslie Mansion and features a fine collection of art and
artifacts related to the historical and cultural past of
Trenton, New Jersey. Ellarslie Mansion is an Italianate
villa built in 1848 and is the centerpiece of
Cadwalader Park. Located inside Cadwalader Park at 299
Parkside Avenue in Trenton, NJ.
Department Online Museum
The Updike Farmstead consists of a late 18th
century farmhouse, a large barn built in 1892, a wagon shed,
corn crib and other outbuildings. Operated by the
Princeton Historical Society, the Updike Farmstead is located at
354 Quaker Road in Princeton, NJ.
Washington Crossing State Park
Well known historical site of the American
Revolution, where George Washington and the Continental Army
crossed the icy waters of the Delaware River and defeated the
Hessian troops in a surprise attack. A Visitor Center
features galleries related to the Revolutionary War and the
Johnson Ferry House provides living history demonstrations
frequently. Located at 355 Washington Crossing -
Pennington Road in Titusville, NJ.
William Trent House Museum
This large home was built ca 1719 and home to William Trent.
Occupied by many different families, the Trent house was
donated to the city of Trenton in 1929. It has been
restored and opened to the public as a museum in 1939.
A visit to the grand home is like taking a step back in time
to the 18th century. Located at 15 Market Street in
The Barron Arts Center
Housed inside the
Barron Library building built in 1877, the art center is an art
museum and local history museum as well. Located at 582
Rahway Avenue in Woodbridge, NJ.
The 18th century
mansion is one of New Brunswick's oldest and most historic
landmarks. The house is filled with a large collection of
American decorative arts, furnishings, textiles and other
historic objects. Operated by the Jersey Blue Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution, the mansion will be open
for tours after the restoration which is currently in progress.
Located inside Buccleuch Park between Easton Avenue and George
Street in New Brunswick, NJ.
The Cranbury Museum
Museum is housed inside a house built in 1834 by Dr. Garret P.
Voorhees. The museum features collections of antique
furnishings, Indian artifacts and local memorabilia from the
past of Cranbury. Located at 4 Park Place East in
former Simpson Methodist Church built in 1862, the museum
features collections of pottery from the local stoneware
factories in the Village of Old Bridge, tiles from the Old
Bridge Enameled Brick and Tile Company, the art of James
Crawford Thom, a local 19th century artist and many historical
artifacts from the past of East Brunswick. Focus is on the
collection, preservation and interpretation of the history of
East Brunswick and surrounding communities. Located at 16
Maple Street in East Brunswick, NJ.
East Jersey Olde Town Village
The Village is a
collection of original, replica and reconstructed 18th and 19th
century structures. Today, the village is operated as an
educational model, teaching history, traditions, folk arts and
craftsmanship of the people who lived and worked in this area of
New Jersey in the "olden days'. Located at 1050 River Road
in Piscataway, NJ.
Thomas Edison Center
The museum is
focused on honoring the memory of Thomas A. Edison and educating
the public about the life of the man and his accomplishments.
Located in Menlo Park at 37 Christie Street in Edison, NJ.
The Metlar-Bodine House Museum
The house was
built in 1728. The historic site features over 1000
historical artifacts covering 350 years of history in the town
of Piscataway. Located at 1281 River Road in Piscataway,
Middlesex County Museum
Housed inside the
historical Cornelius Low House built in 1741, the museum
features rotating exhibits about state and local history.
Located at 1225 River Road in Piscataway, NJ.
Museum of the American Hungarian Foundation
The collections of
the museum are devoted to the Hungarian immigrant life with
focus on fine art, folk art and folk life. Located at 300
Somerset Street in New Brunswick, NJ.
Housed in the 1880 Wicoff House, the museum
features historical artifacts, photographs, documents, and
items related to the early history of Plainsboro and the
surrounding area. Located near the Plainsboro Library
and Municipal Center at 641 Plainsboro Road in Plainsboro,
The Proprietary House
Known as one of the
most historic buildings in the United States, the Proprietary
House was built in 1764 and has served as residence to New
Jersey's last Royal Governor, a hotel, a private mansion, a
retirement home, a boarding house and now as an office space and
museum. Today, guided tours are conducted of the historic
property. Spaces are also available for
rent. Located at 149 Kearny Avenue in Perth Amboy, NJ.
Monmouth County Museums
Town of Ocean
Allaire State Park and Historical Site
Historic Village at Allaire
Step back in time
with a visit to the living history village of Allaire.
Townspeople dressed in period dress will display their crafts,
demonstrate their skills and tell you about live in this 19th
century bog iron producing community. Historic
structures include Christ Church Chapel, a carriage house, the
stables and barn, a slaughter house and numerous historic
homes. Located on Route 524 in
State Park across from the NJ Museum of Transportation in
Wall Township, NJ.
Situated on historical
which is known for it's important roles in both WWI and WWII.
the Science History Learning Center and Museum is focused on
communication technology from the early days of spark-gap
wireless technology to 1998 when microwave, fiber optics and
satellite technology were worked on at this site. Work is
underway to open the Tiros 1 and 2 Ground Control Station
building as a space science education facility at the former
Project Dana site. Visitors to InfoAge will learn about
the pioneers of wireless, WWI, WWII, space exploration and the
Exhibits are extremely varied. They include a restored
fallout shelter, the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, a
shipwreck exhibit, radio technology, vintage computers, military
technology and electronic warfare. Located at 2201 Marconi
Road in Wall, NJ.
Keansburg Historical Society & Museum on Facebook
Located at 59 Carr Avenue in Keansburg, NJ.
Monmouth County Historic Houses
Monmouth County Historical Association Museum
Tour of Freehold]
The society operating since 1898 is in charge
of a museum, a library and archives and four historic sites
which include the 1752
Covenhoven House, 1754 Holmes-Hendrickson House, 1710
Allen House, 1756
Marlpit Hall and the 1853
Taylor-Butler House which is available for rental.
The main building is located at 70 Court Street in Freehold,
center for education and culture. Located at 765 Newman
Springs Rd., Lincroft, NJ on the campus of the Brookdale
National Guard Militia Museum of New Jersey
NJ Museum of Transportation [History]
Previously known as Pine Creek Railroad, the
museum houses many vintage pieces of railway equipment as well
as antique trains. Ride an old diesel locomotive while
there. Located on Route 524 in
State Park, Wall Township, New
of Ocean Historical Museum
The Township of Ocean Historical Museum occupies
Eden Woolley House in front of the Ocean Township Library and
part of Joe Palaia Park. The Eden Woolley House, circa
1747 is one of the few 18th Century Homes surviving in Ocean
Township. The house is an architectural gem and a 250+
year repository of local history. It was saved from
destruction in 2005 and moved 1,000 feet east to its present
location in Joe Palaia Park. It has been historically
restored and is open to the public to tell the story of Ocean
Township and its surrounding communities. The house was
occupied by the Woolley Family for most of its life. Eden
Woolley, for whom the house is named, occupied the house from
1835 until his death in 1892, and was one of the five men
elected to Ocean Township's first governing body when it was
formed in 1849. Located at 703 Deal Road in Oakhurst, NJ.
Morris County Museums
Acorn Hall - Ornate Italian mansion, home to Morris County Historical Society.
of Early Trades and Crafts
Housed in an ornate
1899 Richardsonian Romanesque Revival building, the museum
focuses on the early trades and crafts of early New Jersey.
The beautiful building has been newly restored so visitors
are in for a treat when visiting. Located on Main Street in Madison, NJ.
Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms
Stickley Museum is
situated on Craftsman Farms which was once the home of Gustav
Stickley (noted turn-of-the-century designer). The log
house was built in 1911 and has been restored. Restoration
of the historic landscape is underway. Guided tours are
educational events are offered throughout the year.
Located at 2352 Rt. 10-West, #5 in Morris Plains, NJ.
Ocean County Museums
Barnegat Lighthouse State Park
Originally lit in
1859, the lighthouse still provides a beacon of light that can
be seen for up to 22 nautical miles. The lighthouse is
open daily. Visitors may climb 217 steps to the top for a
magnificent view. An Interpretative Center is also open to
share the history of the Barnegat Lighthouse with visitors.
Located on the northern tip of Long Beach Island in Ocean
County, New Jersey.
Barnegat Light Historical Society Museum
[Historic Photos] [Lighthouse History]
Housed inside an old
elementary schoolhouse, the museum features the original Fresnel
lens that once topped the Barnegat Lighthouse along with photos
and other artifacts. Located at 5th Street and Central
Avenue in Barnegat, Light, NJ.
Barnegat Heritage Village
Heritage Village is
a collection of historic structures including the Lippincott-Faulkenburg
House, a barber shop, the Edwards House, a butcher house, a
motel cabin and a three hole privy. The "Village" is open
for tours. Located on East Bay Avenue in Barnegat, NJ.
Focused on the
local history of Berkeley Township, the museum is located
at 630 Atlantic City Blvd in Bayville, NJ.
The Cottage Museum
The Cottage Museum on Facebook
Operated by the
Island Heights Cultural & Heritage Association, the museum is an
1880s styled Carpenter Gothic summer cottage. Open to the
public with docent guided tours, the museum features displays
related to local history. Located at 105 Simpson
Avenue in Island Heights, NJ.
Double Trouble Village
On the eastern edge
of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, inside
Double Trouble State Park is
Double Trouble Village, where visitors will find a preserved
company town, a sawmill and a cranberry sorting and packing
house. Guided tours of the village are offered to the
public. Located off of Route 618 on Double Trouble Road in
Lacey and Berkeley Townships, NJ.
Giffordtown School House Museum
The museum is
housed inside a one-room school house built in 1884.
Students from West Tuckerton and Little Egg Harbor Township
areas attended the school from 1st through 8th grades. The
school was in operation until 1951. The schoolhouse was
moved to it's present location in 1977. Today, the museum
features a collection of artifacts related to the Tuckerton (Clamtown)
area including original documents concerning Ebenezer Tucker for
whom Tuckerton was named along with Quaker memorabilia,
antiques, exhibits about the Tuckerton Railroad and Tuckerton
Wireless Tower. Located at 35 Leitz Blvd & Wisteria Lane
in Little Egg Harbor, NJ.
Havens Homestead Museum
portion of Havens Homestead was a one room cabin with a loft
which was built prior to 1827. Over the years the Havens
family added to this cabin. The Havens Homestead was
occupied by the Havens family for 166 years. In 1993, the
house was donated to the Brick Township Historical Society.
Today, the house has been restored and is operated as a house
museum. Located t 521 Herbertsville Road in Brick, NJ.
The Heritage Park of Stafford Township
The centerpiece of
the park is the Old Stone Store from the 1700s. The
Manahawkin Train Station has also been located to the park and
is soon to be turned into a museum for local Stafford history.
Located on West Bay Avenue in Stafford Township, NJ.
John F. Peto
Celebrating the art
and life of trompe-l'oeil artist John F. Peto, the museum is
housed in the artist's former art studio. Located at 102
Cedar Avenue in Island Heights, NJ.
Lakehurst Historical Museum
Housed in the
former St. John's Church built in 1874, the museum features
features items from the Navy's rigid airship program including
the Hindenburg disaster, and items related to local history and
Lakehurst's past as a winter resort. Located at 300 Center
Street in Lakehurst, NJ.
The Long Beach
Island Museum is housed inside the 1882 Holy Innocent's
Episcopal Church. The museum collects and preserves
historical artifacts and photographs related to the history of
Long Beach Island. Located at 129 Engleside Avenue in
Beach Haven, NJ.
Loveland Homestead Museum
The Bay Head
Historical Society operated a restored 1867 farm home as a
museum. The museum features historic artifacts,
photographs and memorabilia related to the history of life in
the Bay Head area of the Jersey Shore. There is an area
for local art and special exhibits as well as lovely gardens to
enjoy. This museum is closed for repairs until spring
2016. Located 1643 Bay Avenue in Point Pleasant, NJ.
Long Beach Island Historical Association Museum
Housed inside an
1882 Episcopal Church, the museum features historical artifacts
related to the early life on Long Beach Island along with a
Victorian parlour, a kitchen, a collection of antique bridal
gowns and decoys carved by a local woodcarver. Located at
129 Engleside Avenue in Beach Haven, NJ.
Jersey Maritime Museum
Devoted to maritime
history, and in particular shipwrecks and artifacts from them.
Located at 528 Dock Road in Beach Haven, NJ.
New Jersey Museum of Boating
Focused on the
boating history of New Jersey. Located at 1800 Bay Avenue
in Point Pleasant, NJ.
Ocean County Historical Museum
Housed inside the
Pierson Sculthorpe House, a Victorian home built between
1820 and 1866, the museum is focused on the early lifestyle
and occupations of Ocean County people. Featured
collections include Native American artifacts, history of
aviation at Lakehurst Naval Air Station, Victorian
furnishings, Military memorabilia and other artifacts
related to the history of the Ocean County area.
Included at the site is a large library and research center
where visitors will find family history and historic
documents. Located at 26 Hadley Avenue in Toms River,
Ocean Gate Historical Society and Museum
Housed inside a
historic railroad station, the museum features displays of local
history and railroad history. Located at 800 Asbury Avenue
in Ocean Gate, NJ.
Point Pleasant Historical Society Museum
The Point Pleasant
Historical Society Museum is housed in the Point Pleasant Beach
Borough Hall. Exhibits related to the local history of the
area are on display. Located at 416 New Jersey Avenue in
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.
River Seaport Society & Maritime Museum
Devoted to the
maritime and boating history of New Jersey, the museum is
located at 11 Hooper Avenue in Toms River, NJ.
Tuckerton Seaport & Baymen's Museum
Devoted to the
maritime heritage of the Jersey Shore, the museum features
historic buildings, demonstrations, interpretive exhibits, live
aquatic displays and festivals. Located at 120 West Main
Street in Tuckerton, NJ.
Passaic County Museums
The museum is focused on the understanding of the
history of work, workers and the labor movement throughout the
world, with special attention to the ethnicity and immigrant
experience of American workers. Housed inside the historic
Botto House located at 83 Norwood Street in Haledon, NJ.
The Dey Mansion
was built between 1740 and 1750 by Dirck Dey, a Dutch planter.
George Washington used the house as a headquarters during the
American Revolution. Today, the Dey Mansion is open to the
public for tours and is a meeting place for several
Revolutionary War organizations where re-enactments of the
military events which once occurred there are recreated.
Located at 199 Totowa Road in Wayne, NJ.
Great Falls State Park
The beautiful 77 foot waterfall on the Passaic
River is home to a new state park. The Visitors Center is
located at 66 McBride in Paterson, NJ.
Hamilton-Van Wagoner House Museum
The Hamilton House Museum is a Restored Dutch
Farm House that has been restored into three time periods;
Victorian, Federal, and early American. The museum is a
living history museum. As you walk thru the Museum you can
imagine and feel how your forefathers lived. Knowledgeable
docents will describe to you how the people lived and also tell
some of the local history. Visitors are invited to "Walk
in the Footsteps of the Past" Located at 971 Valley Road
in Clifton, NJ.
Hungarian Museum is focused on the preservation, exhibition and
cultivation of Hungarian culture in one of the largest Hungarian
communities in the United States. Featuring exhibits of
folk art, folk-crafts and examples of the art through historical
artifacts, photos and other items brought from the old country
or made in the Hungarian community, the museum is located in the
old ethnic neighborhood of Passaic New Jersey and housed inside
the Reid Memorial Library at 80 Third Street.
Lambert Castle Museum
of Lambert's Castle]
Located in Paterson, NJ, this 1892 mansion
was originally home to wealthy silk manufacturer Catholina
Lambert. Now functioning as a museum in the Garret Mountain
Reservation, the view of New York City from the tower is
breathtaking. Lambert Castle is home to the
Passaic County Historical Society and includes a
local history and genealogy library.
Long Pond Ironworks Museum
Founded in 1766, the ironworks was a huge
operation. Located in West Milford, the site is listed on the
national register of historic places and contains a museum and
visitors center. At various times of the year, interpretive
tours are offered and it becomes a living history museum on
Located in the Thomas Rogers Building at 2
Market Street, the museum was founded in 1925 and at that time
consisted of natural history objects of the area. Today, it
still contains one of the largest collections of minerals in
NJ but you will also find many artifacts detailing the history
of Paterson. Located at 2 Market Street n Paterson, NJ.
The historic house once belong to Peter Cooper
and Abram S. Hewitt, prosperous ironmasters. In 1938, the
house, it's contents and the surrounding property were donated
by the family to the State of new Jersey as a museum and state
park. Guided tours of the house and grounds are featured.
Visitors will find a vast assortment of historic artifacts,
furnishings and objects related to the history of the area and
the families. Located at 1304 Sloatsburg Road in Ringwood,
Salem County Museums
Built in 1734, the
Hancock House was home to a prominent Salem County family.
In 1778, the Hancock Bridge massacre occurred at the site.
The Hancock House has been open to the public as a museum since
1932. Located at 3 Front Street in Hancocks Bridge, NJ.
Historical Society of Penns Grove, Carneys Point and Oldmans
The museum is
dedicated to the preservation of history of the communities of
Penns Grove, Carneys Point and Oldmans. Located at 48 W
Main Street in Penns Grove, NJ.
Pennsville Church Landing Farmhouse Museum
tours remind visitors of an earlier time when the only way
to get to Wilmington was by ferry. Beautiful 19th
century furnishings and historic flower and herb gardens are
delightful. Located at 86 Church Landing Road in
Salem County Historical Society Museum
The museum is
housed inside 4 historic houses. The main house is the
1721 Alexander Grant Mansion, Along with exhibits and
artifacts from the history of Salem, the society also offers
a research library at the museum location. Located at
79-83 Market Street in Salem, NJ.
Somerset County Museums
Abraham Staats House
This fine home
which is a survivor from the Dutch Settlement of the Raritan
Valley was built in the 18th century. The original
house has been expanded many times over the years and
provides an interesting history which includes service in
the American Revolution as the headquarters of General von
Steuben. Located at 17 Von Steuben Lane in South Bound
Historic Sites of Somerset County
Jacobus Vanderveer House & Museum
With a simple
beginning as a Dutch frame house built ca 1760, the home has
been expanded with additions over the years. The house
has been restored and much of the original structure is
intact providing a glimpse into yesteryear. The house
is said to have served as a headquarters of General Henry
Knox. Located in the River Road Park on Route 202/206
in Bedminster Township, NJ.
Old Millstone Forge
blacksmith shop and museum is operated by one of the oldest
living history groups in this area. The museum teaches
about industrial life in rural America. Located on
North River Street in the historical town of Millstone, NJ.
General George Washington's headquarters during the final
stages of the Revolutionary War, Rockingham was formerly
known as the Berrien Mansion. The original structure
was a farmhouse build ca 1702-1710 and was enlarged in the
1760s by Judge John Berrien. The home features 18th
century furnishings, a children's museum and the Colonial
kitchen garden. Moved numerous times and fully
restored, the site is operated by the State of New Jersey,
State Parks Service. It is located on Laurel Avenue
(Route 603) in Rockingham, NJ.
Somerville Fire Department Museum
features antique firefighting equipment and historical items
about the history of firefighting and the volunteer fire
department in Somerville, New Jersey. Located on N.
Doughty Avenue in Somerville, NJ.
Van Veghten House
the Somerset County Historical Society, the Dutch house was
built in the early 1700s of brick and served as a
headquarters for Quartermaster General Nathaniel Green
during the years 1778 and 1779. Features include a
library. Located at 9 Veghten Lane in Bridgewater, NJ.
Home to John
Wallace, a Philadelphia merchant, it was originally a
farmhouse built in the 1700s. John Wallace added in an
eight room Georgian mansion ca 1775 and it became the
largest house built in New Jersey during the Revolutionary
War. Nearby is
The Old Dutch Parsonage which was built ca 1751.
Located on Washington Place in Somerville, NJ.
Crane-Phillips Living Museum
Victorian cottage is known as "The Little House on the
Rahway". It was home to Josiah Crane Jr,
great-grandson of the original miller on North Union Avenue.
Today it houses a museum which will depict life in 19th
Century Cranford. Located at 124 North Union Avenue in
Drake House Museum
The original 1746 Drake family house is
inside the 1880s Harberger cottage. The museum is rich
in history and contains unique collections of historical
artifacts, images and documents. At this house, George
Washington consulted with officers about The Battle of Short
Hills which was fought in the Plainfield area June 25-27,
1777. Located at 602 W. Front Street in Plainfield,
Liberty Hall Museum
Liberty Hall Museum at Kean University
chronicles more than 200 years of American history.
Built in 1772 by New Jersey’s first elected governor and
signer of the Constitution, William Livingston, the
Victorian-style mansion houses extensive collections of
antique furniture, ceramics, textiles, toys and tools owned
by seven generations of the Livingston/Kean families.
The Firehouse is the latest addition to the Museum’s complex
housing two antique fire engines and a collection of fire
Liberty Hall is located at 1003 Morris Avenue in Union, New
Jersey. It is open to the public Wednesday through Saturday
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays. For
information about upcoming events or make reservations, call
Merchants and Drovers Tavern Museum
[History] [Rahway Cemetery Tours]
Miller-Cory House Museum [History]
1741 and put into use in 1743, this colonial iron furnace
was in operation for over 140 years. It is currently
being restored. Located inside Oxford Furnace Lake
Park in Oxford, NJ.
Museum Index for Other States