Of Special Historic Interest
Genealogy at Ancestry.com
Georgia History Timeline
Georgia State Symbols
This Day in Georgia History
1851-1991 Panoramic Photos
1923-1975 Tracy O'Neal Photos
Digital Library of Georgia
Georgia Historic Document Images
Marietta Photo Archives
Rabun County Historical Photos
Taylor County Photos
from the Georgia Archives
Free Georgia Travel Guide
Search Phone Books
History is not history unless
it is the truth..... Abraham Lincoln
With the historian it is an article of faith that
knowledge of the past is a key to understanding the present.....
START YOUR FAMILY TREE!
We'll Start Searching for you!
Andalusia Farm - Home to Flannery O'Connor
The Andalusia Foundation promotes the
understanding of the life, times and accomplishments of Flannery
O'Connor (renowned author and scholar). Located on Hwy 441
about 4 miles NW of Milledgeville, GA.
The Old Governor's Mansion
Completed in 1839, the Old Governors Mansion is one of the
finest examples of High Greek Revival architecture in the
nation. Designed by noted architect Charles Clusky, an Irish
immigrant, and built by Timothy Porter of Farmington,
Connecticut, the Mansion looms over Milledgeville with its
stately columns and imposing facade. Serving as the residence
for Georgia's chief executives for over thirty years, the
Mansions history encompasses the antebellum, Civil War, and
early Reconstruction phases of the states history. Such noted
state leaders as George Crawford, Howell Cobb, and Joseph E.
Brown resided in the building and used it as a stage for
speeches and also to introduce guests of national standing.
During the Civil War, the Mansion was claimed as a prize in the
March to the Sea, when General William T. Sherman headquartered
in the building on November 23, 1864. Following the war,
Georgia's seat of government was relocated to Atlanta, and the
Mansion was abandoned. Given over to Georgia Normal & Industrial
College (currently known as Georgia College & State University)
in 1889, the Mansion served as the founding building of the
institution and is the campus' most treasured structure.
Beginning in the late 1990s, an initiative was begun to return
the Mansion to its antebellum splendor. Following five years of
intensive historical, structural, and material research, the Old
Governors Mansion began its long awaited historic restoration in
November of 2001. Funded through the Georgia General Assembly
and a generous grant from the Woodruff Foundation, over three
years of painstaking work has restored the original layout,
colorations, lighting, and appearance of the building. The award
winning project was selected by the Georgia Trust for Historic
Preservation for its Excellence in Restoration Award and the
prestigious Marguerite Williams Award for Excellence in
Preservation along with two of the Georgia Historical Society's
Roger K. Warlick Awards for Excellence in Preservation and
The Old Governors Mansion now serves as a historic house museum
and is available for individual and group tours. In addition to
these operations, the Mansion has an Education Building used for
tour orientations, lectures, symposia, and exhibits on the
history and archeology of the building. Following your tour,
enjoy our renowned Museum Store which includes unique gifts,
books, jewelry, and art. Please contact the Mansion office at
(478) 445-4545 for tour information. The Old Governors Mansion
was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
Blue & Gray Museum
Housed inside a historic railroad depot.
The museum is dedicated to the founding of Fitzgerald and it's
roots in the Civil War. Fitzgerald was founded as a colony
of Union Veterans in 1895. Located at 116 N. Johnston
Street in Fitzgerald, GA. Just 9 miles from Fitzgerald,
you can visit the
Jefferson Davis (president of the Confederacy) capture site.
House & Museum
House was built ca 1854 for Judge Asa Holt and family.
The house gained it's name due to being struck by cannonball
fire during the Civil War. The house features
Antebellum furnishings and many military artifacts are on
display in the military museum. Located at 865
Mulberry Street in Macon, GA.
House - Palace of the South [History]
Johnston-Felton-Hay house was built between 1855 and 1859 in
Macon, GA. The house has over 18,000 square feet and
includes a 3 story cupola on top. Today tours are
offered. Located at 934 Georgia Avenue in Macon.
National Monument and Indian Mounds
monument is a celebration and memorial to the continuous
record of human life in this part of North America which
represents more than 12,000 years of human habitation.
Artifacts as old as 12,000 years are on display and the
mounds built by the Mississippian Period Moundbuilders,
remain as a reminder of the ages past. 1207 Emery
Highway in Macon, Georgia.
African American Museum
Devoted to the
education of people about African American art, history and
culture. Located at 340 Walnut Street in Macon, GA.
Richmond Hill Historical Society and Museum
Housed in the old Henry Ford Kindergarten, the
museum features the early development and history of Bryan
County, GA. Located on the corner of Ford Avenue and
Timber Trail Road in Richmond Hill, GA.
Andrew Low House
Erected in 1849 for
the richest man in Savannah, Andrew Low, it was home to Juliette
Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts) from 1886 to 1927.
Today it is owned and operated by the National Society of The
Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia. The
house if filled with period antiques and furnishings.
Docent guided tours are offered. Situated on the southwest trust
lot on Lafayette Square in Savannah, GA.
Georgia Museum of Natural History
Devoted to the preservation of the cultural
and natural heritage of Georgia and beyond. Located at the
University of Georgia in Athens, GA.
Historical Jonesboro - Stately Oaks
Stately Oaks is an 1839 Antebellum plantation
home. Tours are provided by docents in authentic period
dress. Location is 100 Carriage Lane at Jodeco Road in
Gone With The Wind Museum
Gone With The Wind memorabilia. Located in Scarlett on
the Square at 18 Whitlock Avenue, Marietta, GA.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
Civil War battles were fought just west of downtown
Marietta, GA. For information stop by the
Marietta Visitors Center located at 4 Depot Street in
See the Park Brochure.
Marietta Confederate Cemetery
Confederate Cemetery started in 1863 as a final resting
place for Confederate soldiers who died in Marietta
hospitals, The Battle of Kolb's Farm and the Battle of
Marietta Museum of History
Housed inside the
Kennesaw House, the museum contains historical artifacts
related to the history of Marietta, Georgia. Located
at 1 Depot Street, Suite 200, Marietta, GA.
Root House Museum
Root House was built ca 1845 and was home to early settlers
of Marietta - William and Hannah Root. Costumed tour
guides provide visitors with some history of the house, the
Root family and pioneer life in Marietta, Georgia.
Located at 145 Denmead Street in Marietta, GA.
Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History
Museum of Colquitt County History
& Colquitt County History]
features exhibits and artifacts related to the history of
Colquitt County. Located at the corner of 4th Avenue &
5th Street SE in Moultrie, GA.
Stone Mountain Park - Confederate Memorial
The Stone Mountain
carving of Confederate leaders is spectacular and visitors can
ride a skyride right up to it. The 3200 acre park is much
more than this however with a paddlewheel riverboat on Stone
Mountain Lake, a historic
plantation, pedal boats and Duck tours. Stone
Mountain Park is located on U.S. Highway 78 in Stone Mountain,
Albany Civil Rights Movement Museum
Thronateeska Heritage Center
Operated by the
Thronateeska Heritage Foundation, the museum features history of
Albany and SW Georgia, a planetarium and a science discovery
center. Located at 100 W. Roosevelt Avenue in Albany, GA.
Dorsey - Fife House Museum
This lovely Greek
revival antebellum house was built in 1855 by the Holliday
family. The home today features historical artifacts and
items related to the history of Fayetteville and the surrounding
area. Located at 140 Lanier Ave W. in Fayetteville, GA.
Rome Area History Museum
Focusing on the
preservation and presentation of the history of Rome and Floyd
County, Georgia, the museum features a walk through time
starting with the Native American and early settlers of the area
through the Civil War and on into industrial development.
Researchers will find an
archives, housing historic photographs, books and
manuscripts pertaining to the northwest region of Georgia.
Located at 305 Broad Street in Rome, GA.
Apex Museum - African American Panoramic Experience
Atlanta History Center [Exhibitions]
features collections about the Civil War, Southern Folk
Arts, and other award winning exhibits related to the
history of Atlanta and the surrounding area. The
center boasts 33 acres of historical gardens featuring
plants from the past. Location is 130 W. Paces Ferry
Road NW in Atlanta, GA.
Fernbank Museum of Natural History
Walk Through Time in Georgia]
the life-long learning of natural history, the museum
features hands on exhibits, a dinosaur exhibit, the
developmental history of Georgia, a Star Gallery, an
aquarium and an IMAX theater. Located at 767 Clifton
Road NE in Atlanta, GA.
Georgia Old Capitol Museum
Focused on the history and culture of the
Milledgeville / Baldwin County area of Georgia. Located inside
the old statehouse on the campus of the Georgia Military
College in Milledgeville, GA.
Georgia State Archives
of Rhodes Hall]
known landmark in Atlanta was built in 1904 as the residence
of the Amos Rhodes family. Today it is the
headquarters for the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation
where tours are offered and it can be used for special
events such as weddings. 1516 Peachtree Street NW in
Stetson Sanford House
This ca 1825
Federal style house was built for George T. Brown. It
was operated as the US Hotel and later the Beecher-Brown
Hotel during the time when Milledgeville served at the
capital of Georgia. It was later owned by Daniel B.
Stetson whose daughter married Daniel B. Sanford. The
house was known as the Sanford House Tea Rom between 1951
and 1966. Today it is owned by the Old Capitol
Historical Society and has been relocated to the grounds of
Old Capitol Museum.
1928 for the Edward Inman family, the beautiful mansion is
available for tours and features original furnishings
belonging to the Inmans. Located at 130 W. Paces Ferry
Rd. in Atlanta, GA.
Tullie Smith Farm
Built in the
1840s, this plantation house belonged to the Robert Smith
family. Remarkably surviving the Civil War, the
plantation was not of the grand style but rather a yeoman
farm. Visitors are led by costumed tour guides,
learning about the rural past of Georgia. The house is
surrounded by out buildings, including a smokehouse,
blacksmith shop, an open-hearth kitchen and even a log
cabin. Living history activities such as basket
weaving, candle making, spinning, weaving and quilting will
take visitors back in time to 19th Century Georgia.
Located at 130 W. Paces Ferry Road in Atlanta, GA.
St. Simons Island Lighthouse Museum
Macon County Historical Museum
Devoted to the
preservation and interpretation of the history of Macon County,
Georgia, the museum is housed inside Montezuma's 1890 depot.
Visitors will learn about the places and families of the towns
on the banks of the Flint River. Located at 97 South Dooly
Street in Montezuma, GA.
Built in 1864, this Greek Revival style house was the historic
home of statesman & Senator
Thomas Edward Watson. Located at 502 Hickory Hill
Drive in Thomson, GA.
Civil War Naval Museum
Located at Port Columbus, 1002 Victory Drive, Columbus, GA.
Built for James
Rankin (a planter from Scotland) the mansion was started before
the Civil War but was not completed until after its end.
The lower floor has been restored to the Victorian style of the
1860s and is open to the public for tours. Owned by the
Historic Columbus Foundation, it can be found at 1440 Second
Avenue in Columbus, GA.
Polk County Historical Society Museum
historical artifacts, antiques and documents related to the
history of Polk County, Georgia, the museum is housed inside a
lovely 1921 building which once served as the Hawkes Children's
Library. Located at 205 N. College Street in Cedartown,
Augusta Museum of History
Focused on the collection, preservation and
exhibiting the history of the Augusta, Georgia area.
Located at 560
Reynolds Street, Augusta, Georgia.
Ezekiel Harris House
Built in 1797, the
house was the home of wealthy tobacco planter Ezekiel Harris.
Fully restored and on the National Register of Historic Places,
tours are offered. Some claim it is
haunted. Located at 1822 Broad Street, Augusta,
Historic farm home
of Georgia statesman, George Walton. The original
structure was built ca 1790 and contains period furnishings and
was opened to the public in 1901. This National Historic
Landmark is located at 1320
Independence Avenue in Augusta, GA.
Woodrow Wilson Boyhood Home
Located at 419
Seventh Street in Augusta, GA.
Westville Living History Museum
Andersonville National Prisoner of War Museum
[Echoes of Captivity: 3 minute movie trailer] [Order Movie]
Thomas County Museum of History
Agrirama - Georgia's Living History Museum and Learning Center
and Dales Estate
and Ferrell Family Biographies]
The centerpiece of
the 35 acre Hills & Dales Estate is the 1916 Italian villa home
of textile magnate Fuller E. Callaway, a home designed by Neel
Reid of Atlanta and Macon, Georgia. Adjacent to the house
are the magnificent pre-Civil War Ferrell Gardens which includes
an extensive boxwood garden, herb garden, greenhouse, fountains
and garden statuary. The house and gardens are
complemented by a visitor center where guests can view family
artifacts, displays and our orientation film. Visitors may
tour all 30 rooms of this lovely home filled with original
furnishings. Tours take about 45 minutes and includes vast
knowledge of the house, it's interior and the families who lived
there. Located at 1916 Hills & Dales Drive in LaGrange,
The home of Governor Henry Dickerson McDaniel was
built in 1887 in the Italianate style, remodeled to the
Neo-Classical style in 1930. Henry McDaniel fought in the civil
war, brought prosperity to Monroe through the cotton mills and
lead the commission to build the state capital. He served as
Governor of GA from 1883 to 1886. The house is furnished with an
eclectic collection of the three generations who lived here from
1887 to 1990. Landmark is located at 319 McDaniel Street,
Okefenokee Heritage Center
With the primary focus on the culture and history
of Waycross and the surrounding area, Okefenokee Heritage Center
is situated on twenty acres of pine woodlands. Exhibits
include a 1912 steam locomotive with a mailcar, passenger car
and a caboose, the Native American Founder's Hall, Hilliard
House, Sacred Harp, a Black Heritage Exhibit and monthly
displays of art. Located at 1460 N. Augusta Aveune in
Washington Historical Museum
Housed in an 1857 historical house, the museum
collections are focused on the early history of the area and
include Civil War relics, Indian artifacts, historical documents
and original photographs. Located at 308 E. Robert Toombs
Avenue in Washington, GA.
Museum Index for Other States